RECRUITING: Caleb Grill updates recruitment; eyeing April official visits

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You lose your scholarship. It has no impact on teammates, coaches, fans, or the like. And it's doubtful you made a commitment in the first place.
One of my friends went to college on a music scholarship. He committed to play music. If he had wanted to transfer to a different school, he could have, without penalty, and he would have left the concert band, marching band, pep band, and all of the other music groups he had committed to be in, and left them without one of the best damned tuba players in collegiate history. It would have had plenty of impact, at least as much as a 3rd string linebacker wanting to transfer somewhere to get more playing time, yet the rules are different for him, because... reasons.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Are there backup band members? I don’t know how it all works, but from the outside I feel like it’s not comparable. I feel like if you’re in the band you want to be in you’re in it, so why leave? I also don’t think it brings in the money football and basketball do.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Are there backup band members? I don’t know how it all works, but from the outside I feel like it’s not comparable. I feel like if you’re in the band you want to be in you’re in it, so why leave? I also don’t think it brings in the money football and basketball do.
You don't think there's first chair, second chair, etc?

But you're right about money. It's all about the money. If college bands were money makers, I'm sure someone would have tried to impose ridiculous rules on the members just like athletes. The ncaa doesn't want to admit that it's about money though

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
You don't think there's first chair, second chair, etc?

But you're right about money. It's all about the money. If college bands were money makers, I'm sure someone would have tried to impose ridiculous rules on the members just like athletes. The ncaa doesn't want to admit that it's about money though

Slots in college marching band and ensembles are not "show up and you're in." It depends on the school, but those slots can have massive competitions over them.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Gonna go out on a limb here and say we don't get him. Grill to ksu and nadolny to tech. Double nut punch from both of em. We end up taking javan Johnson from troy and his barely 10 ppg in the sun belt(?) And player to be named grad transfer from bemidji state. Bank the 3rd. 2017 is coming back too soon.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Gonna go out on a limb here and say we don't get him. Grill to ksu and nadolny to tech. Double nut punch from both of em. We end up taking javan Johnson from troy and his barely 10 ppg in the sun belt(?) And player to be named grad transfer from bemidji state. Bank the 3rd. 2017 is coming back too soon.
How is being on the right side of percentages going out on a limb?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Schools could be docked scholarships for youngsters who play as grad transfers but do not then graduate with a post-grad degree in a timely fashion. For TxT, that may have been an okay exchange. Frankly, I believe the ethics at play here are dreadful presently.

No ethics in your concept at all. At least half the students in general who start a graduate degree won't complete it.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Well this is depressing.

• Agree
Reactions: WastedTalent

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

Saw some Grill quotes on a UNLV site...loves TJ. They think he’s theirs. Still hoping for Clarence!!

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Saw some Grill quotes on a UNLV site...loves TJ. They think he’s theirs. Still hoping for Clarence!!

UNLV fans are generally delusional. As of now, he doesn't even have a visit set up to go out there.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

This is my worst fear, but probably biggest likelihood IMO.

It sure seems like we'll be getting Javan Johnson, which is fine, but he's not a starter type player IMO. He's a guy that can provide some depth, maybe 10 mins a game.

I think Nadolny and Grill could potentially be starters.

IMO, Tre Jackson will see a lot of minutes next year just based on his shooting ability alone. I want shooters!!!

Reactions: Doc and cyfan21

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Did Grill call CSP just to get another scholarship offer on his belt? Hope not.
If he truly likes our style of play, I think we have a good chance to get him in Cardinal and Gold.

• Funny
Reactions: Stereotype

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Like clockwork. Pretty sure he's rooting for just that.
I'm not. Just preparing myself for the worst so I'm not caught off guard when it happens. Classic cyclone fan defense tactics. 2017 is simply to fresh of a wound still, we scrambled and ended up losing just about every recruiting battle aside from the ones against mid majors. Prohm had to bring in players that had no business playing in the big 12 just so he could field a team. Javan Johnson feels like that guy, and he wouldn't even play next year anyway. The freshman are good gets but the optimism meter is low. Just saying if we don't get either of them, and only bringing back what we're bringing back next year feels a lot like a last place big 12 season next year, ala 2017

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I'm not. Just preparing myself for the worst so I'm not caught off guard when it happens. Classic cyclone fan defense tactics. 2017 is simply to fresh of a wound still, we scrambled and ended up losing just about every recruiting battle aside from the ones against mid majors. Prohm had to bring in players that had no business playing in the big 12 just so he could field a team. Javan Johnson feels like that guy, and he wouldn't even play next year anyway. The freshman are good gets but the optimism meter is low. Just saying if we don't get either of them, and only bringing back what we're bringing back next year feels a lot like a last place big 12 season next year, ala 2017

Ok, your explanation is still depressing. Between that and the Oceans 11 group gathering back in Lincoln, doesn’t somebody have some UPLIFTING news for us instead?? I know...patience, fellow Cyclone fans.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Ok, your explanation is still depressing. Between that and the Oceans 11 group gathering back in Lincoln, doesn’t somebody have some UPLIFTING news for us instead?? I know...patience, fellow Cyclone fans.

Were you happier when you were 'unable' to post on here? Or did you make your real life people miserable with your always fatalistic attitude?

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

CyJack2299

Mar 26, 2019

This guy has been a cyclone fan a long time. Expecting a disaster is what we all did a decade ago

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Relax it is April 13. No decisions have been made yet and Johnson isn't a lock to commit either. The staff is focused on Grill and Nadolny with the contact period just opening. There are more and more transfers announcing their intention every day, and most wait to finish school before visiting in May. I assure ISU will be associated with more transfers and well hear about them in a couple of weeks.
I understand having concern but way to early to stress, many if not most programs are sitting in the same transition spot as ISU. Prohm will figure it out and be fine.