Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Underestimating? LOL. I love how everyone "thinks" they know what will happen if a GOR is challenged. Until that happens, its all theory.

Its not complicated. You can't just "challenge" someone's ownership of something because you don't like it, and the ACC owns those rights for the length of the agreement. Those rights are just as valid as say a record label claiming ownership of an artist's music because those rights were signed over to them. And even billionaire artists like TSwift have not been able to get those kinds of rights back over their own recordings.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
On the other hand, it might not be in the Big 12's best interest for the ACC to implode right now. It would give them an opportunity to merge with the PAC and form a 24 team superconference. It seems like the PAC needs to dissolve FIRST, before the ACC does.
I wonder if some of the ACC unrest is due to the PAC having conversations with some of them?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Oh my bad gotcha. Sorry thought that was in response to my hypothetical of payments remaining equal for a few years even with adding two ACC schools. Carry on.

That's still a hit vs expected future revenues given they're expected to increase.

• Dumb
Reactions: Gorm

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Its not complicated. You can't just "challenge" someone's ownership of something because you don't like it, and the ACC owns those rights for the length of the agreement. Those rights are just as valid as say a record label claiming ownership of an artist's music because those rights were signed over to them. And even billionaire artists like TSwift have not been able to get those kinds of rights back over their own recordings.

Cool theory bro.

I'd be curious to see how the "State Sovereignty" strategy to try and break the GOR would go in court. It was used sucessfully by Texas Tech in its contract dispute with Mike Leech. Obviously not an option for private schools.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Cool theory bro.

Just the basic concept of contracts being something you can't just unilaterally decide to cancel because you don't like them anymore. Its you that's engaging in wild dumbass theories.

I'd be curious to see how the "State Sovereignty" strategy to try and break the GOR would go in court. It was used sucessfully by Texas Tech in its contract dispute with Mike Leech. Obviously not an option for private schools.

Also not likely an option for most other schools. Texas is fairly unique in that as I understand (the concept exists elsewhere, but not anywhere near as broadly).

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Cool theory bro.

You don’t seem to realize schools have signed away their own ability to broadcast their own games. You can’t sell media assets to a new conference/broadcast partner without owning those rights.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Also not likely an option for most other schools. Texas is fairly unique in that as I understand (the concept exists elsewhere, but not anywhere near as broadly).

All depends on how their state laws / constitutions are written. I agree that its likely not applicable to every state. I'd be curious to see if Florida has a similar wording.

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
You don’t seem to realize schools have signed away their own ability to broadcast their own games. You can’t sell media assets to a new conference/broadcast partner without owning those rights.

Yah...and if you get a court to nullify the contract how does that matter?

• Dumb
Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Explain what you mean.
Not sure what part you’re referring to, I assume you mean the Big12 perception part instead of the arrogance part. Duke views themselves as a truly elite institution where just going there makes you better than most. They have the idea that they don’t want to associate themselves with “those people” it’s why they have a rivalry with UNC and view NCST as trash not worthy of their time or attention. The big12 is the best basketball conference and a damn good football conference but the perception of the big12 as a truck stop conference (like the pac says) exists amongst other institutions as well.

Not my thoughts on the big12 but it’s a very common public perception sadly.

• Useful

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
It turns out "waah, we don't like it because we could get more money elsewhere" isnt a legally valid reason to void a contract

That seems like a bold strategy on the part of the school's legal team.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
All depends on how their state laws / constitutions are written. I agree that its likely not applicable to every state. I'd be curious to see if Florida has a similar wording.
Texas law doesn’t even provide immunity for an ‘express breach’ of a contract.

• Disagree

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
The ACC exit fee is $120m.

The ACC owns their media rights, and the value of those would be somewhere between $221m (in the ACC) and $793m (in the B10) for the duration of the GOR.

ESPN isn't going to go along with blowing up the ACC if schools are going to the B10. They might be slightly more favorable if they're going to the SEC.

The ACC has a contract in place and no reason to negotiate. The schools that could maybe find a place in the B12 have no reason to negotiate so long as that's a parallel move. The schools that would get left out of the P3 have no reason to negotiate as that's an existential threat to their athletic departments.

"We don't like this contract anymore because we could get a better deal elsewhere" isn't a legal argument to break a contract.

UNC, FSU or whomever wants to get out isn't going anywhere. This is likely all posturing to try to get more money from the ACC either through structured unequal revenue distributions or a bigger cut of CFP money if they make appearances.
Big12 had no reason to negotiate either, and took appx 50% of the amount owed.

Exit fees - 2 years @ $35M each = $70M. Plus their GoR for 1 year. That's EACH. But we got $100M (minus Fox cut $20M). Total.

So Big12 got $80M of $140M exit fees (57%), and ZERO for 1 year of GoR.

The much longer ACC GoR has a lot more leverage than the 1 year vs OuT, so that is important. But still, you CAN run the numbers on such a thing.

I guess my point is that you can probably cut that number in half as a practical step. So say $340M ($120+$220). Cut that down to $200M. But if you get $50M more annual, and are guaranteed a spot at the big table forever, that's a no brainer investment.

And if you think the conference can hold their feet to the fire and force them to pay up every last cent... I doubt it. The Hateful 8 couldn't make it happen. Rarely does something like this not get settled. Clemson and FSU could countersue the ACC for dereliction of duty or some such trumped up crap, and string this thing out forever. And there will be motivation for the conference to get on with it.

I am not saying this is imminent or will happen this way exactly. It's probably closer to 2030 than today.

Another way: if the over/under for FSU leaving the ACC was 2035 (GoR expires 2036), would you take the over?