Rick Barnes is History

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Damn, probably bad news for rest of conference.

I could easily see Texas joining the ranks of TCU and Texas Tech. Basketball just isn't supported that well down here.

Rick Barnes had as much success in his time in Austin as Texas had seen in the combined years before him.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
ESPN: "You could argue nobody does less with more than Rick Barnes".

Now, that might be true, but OUCH! I've exchanged brief words with the guy and thought he was a really good dude. Everything you read about him seems to back that up as well. X's and O's were sketchy, and they weren't as successful as they probably should have been, but the guy went to the NCAA tournament 16 out of 17 years. Pretty rough first thing to say when "breaking the news".

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
ESPN: "You could argue nobody does less with more than Rick Barnes".

Now, that might be true, but OUCH! I've exchanged brief words with the guy and thought he was a really good dude. Everything you read about him seems to back that up as well. X's and O's were sketchy, and they weren't as successful as they probably should have been, but the guy went to the NCAA tournament 16 out of 17 years. Pretty rough first thing to say when "breaking the news".

It's a stretch of basketball that is unprecedented in Texas hoops. I understand the issues of complacency and needing new blood, new energy. But the arrogance of Texas fans has them expecting elite eight appearances every year. Their new hire will undoubtedly fail.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Will Barnes go to Tennessee since that job is open?

He could, but I can also see Barnes go to a mid-major school were expectations aren't as high and where he doesn't have Top 100 recruits to work with that lead to those high expectations.

I do think he was a better coach back when he first started than he showed his last few seasons in Austin, but I can see an under the radar kind of program making a big play for him, and possibly being successful in doing so.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Rick doesn't need a coaching job. My guess is this is it for him by choice. Enjoy the years you have and the money you have made.

I could see him being more of an analyst for ESPN over coaching again.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
He could, but I can also see Barnes go to a mid-major school were expectations aren't as high and where he doesn't have Top 100 recruits to work with that lead to those high expectations.

I do think he was a better coach back when he first started than he showed his last few seasons in Austin, but I can see an under the radar kind of program making a big play for him, and possibly being successful in doing so.

I could see him going back to George Mason, A 10 is good but not so good it's over whelming and they do have that final 4

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Smart and Marshall are the obvious names, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got a guy like Mark Few or Jay Wright

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I have a hard time believing that Shaka is interested in Texas. But we'll see.

All of these coaches are "interested" when their agent calls up their current AD to talk about getting a raise.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Smart and Marshall are the obvious names, but I wouldn't be surprised if they got a guy like Mark Few or Jay Wright

If Jay Wright goes to Texas, I think McCaffery would be interested in Villanova. Don't think they'd take him though.