Rick Barnes is History

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
If Texas wants Marshall or Smart (good assumptions), they'll make damn sure the first choice is unlikely to turn it down. I think Marshall is less likely to turn it down, between those two, if relative $ were similar.

If UT thought it wasn't a sure-thing, and wanted to go off-******, I'm not sure of the path they'd explore.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I think it will be Marshall. He can go for the $$$ while still being a good egg for "leaving the cupboard full" for his replacement.

Smart seems like a good human being, and Texas actually likes coaches that care about their players. However, he seems like an East coast guy.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think it will be Marshall. He can go for the $$$ while still being a good egg for "leaving the cupboard full" for his replacement.

Smart seems like a good human being, and Texas actually likes coaches that care about their players. However, he seems like an East coast guy.

I think it will be Marshall too, and I for one think it will be awesome. I ******* hate that guy with an emboldened passion. Texas, as an institution, should be hated, but with Barnes there, I've never had that feeling. Marshall would be good for the conference because he is so easy to hate. A slow wretch is brewing just thinking about the prospect, and I would welcome it.

HoibergIsMyHero

Mar 15, 2014
I think it will be Marshall too, and I for one think it will be awesome. I ******* hate that guy with an emboldened passion. Texas, as an institution, should be hated, but with Barnes there, I've never had that feeling. Marshall would be good for the conference because he is so easy to hate. A slow wretch is brewing just thinking about the prospect, and I would welcome it.

Why?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Scary to think of a big name coach starting to haul in this talent..

@jeffborzello: Since 2009, there have been 19 top-25 recruits from the state of Texas. The Longhorns landed just two of them (Cam Ridley, Myles Turner).

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Jeff Goodman says:

Texas fired head coach Rick Barnes on Saturday, ending days of speculation surrounding his future. This immediately becomes the top job on the market, but what type of candidate will the Longhorns target?

Departed: Barnes. After 17 years and a 402-180 (.691) record in Austin, Texas, Barnes was given an ultimatum about staff changes following an up-and-down season and balked. Barnes' seat was red-hot going into 2013-14, and he saved himself with a 24-11 season and the recruitment of top prospect Myles Turner. But the Longhorns underachieved this season, making the tournament as a No. 11 seed and losing to Butler in the round of 64.
Program situation: The perception is that this program is a sleeping giant. Football will always be king in Austin, but there are resources in place to make the Longhorns a perennial top-10 hoops program. Barnes made the tournament 16 times in 17 years, but reached the Final Four only once (2003). In the near future, Turner may jump to the NBA, but talented players like guard Isaiah Taylor and big man Cameron Ridley should be back.

Realistic candidates

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State: Like Alabama, Texas has deep enough pockets to make it very difficult for Marshall to stay at Wichita. Unlike Alabama, Texas has tradition and a track record to suggest Marshall could win consistently, and at a high level, in Austin. The 52-year-old Marshall is 204-76 (.729) in eight seasons with the Shockers, and has lost just 21 games over the past four years.
Shaka Smart, VCU: Smart's situation is very similar to Marshall's, except that he's 37 years old and this is probably not a now-or-never scenario for him. Smart is 163-56 (.744) in six seasons with the Rams, and has never won fewer than 26 games in a season.
Archie Miller, Dayton: The 36-year-old Miller has won five NCAA tournament games at Dayton over the past two years, and has the bloodlines to suggest he's on his way to being an elite-level coach.
Avery Johnson: Johnson spent seven seasons on an NBA bench, taking the 2005-06 Mavericks all the way to the NBA Finals. The 50-year-old Johnson has no college coaching experience, however.
Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech: Williams spent six years at Marquette before agreeing to rebuild the Virginia Tech program last year. The Hokies went 11-22 last season. Williams probably didn't plan on bailing out of Blacksburg, Virginia, after one year, but if a better opportunity presents itself, who knows.

Long-shot candidate

Billy Donovan, Florida: His name's been floated as a possibility, and Texas would likely be very interested given his four Final Fours and two titles, but it's unclear why Donovan would leave one football-first school for another.

My choice

Miller. Terrific coach. Just look at what he did this season with a mediocre roster. He had no one with size this season after dismissing Dayton's only two big men, and won two NCAA games. He took the Flyers to the Elite Eight a year ago. To me, Archie is a star.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Lets hope Texas ****s up the hiring process. Just remember there have been a lot of hires that have seemed like great hires at the time but turn out to be bad hires.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Realistic candidates

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State: Like Alabama, Texas has deep enough pockets to make it very difficult for Marshall to stay at Wichita. Unlike Alabama, Texas has tradition and a track record to suggest Marshall could win consistently, and at a high level, in Austin. The 52-year-old Marshall is 204-76 (.729) in eight seasons with the Shockers, and has lost just 21 games over the past four years.
Shaka Smart, VCU: Smart's situation is very similar to Marshall's, except that he's 37 years old and this is probably not a now-or-never scenario for him. Smart is 163-56 (.744) in six seasons with the Rams, and has never won fewer than 26 games in a season.
Archie Miller, Dayton: The 36-year-old Miller has won five NCAA tournament games at Dayton over the past two years, and has the bloodlines to suggest he's on his way to being an elite-level coach.

That's the top three that make the most sense.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron