Robin Williams commits suicide

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I have a co-worker that found her son dead via suicide in her house. I can't think of a worse thing to do to a parent. If you want kill yourself, write a note and go somewhere and do it where your loving parent isn't going to find you.

Yeah, my cousin did it at his father's business. (I don't think there was symbolism there, more opportunity related, but who knows) Dad found him and I don't think it was unrelated that they sold the business within 5-10 years.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I really don't care about people I have never meet but suicide sucks. I have had 3 buddies do it and one person that used to work work for me. Its just a ****** situation for everyone left.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I have such a hard time with people who are critical of those who commit suicide. If they ever knew what it felt like to be in such a deep dark hole with no hope of ever getting out. Pain that is so bad that death appears to be the only relief. I thank God I've never experienced that and I pray to God that nobody in my family ever will.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Google imaged street performers (it has to do with our survivor game) and saw a photo of robin Williams in NYC street performing in the '70s about an hour before I heard the news. I was really weirded out.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
A lot of people don't understand suicide. Just like a lot of people don't understand mental illness. Depression is one of the toughest things people go through. You don't consider everything that is going on around you and you just want the misery to go away. You are so consumed in the idea of what you can do to end the problem that you don't even consider anything else going on around you and how others are affected. Please do not judge someone with depression unless you have gone through the same problems.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I promise you that most, if not all, depressed people that resort to suicide aren't healthy enough to realize what they are doing isn't helping or making the world a better place. Depression is a real illness and is a chemical problem with the brain. It's not a bad mood or something you can snap out of.

Most of the time, people that are depressed and their loved ones are trying to get better. Sometimes it doesn't work and that is incredibly tragic.

telling someone to snap out of depression is like telling someone to get taller. Or just quit having cancer. It doesn't work like that.

Applying your own logic and rationale to the mind of someone who is depressed does not work because their thinking is not rational. Suicidal thoughts are not rational. Their mind convinces them that they are stuck in a hopeless pit in which everyone will be happier and better off if they are no longer living.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
telling someone to snap out of depression is like telling someone to get taller. Or just quit having cancer. It doesn't work like that.

Applying your own logic and rationale to the mind of someone who is depressed does not work because their thinking is not rational. Suicidal thoughts are not rational. Their mind convinces them that they are stuck in a hopeless pit in which everyone will be happier and better off if they are no longer living.

Why did you choose that example cowgirl?

:wink:

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I just can't imagine the state of mind that one goes through when they commit suicide. I wouldn't wish that kind of sickness or cancer on anyone. So sad that the man that made so many people laugh had his life end this way.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Why does this stuff always happen to great actors and people instead of all the ones that are terrible role models and are basically trying to kill themselves

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
A friend of mine attempted suicide. His mom found him with enough time to save him after taking enough pills to kill multiple people. He was flat ****** he was alive afterwards. It was such a weird concept to me. After spending time with him in the hospital it hits you just how badly he wanted to die. He felt he was a nuisance to everyone and was doing it for us (he had drug issues). In his mind he was being selfless, killing himself meant his parents wouldn't be stressed and worry anymore and live their lives. It changed the way I viewed everything. I still don't think I fully comprehend what was going on in his head, but it was far more complex than "life sucks I'll just kill myself" like most think it is.

He has since turned things around. There was a group of us that spent a lot of time visiting him in rehab and lots of late night phone calls. He's in the twin cities doing well and even handled one of our friends dying from cancer way better than we thought he would. He still has tough days on occasion but knows he's not a nuisance and can call whenever he needs to talk. Who knows what the future holds for him but he has been clean and sober for a long time and has found ways to deal with his depression.

My main point for the story is you can't just say "how selfish". Working with my buddies therapist I learned so much about suicidal thoughts. Some peoples mental illness gets so deep they view themselves as nuisances, unworthy of love, etc. They are at such a dark point they believe they are helping loved ones by getting rid of the "nuisance". It truly is a sad place to be mentally.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Why does this stuff always happen to great actors and people instead of all the ones that are terrible role models and are basically trying to kill themselves

I think it's because great actors and people truly see the world as it is.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I think it's because great actors and people truly see the world as it is.

Pfft! First, being a great actor doesn't automatically make one an enlightened individual, even though they all seem to think so. Second, there are plenty of great people who have a very positive outlook on life and don't suffer from depression and drug problems.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I'm stunned and really really sad. Such a bright light that went out today.

I loved almost all of Robin's work. He could perform so many roles so well.

A mystery why a guy who brought so much joy to people could not keep joy in his heart.

RIP Robin Williams. You will be missed.:cry: