Robin Williams commits suicide

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I will never fully understand suicide.

I don't think anyone ever will, unless they've been that low.

Mental illness and depression are not a joke.

Boy....I wish that every person that suffers from depression would realize how many people loved them. My mom's brother was depressed and committed suicide almost 40 years ago. She's never gotten over it. Never be afraid to get help or to help someone you care about get help.

And these...yeah, I had a cousin commit suicide. And when someone tells you they're depressed, think of Robin before you say "what do you have to be depressed about?" It's not logical, and you can't just look at someone who 'seems to have it all' and think they could never be depressed.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Wow!! Depression is a cruel thing. I found my Dad after he committed suicide back in '84. Something I have had to live with for the last 30 years. Sometimes I think I will wake up thinking it was dream. I still think about it to this day. Godspeed Robin.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
So sad. He brought so much happiness and laughter to others, if only he could have found his own.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
He was so very talented, and so very conflicted. He self-treated that depression with coke for a long time. He was just in rehab recently to just sort of get a refresher on his sobriety, but I can only imagine the place he must have been in to do this. So very sad, and so unnecessary. Suicide is never the answer. :(

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't think anyone ever will, unless they've been that low.

And these...yeah, I had a cousin commit suicide. And when someone tells you they're depressed, think of Robin before you say "what do you have to be depressed about?" It's not logical, and you can't just look at someone who 'seems to have it all' and think they could never be depressed.

Yeah, I get irrationally frustrated with people when they talk about how suicide is selfish and ask how someone could do that. But you can't make sense of it and it isn't logical. And the person who commits suicide is never trying to hurt anyone. I think they honestly feel that they are doing the right thing.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Yeah, I get irrationally frustrated with people when they talk about how suicide is selfish and ask how someone could do that. But you can't make sense of it and it isn't logical. And the person who commits suicide is never trying to hurt anyone. I think they honestly feel that they are doing the right thing.

I don't think it's too irrational to get frustrated with people when they say that. RIP Robin

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have a co-worker that found her son dead via suicide in her house. I can't think of a worse thing to do to a parent. If you want kill yourself, write a note and go somewhere and do it where your loving parent isn't going to find you.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I saw a quote, "Robin Williams was like an uncle you did not see very often, but when you did he always made you smile."

So sad, its like I lost a friend today.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

In my opinion, everyone is being selfish in that scenario. The people who commit suicide aren't thinking about how it will affect their loved ones, and other people are thinking of how a suicide will affect THEM instead of worrying about what their friend/spouse/etc. is going through.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I have a co-worker that found her son dead via suicide in her house. I can't think of a worse thing to do to a parent. If you want kill yourself, write a note and go somewhere and do it where your loving parent isn't going to find you.

The same goes for parents. The absolute worst thing that can happen in these situations, IMO, is for a kid to find a parent dead. That's the kind of thing that can screw them up for life.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Really hits home with me as I deal with this issue currently. On medication to treat my symptoms. Some days are better than others, and I hope this is that a path I ever choose.

Reactions: ThurgoodMarshal

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Whenever I hear about a celebrity death, I try not to let it affect me too much, since I never personally knew them, but hearing Robin Williams is gone truly saddens me.

From Hook to Mrs. Doubtfire to Aladdin to Good Will Hunting to Patch Adams to Jumanji and anything I haven't seen yet, it's like I grew up watching Robin Williams.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
In my opinion, everyone is being selfish in that scenario. The people who commit suicide aren't thinking about how it will affect their loved ones, and other people are thinking of how a suicide will affect THEM instead of worrying about what their friend/spouse/etc. is going through.

I promise you that most, if not all, depressed people that resort to suicide aren't healthy enough to realize what they are doing isn't helping or making the world a better place. Depression is a real illness and is a chemical problem with the brain. It's not a bad mood or something you can snap out of.

Most of the time, people that are depressed and their loved ones are trying to get better. Sometimes it doesn't work and that is incredibly tragic.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
This one cuts me deep, folks. God damn it...

[video=youtube;VGaMOAoTA1E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGaMOAoTA1E[/video]

:cry:
Even in comedy movies, that comedian could play some damn good serious roles.