Rhoads' comments on the dismissal of David Irving

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

If the Ames PD really has video of him pulling the sign out of the ground and tipping the light poll, I'd say it is more than acceptable he be kicked off the team. He's also facing up to five years in prison. I'd say at this point not being on the football team should be the least of his worries.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
just plain stupid, stupid, stupid. Can not imagine how incredibly stupid the whole riot thing was, but for Irving being in the middle of this, well I guess he didn't really want to play football after all.

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
You're wrong, Drysdale. Be kind.

If Irving, or Coe, or any player for that matter are not smart enough to realize when they have been given a second chance, and they are not smart enough to understand the type of behavior that will get them into trouble, then they are the ones letting themselves, the coaches, the team and the fans down. They don't deserve to be allowed to keep their scholarship and represent ISU if they can't do what the coaches tell them to do.

I'm really surprised so many on here seem to have difficulty understanding that. Fred takes some chances with some players on the MBB team, but it is a smaller group of players and they can be monitored a little more closely, plus you are dealing with different personalities on the MBB coaching staff than on the Football coaching staff. So far it has worked well for Fred. Rhoads, unfortunately, has not had as good of luck with some troubled players, or maybe it is just the nature of football versus other sports. Still....when players get out of line like this and blow their second or third chances, you have to end the relationship because they are not getting it. So, you have to make an example of them or risk losing even more of your team. Yeah, it hurts the team, but it is not Rhoads fault, unless there was something more that he could have done to prevent it, which I don't believe there was.

Bottom line.....Irving was not thinking about his coaches, teammates, or the fans when he was out there acting like an idiot helping tear down a light post and holding a stop sign. That was just dumb on his part. Really, really dumb.

Section136

Jul 5, 2010
Glad he had the guts to kick both Coe and Irving off the team. It wouldn't have happened over in IC, I can guarantee you that. It would have been handled "internally" and they both would still be on the team.

This is really funny considering the staff in Iowa City stopped recruiting Coe when he was at IWCC because of chraracter concerns.

Iowa doesn't offer because of character and ISU gets burned by Coe after signing him and you claim ISU occupies teh moral high ground?

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
If the Ames PD really has video of him pulling the sign out of the ground and tipping the light poll, I'd say it is more than acceptable he be kicked off the team. He's also facing up to five years in prison. I'd say at this point not being on the football team should be the least of his worries.

Dude, the KCCI video shows him tearing down the freakin' light pole and parading around with the stop sign.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
This is an outrage. Being a kid, having fun, and getting your picture taken is not a reasonable ground for dismissal.
Ah yes, boy's will be boy's....men will be men....convicts will be convicts. Maybe a little more disciple at boy time will result in fewer convicts.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
And this is the difference between a fan of Iowa State football and a fan of Iowa State University.
I'm glad you brought this up. It's been a while since I've been to one of Professor Hagge's lectures or research festivals. I need to make a trip back to Ames and cheer him on sometime this week.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm glad you brought this up. It's been a while since I've been to one of Professor Hagge's lectures or research festivals. I need to make a trip back to Ames and cheer him on sometime this week.

Well, we could get started about what VEISHEA is all about, but I've spent much of this week being told it's "all about the drinking"...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We all know why Irving is gone. Why is Coe gone?

Broke too many minor team rules like showing up for meetings on time and failure to heed previous warnings. Nothing related to stop signs and/or alcohol.

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

There's a difference between cheering on your team and wanting them to be good ambassadors of your school and wanting your team to win at all costs.

Sorry, but I was embarrassed when people in Indiana would ask me about the riots that happened. I'm embarrassed when one of our representatives makes poor decisions making my school look bad. Yes, I'm proud when our football team wins. I'm also proud when our volleyball or softball team do well. I'm also proud when our professors make prestigious accomplishment or when our schools make groundbreaking achievements. I'm sorry, but my love for Iowa State doesn't stop at Jack Trice Stadium, so I prefer we show dignity and honor in what we do.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If Irving, or Coe, or any player for that matter are not smart enough to realize when they have been given a second chance, and they are not smart enough to understand the type of behavior that will get them into trouble, then they are the ones letting themselves, the coaches, the team and the fans down. They don't deserve to be allowed to keep their scholarship and represent ISU if they can't do what the coaches tell them to do.

I'm really surprised so many on here seem to have difficulty understanding that. Fred takes some chances with some players on the MBB team, but it is a smaller group of players and they can be monitored a little more closely, plus you are dealing with different personalities on the MBB coaching staff than on the Football coaching staff. So far it has worked well for Fred. Rhoads, unfortunately, has not had as good of luck with some troubled players, or maybe it is just the nature of football versus other sports. Still....when players get out of line like this and blow their second or third chances, you have to end the relationship because they are not getting it. So, you have to make an example of them or risk losing even more of your team. Yeah, it hurts the team, but it is not Rhoads fault, unless there was something more that he could have done to prevent it, which I don't believe there was.

Bottom line.....Irving was not thinking about his coaches, teammates, or the fans when he was out there acting like an idiot helping tear down a light post and holding a stop sign. That was just dumb on his part. Really, really dumb.

Agree. Sounds like he had exhausted his chances and Rhoads decided enough was enough. Pretty obvious he was never the type of guy to be ALL IN. Irving had imposing size and when he wanted he could be good. Seemed like he just didn't make the effort to be the best he could be......on the field or off the field. Like his size made him privileged and he made just enough effort as was necessary. Nothing extra. And then add in the stupidity of this past week. Enough is enough.