Rest of the Year

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I just checked Massey Ratings, and while I don't have access to KenPom I'm guessing it's the same there. Massey didn't have us favored in a game the rest of the season, and only two games that we have a greater than 40% chance to win.

I think this team does win some games obviously, I think the goal is 6. I know that will be a tough thing for a lot of fans on this board if it comes true. That said, my opinion is that Prohm is doing a really good job with this group. I think the future is very bright. I think the rotation next year will be very solid and the foundation is laid for a lot of great seasons to come. I think we have some good dudes on this team and they are doing everything they can to win. Let's not lose sight of that as this year progresses.

As many of you know I have been highly critical of Prohm in the past. I think that on a macro level the time for that has passed. The program is in really good hands.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
One thing that is clear to me from watching Coach Prohm the last couple years- he isn't willing to rush anything for short term satisfaction. I'm fully convinced that he would rather lose while teaching good habits. His first two teams improved down the stretch, and I expect this one will too. Who knows if it will be enough to accomplish this year's goals, but next year looks to be a return to our new normal expectations.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'll be darn surprised if we only win 2 more games, that being said I realize now I underestimated how much some other teams in the B12 improved. I think it's going to be a lot of fun watching B12 BB, just harder than hell to know who is going to win.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It will be interesting to see how the season progresses. Not a great year to be down on numbers and hit with injuries. Prohm is a great coach, but it is almost impossible to bring this many new players together and make them a well oiled machine. They will get better, it just won't be soon enough for the fans or the coach.

• Agree
Reactions: GoodyISU1

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We've been less aggressive defensively with the depleted roster. That translates to the offense woes we've seen. Additionally, the ball is sticking in everyone's hands a little too much right now. If they can settle into their roles and swing the ball around the court a little more, the offensive flow can return.

We aren't far away from where I thought we'd be from a record standpoint, but the home losses are not what I was expecting. Hopefully we can get healthy and turn things around now that the students will be back. We're gonna win some games that nobody anticipates, but I fear we're looking at some ugly beat-downs as well. I'll be watching them all.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
If we can get Brase and Talley back that will help. Our offense looks a lot smoother with Brase in there even though his stat line doesn't pop.

I see 4-5 wins. I know we're outgunned, but this team isn't totally helpless like you normally see in the 9th/10th place teams.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
One thing that is clear to me from watching Coach Prohm the last couple years- he isn't willing to rush anything for short term satisfaction. I'm fully convinced that he would rather lose while teaching good habits. His first two teams improved down the stretch, and I expect this one will too. Who knows if it will be enough to accomplish this year's goals, but next year looks to be a return to our new normal expectations.

I agree as I've posted similarly. Prohm's and Campbell's approaches are similar in that regard and their history of success certainly indicates it's the right approach.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
It's just been a perfect storm so far. An already young and somewhat limited roster, with injuries at key positions. Guys aren't getting the reps in practice they need, and we have too many weaknesses to expose with our lack of depth. About all you can do at this point is hope we can put on a little run with Talley and Brase back and get into the conversation for some sort of post season tournament, all while getting Lard, Wigginton, Lewis and Babb some more experience for next year.

Cyowan008

Feb 27, 2014
Ankeny, IA
6 is where I'm at right now as well. I just hope most fans realize this and don't start getting angry at Prohm and think he's no good. He has shown how well his teams improve over the course of a year and I think the same will happen.

I am also fully convinced Brase is the glue that keeps this team together. His experience and how he carries himself just keeps the younger/less experienced guys level-headed. He is an absolute need for this team even if his stats don't show in the box score.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We play better when Nick is making a point of stressing the defense early and is hunting his shot.

I noticed he passed up a handful of threes when guys would go under screens against Texas. I think those are shots he needs to take. Also, the lack of a stretch 4 is killing him. Things are getting way too congested when he drives because Beverley, Lard and Solo aren't major threats to shoot it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I noticed he passed up a handful of threes when guys would go under screens against Texas. I think those are shots he needs to take. Also, the lack of a stretch 4 is killing him. Things are getting way too congested when he drives because Beverley, Lard and Solo aren't major threats to shoot it.

Yeah, Brase is key in that facet of the game. It may be a good adjustment (when Brase is not on the floor) to just spread it out and let NWB operate without bringing up the screener (and 2nd defender). Spreading it out like that may help Wigginton break his guy down too.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the injury problem is hard to overstate. I can't remember a year where we've had more games lost to injury.

• Agree
Reactions: Chitowncy and NWICY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Nick isn't a great three point shooter. That's the problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
A couple areas where it would help Prohm to have a greater sense of urgency in his process:
1. Offense. It simply takes way too long for his teams to develop their offensive identity. This shouldn't be developing in January. This is time to refine things for conference play.

2. Giving too much rope to the guys to allow devastating losses like Milwaukee. It's OK as a leader to step in before that stuff happens. It would be interesting to see if that plays a role in his challenges recruiting grad transfers, since that's a market that isn't looking for a process. They move on looking for the tournament.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I used to like to look ahead at the schedule and find some wins, but no need to this year - every team is good, and some really, really, good.

for us to win, babb/wigg/DJ all have to play well. 7-10 pts per game from babb won't cut it, he's going to have to make some 3's and score 15-20.

brase/talley injuries are killers. we need both of those guys.

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
A couple areas where it would help Prohm to have a greater sense of urgency in his process:
1. Offense. It simply takes way too long for his teams to develop their offensive identity. This shouldn't be developing in January. This is time to refine things for conference play.

2. Giving too much rope to the guys to allow devastating losses like Milwaukee. It's OK as a leader to step in before that stuff happens. It would be interesting to see if that plays a role in his challenges recruiting grad transfers, since that's a market that isn't looking for a process. They move on looking for the tournament.

coaching is easy, right?

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I was worried about how this season might turn out before the year started, but the team is a bit better than I even expected.

The bad part is, the Big 12 is absolutely loaded. A pretty bad year to not have a great team.

• Agree
Reactions: JimmyChitwood