RECRUITING: Caleb Grill updates recruitment; eyeing April official visits

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I'm not. Just preparing myself for the worst so I'm not caught off guard when it happens. Classic cyclone fan defense tactics. 2017 is simply to fresh of a wound still, we scrambled and ended up losing just about every recruiting battle aside from the ones against mid majors. Prohm had to bring in players that had no business playing in the big 12 just so he could field a team. Javan Johnson feels like that guy, and he wouldn't even play next year anyway. The freshman are good gets but the optimism meter is low. Just saying if we don't get either of them, and only bringing back what we're bringing back next year feels a lot like a last place big 12 season next year, ala 2017

Droopy Dog.

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I'm not. Just preparing myself for the worst so I'm not caught off guard when it happens. Classic cyclone fan defense tactics. 2017 is simply to fresh of a wound still, we scrambled and ended up losing just about every recruiting battle aside from the ones against mid majors. Prohm had to bring in players that had no business playing in the big 12 just so he could field a team. Javan Johnson feels like that guy, and he wouldn't even play next year anyway. The freshman are good gets but the optimism meter is low. Just saying if we don't get either of them, and only bringing back what we're bringing back next year feels a lot like a last place big 12 season next year, ala 2017
I'm sure you were quite bullish on making the NCAAs at this time last year. May as well shut the program down.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Relax it is April 13. No decisions have been made yet and Johnson isn't a lock to commit either. The staff is focused on Grill and Nadolny with the contact period just opening. There are more and more transfers announcing their intention every day, and most wait to finish school before visiting in May. I assure ISU will be associated with more transfers and well hear about them in a couple of weeks.
I understand having concern but way to early to stress, many if not most programs are sitting in the same transition spot as ISU. Prohm will figure it out and be fine.
Nope. The sooner you realize we are going to get the shaft the sooner you can get the lube ready. We need to panic now.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Were you happier when you were 'unable' to post on here? Or did you make your real life people miserable with your always fatalistic attitude?

Fatalistic? I’m the one telling the poster ‘his’ prediction is depressing & asking for uplifting news and/or patience. How is that being fatalistic? You and *** are the only ones that make me miserable. Since you’re so into labeling people, let me try it once....Thread after thread CF posters post lots of info, thoughts, concerns, recruiting, celebrations, questions, X&O’s discussions, reactions good or bad, etc. ...people aren’t always going to agree or think the same way but instead of just disagreeing, you just attack everyone personally or accuse them of agendas. Sorry, I’m not perfect.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Fatalistic? I’m the one telling the poster ‘his’ prediction is depressing & asking for uplifting news and/or patience. How is that being fatalistic? You and *** are the only ones that make me miserable. Since you’re so into labeling people, let me try it once....Thread after thread CF posters post lots of info, thoughts, concerns, recruiting, celebrations, questions, X&O’s discussions, reactions good or bad, etc. ...people aren’t always going to agree or think the same way but instead of just disagreeing, you just attack everyone personally or accuse them of agendas. Sorry, I’m not perfect.
If it was all rainbows and sunshine 100% of the time, these forums would be a pretty dull place

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If it was all rainbows and sunshine 100% of the time, these forums would be a pretty dull place

I mean that’s fine but where’s the comeuppance for all the ******* morons that said we wouldn’t win another game after the WVU game? There is none, they just get to go back and do it all over again. It’s not about rainbows and sunshine vs doom and gloomers for me it’s how the reps of each side act and the manner in which they post.

When disagreeing that we won’t win another game after the WVU game is labeled as “sunshine and rainbows” then what is the counter to that? One side deals in absolutes the other doesn’t and that is the difference. One side also thinks they can predict the future. One side throws out garbage and when they are right 1/100 they shout it all over that “they knew this was going to happen!” it’s ******* dumb and the posters especially in the b-ball season should gft and reevaluate their lives because I’m sure they act similarly in real life and if they took a step back they would see that people in their real lives probably don’t like or respect them as much as they think are liked and respected.

Last edited:

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
What's up with the photo on this story...Is this Grill guy Sasquatch or a bank robber hiding his face? Surely a highly rated recruit has some actual photos showing his face or maybe even shooting a basketball?? :)

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
giphy.gif

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I mean that’s fine but where’s the comeuppance for all the ******* morons that said we wouldn’t win another game after the WVU game? There is none, they just get to go back and do it all over again. It’s not about rainbows and sunshine vs doom and gloomers for me it’s how the reps of each side act and the manner in which they post.

When disagreeing that we won’t win another game after the WVU game is labeled as “sunshine and rainbows” then what is the counter to that? One side deals in absolutes the other doesn’t and that is the difference. One side also thinks they can predict the future. One side throws out garbage and when they are right 1/100 they shout it all over that “they knew this was going to happen!” it’s ******* dumb and the posters especially in the b-ball season should gft and reevaluate their lives because I’m sure they act similarly in real life and if they took a step back they would see that people in their real lives probably don’t like or respect them as much as they think are liked and respected.
All I meant was that if everyone agreed and got along, we wouldn't even need these forums. It is the place for public discourse. I know my outlook is a bit doom and gloom but I'm not saying that I hope what I think will happen, happens. I hope prohm does go out and sign some nice players in the coming months. We need him to or we are in for a long 2019-2020 season. I don't want to sit thru another 17-18 last place fiasco, but if prohm doesn't get some of these tier 1 guys and has to settle for tier 3 and 4 guys like he did in the spring 2 years ago, we will not be a good basketball team next year. If he brings in the newer versions of brace and Beverly this spring, all we can really hope and pray for next season is an NIT berth. We need immediate help. I will not pound my chest if prohm doesn't find the right guys this spring. I will be devastated. I want to watch good basketball come winter.

• Winner
Reactions: Cydar

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I don't think we're as far off as some make it sound. I think with Solo, Conditt, Jacobson, Haliburton, Nixon we have a nice core to work with. If we can get a nice transfer and a couple of the young guys step up we can have a good team.We do need someone to step up and help with 1 - 3 positions.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
All I meant was that if everyone agreed and got along, we wouldn't even need these forums. It is the place for public discourse.

Most of us come here to share in our love of the Cyclone athletic programs in a positive way win or lose. But there are a few posters who consistently try to shout us down by running down the coach, the players and large parts of the fan base.

I can honestly type "Go Cyclones!" and mean it. Can't say that about some others on here.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Relax it is April 13. No decisions have been made yet and Johnson isn't a lock to commit either. The staff is focused on Grill and Nadolny with the contact period just opening. There are more and more transfers announcing their intention every day, and most wait to finish school before visiting in May. I assure ISU will be associated with more transfers and well hear about them in a couple of weeks.
I understand having concern but way to early to stress, many if not most programs are sitting in the same transition spot as ISU. Prohm will figure it out and be fine.

It’s never too early for anti prohmers.

I think they are actually happy speculating on missing on all of these guys. They will be even more giddy if we lose out on them.

• Agree
Reactions: LLCoolCY

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
All I meant was that if everyone agreed and got along, we wouldn't even need these forums. It is the place for public discourse. I know my outlook is a bit doom and gloom but I'm not saying that I hope what I think will happen, happens. I hope prohm does go out and sign some nice players in the coming months. We need him to or we are in for a long 2019-2020 season. I don't want to sit thru another 17-18 last place fiasco, but if prohm doesn't get some of these tier 1 guys and has to settle for tier 3 and 4 guys like he did in the spring 2 years ago, we will not be a good basketball team next year. If he brings in the newer versions of brace and Beverly this spring, all we can really hope and pray for next season is an NIT berth. We need immediate help. I will not pound my chest if prohm doesn't find the right guys this spring. I will be devastated. I want to watch good basketball come winter.

I agree with this. Some one this forum say stuff like "there are other recruits out there". Yeah but if we miss out on our primary targets we are going after guys and beating UNI and other schools. That get's us nowhere. We need to be getting our primary a lot of the time. It's ok to take a flyer on a kid. However, we need to get some of our primary targets and right now. It's not looking that good.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I agree with this. Some one this forum say stuff like "there are other recruits out there". Yeah but if we miss out on our primary targets we are going after guys and beating UNI and other schools. That get's us nowhere. We need to be getting our primary a lot of the time. It's ok to take a flyer on a kid. However, we need to get some of our primary targets and right now. It's not looking that good.

We do. Recruiting is a numbers game. You talk to 100 prospects, get interest from 10-15 of them. Recruit those guys heavily hoping to get 3-4 to sign, because those 10-15 are also being recruited heavily and visiting 4-5 other schools each. Of the spring high school kids, we are recruiting Nadolny, Grill and Wheeler heavily, that we know of. We'd be doing pretty well to get one of them considering they are all being recruited just as hard by multiple other big time programs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron