Rhoads' comments on the dismissal of David Irving

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
It's the only thing Rhoads could do. No sense crying about it.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
It's the only thing Rhoads could do. No sense crying about it.

It was indeed the only thing Paul could have done since the administration will be expelling Irving and several other students who played active roles in the riot.

Irving should carry in his wallet that picture of him grinning while carrying the stop sign as a reminder that there are consequences to every choice he makes in life. With his natural gifts and NFL potential, his last choice could end up being incredibly expensive. I wish him the best.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Irving could be kicked out of school and be in prison for 5 years so anyone questioning Rhoads needs to understand you can't play college football behind bars.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Pierson and Trent have talent, both were highly recruited

Im really curious to see which D-ends get moved inside. Pierson committed to us fully expecting to be a DE. Seems likely he will get moved inside though. Not sure if he will appreciate that. Guess he wont have much choice!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Let's not act like dishonor was racking up the victories

No kidding. We won 3 games last year with a healthy Rodney Coe and David Irving. These guys weren't all that good. They had tons of potential, yes, but likely were never going to live up to it because neither guy wanted it bad enough obviously.

If you can't show up to practice, and you're willing to risk your scholarship by going into the middle of a riot and hold up a street sign right in front of the police and about 500 students taking pictures and video... then you're not going to ever see success on a football field either IMO. You just don't have what it takes IMO.

Let these hungrier young guys show what they can do when given an opportunity. And if it's not good enough, then so be it. Baylor put up 70 on us last year, and UNI ran all over us... WITH Irving and Coe in there. Not a big loss at all IMO.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm intrigued by this Trent Taylor kid coming in. He was a very highly recruited kid out of HS that went to Tennessee. I would think he could be as good or better than Coe or Irving probably.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Good job Rhoads! Well said.

Yes, it hurts this defense really bad, but that's David's fault not Rhoads'. David didn't give Paul any other choice. It's too bad, but Rhoads has to demand that his players show better character.

Glad he had the guts to kick both Coe and Irving off the team. It wouldn't have happened over in IC, I can guarantee you that. It would have been handled "internally" and they both would still be on the team.

How is it Irving's fault that Rhoads has recruited projects for every member of the defense? How is it Irving's fault that like 5% of those projects have paid off? The defense sucks because of Rhoads.

i understand you're trying to defend Rhoads, but really every season we've had is his fault. The good and the bad.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Wake me up when 'honor' wins football games.

Dude is partially responsible for cancelling the University's biggest event, and you want him to wear the University's football jersey next season? I guess CPR was going to catch flack no matter what he did, but the flack he would of caught if he let Irving stay on the team is much, MUCH, greater.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
How is it Irving's fault that Rhoads has recruited projects for every member of the defense? How is it Irving's fault that like 5% of those projects have paid off? The defense sucks because of Rhoads.

i understand you're trying to defend Rhoads, but really every season we've had is his fault. The good and the bad.

I agree for the most part with you. Rhoads is responsible for either.....

1. Not recruiting talented enough players

OR

2. Not developing talented players

OR

3. Not being able to keep players on the team for 4 years before quitting or getting kicked off.

However... the discussion was about David Irving getting kicked off the team. That is not Paul Rhoads' fault. Rhoads cannot babysit nearly 100 football players every single night. It's called personal responsibility, and most of our players have it, but some do not, and they pay the price for their stupidity.

Irving might have been able to make the NFL someday and make millions. Now he will likely struggle through life just to get by. Especially with an arrest record like his. He's not very employable. But you make your own bed. He's had chances, but he's squandered them away unfortunately.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I agree for the most part with you. Rhoads is responsible for either.....

1. Not recruiting talented enough players

OR

2. Not developing talented players

OR

3. Not being able to keep players on the team for 4 years before quitting or getting kicked off.

However... the discussion was about David Irving getting kicked off the team. That is not Paul Rhoads' fault. Rhoads cannot babysit nearly 100 football players every single night. It's called personal responsibility, and most of our players have it, but some do not, and they pay the price for their stupidity.

Irving might have been able to make the NFL someday and make millions. Now he will likely struggle through life just to get by. Especially with an arrest record like his. He's not very employable. But you make your own bed. He's had chances, but he's squandered them away unfortunately.

Actually you said that the defense sucks because of Irving, so....

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Actually you said that the defense sucks because of Irving, so....

The defense did suck last year with both Irving and Coe in there. Yes. I said that.

I said Irving had the potential, meaning when he set foot on the ISU campus he had unlimited potential to become whatever he wanted to with hard work and discipline. He squandered that opportunity and that potential. It's too bad.

I've never been that impressed with Irving since he's been here. At DE, he was below average. After moving inside, he showed some potential when he wanted to, but it wasn't very often.

He was overhyped on these boards ever since he got here. There was talk of him leaving ISU early someday to go pro all over this site. I'm on record all over the place on here telling people at the time that it doesn't do a kid any good to put those kinds of expectations on him. He had showed nothing, but yet people on here thought he was the next Jadaveon Clowney or something. It was ridiculous.

David "could" have been special with hard work and discipline. I don't think he had much of either from what I can tell. At least by his actions.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Wake me up when "victory" makes bad kids people to be admired and proud of.

Yeah, don't care. I'm not going to anonymously lie and act like anything outside of the results on Saturday afternoons really matters to me when it comes down to it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Im really curious to see which D-ends get moved inside. Pierson committed to us fully expecting to be a DE. Seems likely he will get moved inside though. Not sure if he will appreciate that. Guess he wont have much choice!

Ayeni is almost a certainty. I think Taylor is tabbed there as well.