Rest of the Year

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yeah, it’s going to be interesting next year. In the NBA you are seeing lineups with wing 4s that can switch on anybody like Jayson Tatum. Hell, Houston plays PJ Tucker at the 5. We’ll have a lot of good rebounding and switchability at the guard spots between Babb, Shayok, and Wigginton, so I think going small at the 4 could be an option if Jacobsen and Young don’t develop like we hope.

If the frosh next year are as good as advertised, I'd love to see these guys on the floor together once....

1. NWB
2. Wiggi
3. THT
4. Zion Griffin
5. Lard

That would be a really small lineup, but boy could they run and score. Not sure about the defensive end? THT, Griffin, and Lard can all block shots though.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If the frosh next year are as good as advertised, I'd love to see these guys on the floor together once....

1. NWB
2. Wiggi
3. THT
4. Zion Griffin
5. Lard

That would be a really small lineup, but boy could they run and score. Not sure about the defensive end? THT, Griffin, and Lard can all block shots though.

Put in Shayok for Griffin/THT and I’m intrigued. You could almost switch every screen except for Lindell. And having Solomon Young and Jacobsen available as backup bigs would be a luxury. I love Solomon but so much of his game has been reduced because we need him on the floor. If he could just focus on crushing the boards rather than fouling he could be a monster .

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I see the talent in wigs and lard yes, and yes Shayok is an upgrade...Young, NWB, and Jacobsen are good depth players
You don’t see the talent in NWB?
Yes, he had 7 TOs and is showing ill effects of tendinitis, but NWB is arguably our best player this year. NWB would look better if he was able to play the role Wigginton is this year, while Wigginton would likely not look as good if playing pg.

Young is a Big 12 starter, but we don’t really utilize him well right now imo.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I think we go 3-15 in league. I see us swept by KU, OU, WV, TCU and tech. That leaves us 8 potentially winnable games. But we are 0-3 and have played three of our easiest winnable games already. Hopefully CSP can keep the guys playing hard and improving. We just don’t have the experience or in many cases the talent to compete in the B12 this year. Wish it was not the case, but afraid it is.

I Agree its all about Talent and we dont have nearly enough to compete in the big 12

• Agree
Reactions: allfourcy

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I think we'll still improve as the season goes on with Brase and Talley now back finally, but I agree that we aren't going 6-9 the rest of the season. More like 4-11 IMO.

But as I've said, with any hopes for NCAA completely gone now, just watch this team play and think about how good the pieces are that we'll have coming back next year, in addition to the new guys coming in, and I don't see how a smile can't come across your face.

As long as everyone returns, and all the new guys show up, we WILL be back in the NCAA Tournament next year.... mark it down. My uneducated LOADED lineup....

1. Babb, Wiggi, Halliburton
2. Wiggi, THT, Long
3. Shayok, Lewis, Zion Griffin
4. Lard, Talley
5. Young, Jacobson, Conditt
Loaded may be a bit strong. Half of those guys have not seen the floor in the B12. Never know how they'll play together or if there will be chemistry or strong leadership. Also, of the HS recruits, half will be good and half will disappoint. It's what happens when recruiting at the level we do (high 3/low 4). I am optimistic but a little more guarded than that. We will also lose our leading scorer and the primary guy that can create on this year's team.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Loaded may be a bit strong. Half of those guys have not seen the floor in the B12. Never know how they'll play together or if there will be chemistry or strong leadership. Also, of the HS recruits, half will be good and half will disappoint. It's what happens when recruiting at the level we do (high 3/low 4). I am optimistic but a little more guarded than that. We will also lose our leading scorer and the primary guy that can create on this year's team.

I agree there’s no guarantee that we’ll be back to the tourney next year. I think we’ll be improved because I think the sum of all the parts we return and add is greater than what we lose.

But this is a tough conference and we’re digging out of a big recruiting hole.

• Agree
Reactions: allfourcy

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
You don’t see the talent in NWB?
Yes, he had 7 TOs and is showing ill effects of tendinitis, but NWB is arguably our best player this year. NWB would look better if he was able to play the role Wigginton is this year, while Wigginton would likely not look as good if playing pg.

Young is a Big 12 starter, but we don’t really utilize him well right now imo.
Young is a Big 12 starter but he shouldn't be. He'd be the perfect first big off the bench for a team.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Young is a Big 12 starter but he shouldn't be. He'd be the perfect first big off the bench for a team.
Disagree. He’s tradional post on a small-ball team that’s not good at small ball, a team that doesn’t swing the ball or feed the post well. Every year there are worse forwards than Young starting.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I think we'll still improve as the season goes on with Brase and Talley now back finally, but I agree that we aren't going 6-9 the rest of the season. More like 4-11 IMO.

But as I've said, with any hopes for NCAA completely gone now, just watch this team play and think about how good the pieces are that we'll have coming back next year, in addition to the new guys coming in, and I don't see how a smile can't come across your face.

As long as everyone returns, and all the new guys show up, we WILL be back in the NCAA Tournament next year.... mark it down. My uneducated LOADED lineup....

1. Babb, Wiggi, Halliburton
2. Wiggi, THT, Long
3. Shayok, Lewis, Zion Griffin
4. Lard, Talley
5. Young, Jacobson, Conditt

Don't cofuse "loaded" with "crowded". That's a lot of parts and depth is great but you gotta have some experienced studs that can put up consistent numbers in the meat grinder that is the Big 12. I like Babb, he'll be very good next year. Wigginton will grow out of his AAU mentality hopefully by next year. Young is a poor man's Landen Lucas, reliable but unspectacular. I don't know anything about Shayok.

The player you guys have that I love is Lard. Kid has got a serious motor and some grit. He'll be fun to watch moving forward. I'm a big fan of his. He'll be an All Big 12 type player next year if he works his butt off this summer.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Disagree. He’s tradional post on a small-ball team that’s not good at small ball, a team that doesn’t swing the ball or feed the post well. Every year there are worse forwards than Young starting.
"Not the worst starter in the league" probably isn't your target.

• Agree
Reactions: ajk4st8

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
A 3 win ceiling seems low. I don’t think we’re that far away from being good.

If just one of Long or Lewis would step up and be consistently ok, we could could have a capable 8 man rotation with Talley, Brase, and Long/Lewis off the bench. I’m still a big believer that Talley when healthy will be a good B12 player for us. He can’t shoot worth **** but he does everything else.

Have to remember that you're talking to Dr Doom and Gloom.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
I love both Young and Lard, but I don't think we are as effective with both on the floor at once. My preferred minutes would be as follows:

PG: Babb 36, Wigginton 2, DJ 2
SG: DJ 28, Wigginton 12
SF: Wigginton 20, Long 10, Lewis 10
PF: Lard 16, Talley 12, Brase 12
C: Young 28, Lard 12

Reactions: MartinCy

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
Just used Mreds predictor.. came away with this...

Big 12 Standings

1. West Virginia (15 - 3)
2. Kansas (14 - 4) Defeated Oklahoma based on record against #6 teams.
3. Oklahoma (14 - 4) Lost to Kansas based on record against #6 teams.
4. Texas Tech (11 - 7)
5. TCU (9 - 9)
6. Texas (8 - 10)
7. Baylor (7 - 11)
8. Oklahoma State (5 - 13)
9. Iowa State (4 - 14)
10. Kansas State (3 - 15)

4-7 could really go anyway, IMO.

• Useful
Reactions: cyclones500

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I love both Young and Lard, but I don't think we are as effective with both on the floor at once. My preferred minutes would be as follows:

PG: Babb 36, Wigginton 2, DJ 2
SG: DJ 28, Wigginton 12
SF: Wigginton 20, Long 10, Lewis 10
PF: Lard 16, Talley 12, Brase 12
C: Young 28, Lard 12

At first I was excited to finally see Young and Lard on the floor at the same time. But after a few games, I'm thinking it doesn't help us. I think both guys are best guarding a post player and not somebody's stretch 4 or 4th guard. Wish we could get 10 and 5 from Solomon while still getting Lard's production. Probably wishful thinking.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The best guy to have at the 4 when he is healthy is Brase. Going forward, I can see ISU going with these 8- Babb, Wigg, Jackson, Brase, Lard, Talley, Young and then maybe Lewis or Long gets a few minutes here and there.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
At first I was excited to finally see Young and Lard on the floor at the same time. But after a few games, I'm thinking it doesn't help us. I think both guys are best guarding a post player and not somebody's stretch 4 or 4th guard. Wish we could get 10 and 5 from Solomon while still getting Lard's production. Probably wishful thinking.

That's the tricky part. I agree that we are better with one on the floor at a time, but both deserve more than 20 minutes of playing time.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Sorry for overstating the obvious to anyone else, but holy crap, I just checked our next 10-games: seven vs top 12 rank teams, two with former ranked BAY - brutal:
  • BAY
  • @ #16 TCU
  • #8 TTech
  • @ UT.
  • #24 Tenn
  • #2 WVA
  • @ BAY
  • @ #8 TTech
  • #9 OU
  • #12 KU

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

1. NWB
2. Wiggi
3. THT
4. Zion Griffin
5. Lard

Babb
Wigginton
Shayok
Horton-Tucker
Lard

That'll be a small ball lineup we play with a lot next year I promise you. You can get away with it because Babb Shayok and THT are all big guards. Wigginton can jump out of the gym. Babb should have some ridiculous assist numbers. All of those guys can put the ball in the bucket at a high clip.