Restaurant Changes in DSM

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Never even made it over to Prime Land and Sea. Baruthio's restaurants range from good to excellent (Blue Tomato was a total misfire), but they aren't marketed very well. Saison Kitchen and Pub in Windsor Heights is a well kept secret. But if they don't start getting more traffic there then I won't be surprised to see it on the 2018 list of closures.

As for Prime Land & Sea, Baruhthio had two different spots lined up initially in historical buildings downtown that he intended to go into but then for reasons only known to him, he settled on 8th St in W DSM....aka....the hot restaurant street....circa 1992. It is kinda funny as I made a comment on Facebook (on a DM Foodie's page) shortly after the restaurant closing about the questionable location choice and my comment was liked by one person -- Baruththio.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That whole company has made some odd decisions.

Taking the busiest patio spot in the city and rebranding it (Saints on 50th to taco hangover)
Opening up mavericks near jordan creek, switching it into a saints (which likely caused confusion with 2 Saints a couple miles from each other in WDM). Eventually when that failed, switching into a short lived bbq place for a bit.

Saints seemed like it had a good thing going for awhile there, but now theyre down to beaverdale and waukee.

I'm sure there are numbers reasons they did so, but from the outside its a good amount of turnover.

I live really close to the WDM Taco Hangover/Saints. For the last year that it was Saints their business had really died off and I have no clue why. The patio was still busy in the summer but that isn't going to pay the bills.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The best loose meat sandwich in the state is at the Miles Inn in Sioux City.
zabel-10.jpeg

That’s funny but the correct answer is Bobs in LeMars.

Brentwood

Jun 25, 2008
Altoona
My wife and I live in Altoona and used to frequent Jethro's. Maybe its just the Altoona location, but it is apparent with the number of locations they have tried to streamline things. I understand why they are doing it so that all of the locations are the same, but it has really put a hit on the quality in my opinion. The last couple of times I have been the the food has been sub par compared to what made Jethro's good in the past.

#MakeJethrosGreatAgain

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I went to Zombie burger in Ankeny. What a farce. It's so far from the Original concept downtown it was a joke. They put like one bad zombie thing by where you order. Then a few pictures of zombies on the wall. I mean they don't have good enough food for me to justify the price without the experience of the coolness of the East Village location.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I went to Zombie burger in Ankeny. What a farce. It's so far from the Original concept downtown it was a joke. They put like one bad zombie thing by where you order. Then a few pictures of zombies on the wall. I mean they don't have good enough food for me to justify the price without the experience of the coolness of the East Village location.
I would argue that even the original location is less about quality food and more about the Zombie theme. It's one of those places that seems totally about style over substance. And that's fine. The food is just average.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I heard this week from one of the people re-opening the Tea Room downtown. Maybe I will talk to him about doing a game-watch there!

• Agree
Reactions: Sparkplug

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I would argue that even the original location is less about quality food and more about the Zombie theme. It's one of those places that seems totally about style over substance. And that's fine. The food is just average.

What's gonna happen to that place once the zombie fad is over? I mean, once The Walking Dead is done you're gonna be stuck with this weird zombie place?

Reactions: Angie

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

The only people I know that still go to Zombie Burger are my friends from out of town that want to give the place a try because they've heard so much about it. Although every time I drive by the place it seems to be packed.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Can you talk to him about bringing back Breakfast With Santa while you’re at it?

It is a daughter and her father that are now operating the Tea Room. Maybe Rob Gray could dress up in the Santa suit!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Not sure if there was a thread on this, but sad to hear some of this news.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...des-moines-restaurants-closed-2017/967258001/

I will miss Guru, I was always a fan. And the news of Django changing is sad to hear, although I buy into the ploy that it's about money.

Django closing makes me super-sad. The duck frites are just about my favorite food in all of Des Moines. They might be THE favorite, I'm having trouble thinking of anything better right now. I really hope they find another location.

Agreed... except the fruity pebbles malt. That **** is legit.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
anyone ever go to Bubba in DSM? Is it good, bad, average?

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I went once for a work dinner - had the spicy meatloaf. I would go back.

What side did you get? The pimento mac and cheese intrigues me. But so does the fried chicken.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron