Rest of the Year

Dingus

May 23, 2013
A still-shot that exemplifies how it’s the little, but basic things that need to get corrected. I’m sure it’s been tough without being able to play 5 on 5 in practice.

Oh my, thats a horrific picture. What is Beverly doing? Can’t exactly tell what’s going on, but hard to fault Lard when he seems to be guarding both Bamba under the hoop and the big white guy at the 3 pt line.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Oh my, thats a horrific picture. What is Beverly doing? Can’t exactly tell what’s going on, but hard to fault Lard when he seems to be guarding both Bamba under the hoop and the big white guy at the 3 pt line.
Hate to break it to you all, but Travis has it right. Lard got suckered in.

Reactions: heitclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was worried about how this season might turn out before the year started, but the team is a bit better than I even expected.

The bad part is, the Big 12 is absolutely loaded. A pretty bad year to not have a great team.

This. I actually like what I am seeing from some. Wigginton is better than expected. Lard looks to be having a sudden breakthrough. Solomon has been quietly steady. But, like you said, the Big 12 is freaking loaded this year. This league this year can make a rebuilding team that is actually pretty okay look pretty bad. If we were playing the unbalanced Big 10 schedule with numbers that give you same easier games I might be thinking .500 but that ain't our league.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think at this point in the season we need to just focus on the next game (OSU) rather than the full B12 season and the tourney possibilities. The first two big 12 games had some good and bad play by individual player with both ending in disappointment. This shouldn't be unexpected with so many player getting their first look at league play. Add in not having Brase and Talley has limiting the rotations that worked in the 9 game W streak too. Big adjustments for this team.

The first two games have reset a lot of fans expectations to be realistic on the post season possibilities which I think can remove some pressure and let the players just play and improve. I still haven't ruled any end of year result out but this team just needs to win 1 game before we can worry about 2 and Saturday (afer 5 days of practice) vs OSU is a prime opportunity to do so. Overall though I want to see growth as a team. I'll worry about March after game 8-9 when we see how they are sitting then.

Reactions: IP Guy and srjclone

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The next game at OSU may be there best chance for a win for awhile. I just want to see them get better. If they can at least get to the NIT I would consider that a success. Next year they should be back in the tournament when you consider adding Shayok and Jacobson and a year for the young guys to get better plus adding Horton-Tucker.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I have been avoiding this thread for good reason, I have very low expectation for the rest of the year, I know starting 0-2 has put the fan-base a bit on edge, but realistically too many people got too excited about potentially making the tournament with the non-conference success, we all just need to reel it back in, we can still have some success this year and probably, but with the current injuries we have we are only 7-7.5(J.Long not all there yet), we need front court depth (Hans) and more spark play from Long and Talley, until we get those 3 pieces back to full strength any conference win will be a steal, home or away.....

• Agree
Reactions: allfourcy

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
My quick gut-level snapshot/forecast using MRed
... ISU improves, but can't get over the hump. KSU fades in typical fashion. Frustratingly, KU wins another.

1. Kansas (15 - 3)
2. West Virginia (14 - 4)
Defeated Oklahoma based on record against #1 teams.
3. Oklahoma (14 - 4) Lost to West Virginia based on record against #1 teams.
4. TCU (10 - 8)
5. Texas Tech (8 - 10)
Defeated Texas based on record against #1 teams.
6. Texas (8 - 10) Lost to Texas Tech based on record against #1 teams.
7. Iowa State (6 - 12) Defeated Baylor based on record against #4 teams.
8. Baylor (6 - 12) Lost to Iowa State based on record against #4 teams.
9. Kansas State (5 - 13)
10. Oklahoma State (4 - 14)

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
players exceeding my expectations: babb, lard, wigginton, brase, long
players in line with my expectations: DJ, solo, lewis
players below my expectations: beverly
not enough data: talley

b12 is just loaded this year, still enjoy watching this team play and I think we can steal a few upsets.

very excited about the future with prohm.

Reactions: NWICY

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
My quick gut-level snapshot/forecast using MRed
... ISU improves, but can't get over the hump. KSU fades in typical fashion. Frustratingly, KU wins another.

1. Kansas (15 - 3)
2. West Virginia (14 - 4)
Defeated Oklahoma based on record against #1 teams.
3. Oklahoma (14 - 4) Lost to West Virginia based on record against #1 teams.
4. TCU (10 - 8)
5. Texas Tech (8 - 10)
Defeated Texas based on record against #1 teams.
6. Texas (8 - 10) Lost to Texas Tech based on record against #1 teams.
7. Iowa State (6 - 12) Defeated Baylor based on record against #4 teams.
8. Baylor (6 - 12) Lost to Iowa State based on record against #4 teams.
9. Kansas State (5 - 13)
10. Oklahoma State (4 - 14)
Did you watch the Tech and KU game at all???

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not sure what metrics you're using but Ku is not winning the conference. And TxT sure as hell isn't losing over half their games. My gosh.

No "metric" involved. Based on game-by-game, and make no mistake, there's a lot of uncertainty, I won't claim my projection will prove correct.

if KU can't do better than 50-50 vs. WVa and OU, things at the top change. Definitely a possibility.

You might be correct about TT, but it's early.

If I were guessing strictly on strength top-to-bottom, standings will distribute more equally, maybe as many as 5 teams from 10-8 to 8-10.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Did you watch the Tech and KU game at all???

Yes, I did. KU got OWNED, especially in the paint/at the rim. KU has flaws, and is vulnerable. TT looks better than I might've thought (and I may have underestimated TCU's potential, and not many people expected Oklahoma to be this fierce).

I shouldn't have run the generator this early.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
More like Lard knew his teammates were about to give up a dunk to Bamba.

Beverly needs to be much better in that situation.

Yeah it wasn't one guy's fault but a combination. Beverly hedges way too hard (also known as a Woodbury). If you hedge that aggressively, you have to double. Lard helps knowing Bamba is now wide open. Lard probably didn't need to sag that far off, and if he's playing at full speed, he could at least make Osetkowski think twice about shooting. Instead, Beverly is too slow to recover, making Lard follow Mamba too far down the lane. Lard is caught off guard by the quick pass and can't contest. It's a two-man breakdown and a nice play from the Texas PG. Beverly isn't a Big 12 athlete and this is exactly what happens when you're outmanned.

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Yes, I did. KU got OWNED, especially in the paint/at the rim. KU has flaws, and is vulnerable. TT looks better than I might've thought (and I may have underestimated TCU's potential, and not many people expected Oklahoma to be this fierce).

I shouldn't have run the generator this early.
KU has lost 2 games at home already this year.... Definitely not the team they were expected to be preseason, I am sure they will put it together as they usually do, but I can't see them winning the conference.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah it wasn't one guy's fault but a combination. Beverly hedges way too hard (also known as a Woodbury). If you hedge that aggressively, you have to double. Lard helps knowing Bamba is now wide open. Lard probably didn't need to sag that far off, and if he's playing at full speed, he could at least make Osetkowski think twice about shooting. Instead, Beverly is too slow to recover, making Lard follow Mamba too far down the lane. Lard is caught off guard by the quick pass and can't contest. It's a two-man breakdown and a nice play from the Texas PG. Beverly isn't a Big 12 athlete and this is exactly what happens when you're outmanned.
All true. Babb was caught in no-man’s land, not close enough to cover Bamba (good luck in any event), but not high enough to improvise and take Osetkowski. DJ applying more on ball pressure would potentially help too in, albeit he’s small enough to throw over.

All little things that would have been mitigated if healthy. That’s where Talley’s athleticism and Brase’s experience helps, as would quality 5 on 5 practice reps, which we haven’t always had.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
My goodness, that's horrible. Someone tell me that's a fairly isolated occurrence.

We were better than that in most situations as I recall. The most common was coming off the screen hedging slight to stop the drive, but being caught flat footed with a couple feet of space for Bill Walton Jr to get the shot off without real pressure on him.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron