Restaurant Changes in DSM

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Shows how often I got to Court Ave now, but I had no idea Legends closed.

Anyone know what's going in there? Just another club like the rest of that building?

• Agree
Reactions: ianoconnor

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Never even made it over to Prime Land and Sea. Baruthio's restaurants range from good to excellent (Blue Tomato was a total misfire), but they aren't marketed very well. Saison Kitchen and Pub in Windsor Heights is a well kept secret. But if they don't start getting more traffic there then I won't be surprised to see it on the 2018 list of closures.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Other than the larger chain restaurants, I haven't heard of any of these. Might be the reason they are closed.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Django's executive chef moved to Cedar Falls and is opening a BBQ joint.

Went to high school with him, can't believe he's been able to have any kind of success in his life. Good for him. Good guy just never ever had any focus.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I notice a familiar trend with this list. They have a successful restaurant and then they think they can add more. Jethros seems to be successful with about everything they do but the pizza thing was a reach and I think they've hit their max in the metro. I'm guessing Bacon,Bacon, Bacon is the next one out the door. I'm also going to say that Planet Sub in Johnston will not make 2018. Sounds like Pita Pit was more of a location issue.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
I ate at Django last weekend and forgot how great their food is. I hope they are quick to re-open.
Supposedly they are shopping for locations in the East Village. But I have also heard that the negotiation between them and Hotel Fort Des Moines aren't completely dead yet either.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Supposedly they are shopping for locations in the East Village. But I have also heard that the negotiation between them and Hotel Fort Des Moines aren't completely dead yet either.

To me this seems like one of those rare restaurants that would do better in the downtown than east village. I have to think they have a good business lunch crowd.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I ate at Django last weekend and forgot how great their food is. I hope they are quick to re-open.

Sad to see Django go, and I hope they resurface somewhere else. I always liked their no-corkage fee policy. Made for a very affordable nice dinner without the booze markup.

Reactions: octaviouspoon

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I notice a familiar trend with this list. They have a successful restaurant and then they think they can add more. Jethros seems to be successful with about everything they do but the pizza thing was a reach and I think they've hit their max in the metro. I'm guessing Bacon,Bacon, Bacon is the next one out the door. I'm also going to say that Planet Sub in Johnston will not make 2018. Sounds like Pita Pit was more of a location issue.

I think you're right on with the bacon theme location. I can't imagine it goes another year; too gimmicky.

The issue with Jethros has always been maintaining quality at the established spots when they open up a new one. They suck at it. I still occasionally go to the original Drake location just because it's kind of a tradition/habit for me and my friends, but I won't lie - that place is ******* gross and I'm amazed I've never gotten food poisoning there.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Most of these places that closed tend to be non family owned with these hip new names. I'm a sucker for places that are family owned and have some old school feel to them. Barrattas, Tumeas, Noahs, Jesse's Ember. It just seems like they care about the food and service more.