Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Rodriguez is a Michigan Man!
461739.jpg

Rich Rodriguez
By Sam Webb
Managing Editor
Posted Dec 16, 2007

Multiple Sources in West Virginia and the University of Michigan have informed GoBlueWolverine that Rich Rodriguez will be Michigan's next head coach.

Scout.com: Rodriguez is a Michigan Man!

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
ESPN also reporting this.

I thought he had sworn his allegiance to West "by God" Virginia last year when Alabama was after him.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Darn - I was really hoping for at least one more round of KF rumors.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
If the Ravens fire their coach after this season, there will be plenty of rumors to go around.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
After dragging this thing through the mud for a while, I think Michigan landed a good coach for their program. He should breathe some new life into the program.

uro cy

Oct 28, 2006
Reminds me a bit of the Cooper hire at OSU years ago...he was brought in beat michigan...didnt work out too well.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
RR was a good coach at WVU, but that offense really really really relied on Slaton and White.

It will be interesting to see how well he can incorporate any of that spread O at Michigan.

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
RR was a good coach at WVU, but that offense really really really relied on Slaton and White.

It will be interesting to see how well he can incorporate any of that spread O at Michigan.

if he can get players into that program that have that kind of speed and can run that read option like white and slaton, i think michigan will dominate the big ten. i just don't see that conference suited to matchup against that kind of an offense

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Exactly look at just some of the success Indiana/Illinois had last year.

It might take some time for him to get his STYLE recruit in to Michigan. Hopefully the fanbase is patient:)

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
I love how Rich told his players that "others have contacted me but this one I had to listen."

So I guess when he talked with Bama, got offered him the job, and he basically accepted it that he didn't "listen" to that offer huh. Some of these coaches are compulsive liars. I'll be interested to see how Chizik handles these things in a couple years when the offers begin pooring in. Maybe I'm naive but he seems to have more class than some of these guys.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
I love how Rich told his players that "others have contacted me but this one I had to listen."

So I guess when he talked with Bama, got offered him the job, and he basically accepted it that he didn't "listen" to that offer huh. Some of these coaches are compulsive liars. I'll be interested to see how Chizik handles these things in a couple years when the offers begin pooring in. Maybe I'm naive but he seems to have more class than some of these guys.

Really curious at how you think the situation should be handled with coaches. They don't have the luxury that we do of keeping things on the DL when we are searching to improve our career. In coaching searches you have so many media outlets trying to uncover every little detail and expose it. When a coach comes out and uses the silent treatment, fans get on him. When a coach tells the truth, fans get on him.

If Chizik is in the situation in the future, what do you want him to do? Hey team, I'm searching for another job. Don't worry though, if it doesn't pan out I am really committed to staying here?

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Really curious at how you think the situation should be handled with coaches. They don't have the luxury that we do of keeping things on the DL when we are searching to improve our career. In coaching searches you have so many media outlets trying to uncover every little detail and expose it. When a coach comes out and uses the silent treatment, fans get on him. When a coach tells the truth, fans get on him.

If Chizik is in the situation in the future, what do you want him to do? Hey team, I'm searching for another job. Don't worry though, if it doesn't pan out I am really committed to staying here?

I realize the coaches have to be careful during this process but why do they have to tell bold faced lies like Rich did do his team today? That's all I'm saying. Or Bobby Petrino telling Auther Blank the day before he took the Arky job that he was content being the coach at Atlanta. I would respect a coach a lot more if he said "yeah, (insert school) contacted me and I listened to them." Instead of all these guys back peddling and lying to everyone. I don't think that's too much to ask. I doubt our fan base would be upset with Chizik if a better school contacts him and he were to say that. Something tells me if he decided to turn it down and continue being our coach he would be welcomed back with open arms.

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago
I agree with your theory. But what happens when they are completely open with their boss? If Petrino told Blank he was listening to other job offers, who's to say Blank doesn't can him after the season?

j_crow

Oct 24, 2007
Ames, IA
Yeah...I don't think there are many ways to switch head coaching positions without kind of looking like a bad guy to at least your former fan-base. Some coaches handle it better than others. If Chizik is dedicated to Cyclone football while he is here (which he definitely appears to be), and opportunities come calling at some point down the road, I personally wouldn't fault him for leaving unless he handled it poorly (i.e. see Bobby Petrino's coaching career). It's just the nature of the business...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron