Reseating of Hilton

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Anyone had luck adding seats? We're in 216, but only have 2 tickets - which doesn't work very well with our family size now.

We added one in 204 last year.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
RESEATED just A FEW YRS BACK, parkay seats 2,500 went to 5,000 and 10,000 LEVEL WENT TO 12,500 ONLY 5,000 and 12,500 donations sit in parkay as 2,500 donors were kicked upstairs, without displacing anyone up there who were now required to donate 2,500 in certain sections to keep your seats. if you didn't donate 2,500, you were moved to the 1,000 donation sections

I had to increase my donation to now 2,500 to keep my front row seats. I have friends who donate 2,500 and were in the parkay before and are seated now in first row of a 1,000 section when the seats came available when another friend dropped out completely. Some people who came late to the donation game are donating 5,000 to 12,500 and are in the balcony, waiting for seats in the parkay to open up. It is ALWAYS A QUESTIONS OF MONEY DONATED ALWAYS
That is not reseating. It's raising prices

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
It's been a lot harder to sell tickets this year for non-Saturday games. As good as we are, it's a shame how little demand there has been for some games.

Lower the price.

I don't know why that's funny. Usually people on here complain about no buyers and then go on to say why they need to make their money back plus a profit for doing the work. Got tickets without buyers? Offer them for $10. At least it's butts in seats.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That is not reseating. It's raising prices

Its a partial reseating, in effect, while still honoring the loyalty of existing ticketholders, which i think is important in college basketball. It gives long-time ticketholders a chance to up their donation to what it would have to be if there was a reseating. Those who can't open up their seats to those who can and have the priority pts to reseat into their seats.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1100011CS

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
FWIW, I think the ticket office could do a better job of figuring out how to put more actual butts in seats for games. They have quite a few tickets in the lower level that are available for almost every game. For example, there was almost an entire section on Saturday that had football recruits and their families sitting in. I have no issue with this but, more times than not, those seats are empty.

Now granted, they are not the best seats (behind the band), but they are in the lower level. There are other seats in the lower level corners as well that the ticket office has in their possession.

Perhaps they should lower the donation requirement for these seats a level or two to encourage folks to take these seats as season tickets.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Here's how I would go about dealing with student tickets/no-shows:
Allow students to "sell back" their tickets to ISU on a game by game basis. Set a deadline such as 2 days before the game where students could go online and declare that they're not going. If they don't do that, they have tickets whether they go or not. If they do, then they get $3-$5 toward their account. Then ISU can resell those tickets starting with the upper balcony rows to the general public. Students have the chance to get some of their money back if they're not going to the game and ISU makes money selling at least some of those seats at a higher price. Win-win IMO.

Obviously, the only drawback is that the computer system that runs the scanners would need to be able to recognize that a student had sold their ticket for that game, but that shouldn't be too tough.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I wish they would lower the minimum on the ISU ticket exchange, no one is paying $25 each for corner balcony non-con game. A lot of times we have short notice on if some in our group are going to games and it's too much work to find a match on here. I've also had too many times where people on here backed out late after they had agreed to buy my tickets. Wish I could just throw them on there for $5-10.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I would love if the student section surrounded the court. That would be a very intimidating atmosphere.
If the students show up, it is usually great. When they don't show up the empty seats would be painfully obvious.

I would argue that all of Hilton has been good, but not great this year. Too many donors spent the last few minutes of yesterday's game chewing their nails instead of making noise.
I was at Saturday's game. The "lower" level people were on their feet and making noise. There were several times on defensive stands that the "lower" level people were up first.

agardini

Nov 12, 2009
Anyone had luck adding seats? We're in 216, but only have 2 tickets - which doesn't work very well with our family size now.

I was able to add a 3rd seat last year and was fortunate to be able to add a 4th seat this year. They are in sets of 2 in the same section, but 10 rows apart. This is a play for the future as my kids, ages 3 & 4, dont have enough patience to sit for 2 hours watching a basketball game. 95% of the time I go to the games alone and we sell the other set of 2 tickets.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I was able to add a 3rd seat last year and was fortunate to be able to add a 4th seat this year. They are in sets of 2 in the same section, but 10 rows apart. This is a play for the future as my kids, ages 3 & 4, dont have enough patience to sit for 2 hours watching a basketball game. 95% of the time I go to the games alone and we sell the other set of 2 tickets.

Similar situation. I was able to add 2 seats in a different section 4 years ago, but have not been able to get them moved together yet. My kids are getting close to an age were I'd consider taking them to most games, so I hope we get moved together soon.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
For the big games yes, but there is no denying there are a ton of empty seats in the balcony on the east side of Hilton for about 80% of the games. Butts in seats is still better than empty seats.

Hard pass on this based on how lame the full crowd without students was for KSU game. More students = more like Hilton should be.

Figure out how to get more students to show up - and maybe sell the extra seats to the public shortly before tip - rather than take away student seats.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Figure out how to get more students to show up - and maybe sell the extra seats to the public shortly before tip - rather than take away student seats.
Kind of my thought. Maybe 4-5 hour before send a text out where the tickets are cheap, like 10 bucks.
I’m signed up on the football text deal alerts and it works well.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Here's how I would go about dealing with student tickets/no-shows:
Allow students to "sell back" their tickets to ISU on a game by game basis. Set a deadline such as 2 days before the game where students could go online and declare that they're not going. If they don't do that, they have tickets whether they go or not. If they do, then they get $3-$5 toward their account. Then ISU can resell those tickets starting with the upper balcony rows to the general public. Students have the chance to get some of their money back if they're not going to the game and ISU makes money selling at least some of those seats at a higher price. Win-win IMO.

Obviously, the only drawback is that the computer system that runs the scanners would need to be able to recognize that a student had sold their ticket for that game, but that shouldn't be too tough.
Great in theory but isn't going to work. It takes 1,000 students to sell back before any tickets actually open up. Now Iowa State is behind $3,000-$5,000 and doesn't have anything to sell back.

Students aren't the problem in Hilton. The Kansas State game showed that. The Kansas game also did. The environments for both paled in comparison to what it would have been with students there. Athletics did a terrible job making sure students were at those game. It shouldn't have cost students a dime to go.

The whole season attendance has been disappointing. Sans Kansas, there have been pockets of seats open around the whole arena. Some of that is due to scalpers buying up the cheap season tickets and not moving the seats. Some of that is due to people just going "If people are only willing to give me $10/seat it isn't worth the effort to fill the seat."

• Disagree
Reactions: Frak

CyAg

May 22, 2006
There are 2 options when it comes to seating (and I am using the terms when the AD did this last a few years ago) and it is either re-seating or re-indexing. This AD did a re-indexing that adjusted the donation levels required to sit in all sections and also made sure all that were currently had seats in any given donor section were paying the full required donation (there had been some grandfathering prior).

Re-seating would basically empty the whole coliseum to start over by donor level and total priority points. This would reward current donation but likely never fully account for longevity of donations. The only way to do this would be to require both a current donation but also put first criteria on total amount donated over time (or a percentage of perhaps).

Both options provide opportunity and complaints of course. The re-seating probably would cause more and I personally know the AD does not favor this option. Regardless, even if we did the re-seating, based on how many are already waiting to move down, or lower, or towards the middle, there is a very good chance if you were a donor at below $2,500 your seats could be moved higher, or further to sides. (This falls under be careful what you wish for.)

On a related but differing note, there has been some confusion with the "lifetime seating" in some posts in this thread. The lifetime seating is only in Jack Trice Stadium seating in relation to a set of donors who have a fixed amount when the stadium was being built with lifetime seats (east side lower level). They have tried to change this several times, but legal action is always inferred. I do thank those who stepped up then and while it was a bad agreement in some ways, it does need to be honored.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Cycsk and 1100011CS

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
We're in section 213, 3rd row from the top. This is our 4th or 5th year donating around 5k. We've moved down 1 row in that time span. I respect that people are sitting much closer at a much lower rate, given that they have been donating for 20+ years. I think that should weigh heavily into reseating/priority. We have 4 tickets and have offered to split into 2 and 2 to get closer. My wife has an eye disease that doesn't afford her to see well at all. Really I'm just donating so that at some point in life we will have tickets good enough for her (and potentially our future kids).

I think they need to do a point system. Everytime your ticket is scanned you get x amount of points that play into re-seating/priority. That way it awards the fans that actually show up (or buy away packages through university) more often than others.

Question: Can you "gift" your tickets to future generations? ILO them having to start over?

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
Great in theory but isn't going to work. It takes 1,000 students to sell back before any tickets actually open up. Now Iowa State is behind $3,000-$5,000 and doesn't have anything to sell back.

Students aren't the problem in Hilton. The Kansas State game showed that. The Kansas game also did. The environments for both paled in comparison to what it would have been with students there. Athletics did a terrible job making sure students were at those game. It shouldn't have cost students a dime to go.

The whole season attendance has been disappointing. Sans Kansas, there have been pockets of seats open around the whole arena. Some of that is due to scalpers buying up the cheap season tickets and not moving the seats. Some of that is due to people just going "If people are only willing to give me $10/seat it isn't worth the effort to fill the seat."

Just to note, for the Kansas game students had the opportunity to claim their ticket for no charge. Granted, there was a deadline and I know at least a few people who missed the deadline and otherwise might have come. But there was at least the chance for students to come to the KU game. For the Kansas State game, it was like they usually do for games over break, with students being able to purchase discounted tickets.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
One thing that I wonder about is how many donations / tickets are bought and paid for by businesses, which barring anything super unforeseen, means that those tickets will not become available to the public and can continue to be passed along year to year literally for infinity, or until the business goes belly up or stops purchasing the tickets. Which may account for stretches of empty seats in the "prime" mid court lower / upper level areas.

I know for a fact that the four seats next to us are used by a certain seed company and I don't think I have seen the same four in those seats in almost two years. Completely their right to pay for the tickets and give them to clients as gifts, but that is four seats that could go to other fans potentially. This may be some ticket holder's strategy for keeping tickets in the "family" through the generations and contributing to the low season ticket renewal turnover.

Help Support Us

Become a patron