Realignment Megathread (All The Moves)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Hmmm.... temors coming from the ACC big dogs. Perhaps the Big 12 should consider taking only a couple of PAC teams for now so they can have space to add a few ACC teams in the future?

Cunningham has been pretty vocal about the ACC's dilemma. As far back as last summer he was pushing an ACC/Pac10 merger after USC/UCLA bolted. My guess is he hoped it would open up ESPN's deal with the ACC or bring in another media partner willing to pay 2025 prices.

At some point, I feel Fox & ESPN are going to come to the conclusion chaos isn't constructive for the next decade and work with Big10, SEC, Big12, ACC and maybe Pac12 to divide up teams into a P3.

People focus on ESPN being in the catbird seat with the ACC, but with the growth of streaming there could become a time when the ACCN becomes a money pit. Currently ESPN pays the ACC around $250M annually and committed to operating costs of ACCN. The SEC could add 4 elite ACC teams and ESPN could increase its SEC deal by $250M. Last year the Disney deal with the ACC was 33 games on ABC (15), ESPN (10), and ESPN2/U (8). The rest (70ish) on ACCN.

Same goes for FOX & Big10. The big question for the Big10 is do they prefer more of a western presence (AAU schools like Stanford, Cal, UU, UA or CU) or more of a southeast focus (UNC, UVA, Duke, GaTech). Assuming ND joins the Big10 and maybe has influence if its partner is Stanford or BC.

The Big12 would have pick of the rest.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm a professional worrier, and the more I think about it, this seems like the only scenario that can hurt the Big 12 and Iowa State.

Can someone smarter than me explain why this would not happen?
Explain to me how the ACC gains value with a full merger? I’d the TV networks thought the PAC was worth what the ACC is getting, wouldn’t they just bid that or close to it and keep the PAC on its own? The PAC is worth 200-25MM for the 10 teams networks are saying, or so we have heard. If 2-4 of those teams are worth 5-10MM each, wouldn’t it make more sense for any involved parties outside of the PAC to shed those teams? If you want an extra time slot, then grab 2 teams that may be worth more now sense they provide something in that conference’s offers that they didn’t have before.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
So many meanings here...top, and most concerning for the PAC, is that no major media source (i.e: ESPN, Fox, etc.) submitted a credible bid. Or, perhaps the bids came in from streaming sources and they were underwhelming, at best, and the PAC simply didn't want to bring these options public.

Another source was saying that the PAC simply wants to slow roll their teams, basically forcing them to accept whatever contract is approved, knowing that many have no other choice but to take what is offered.

Is it enough to cause the corner four to move? Does Oregon and Washington force unequal sharing...stand by.
Every day they don't have to sign a GOR is another day WAOR can hope a B10 invite is going to show up. IMO, they're fine with slow rolling things at the very minimum until the B10 gets a commissioner installed.

On the other hand, what's the lead-time necessary for a school to change conferences? Between contracts, marketing, scheduling, travel, logistics and everything else, ~12 months would probably be a pretty compressed timeline. I think the early April deadline some of the schools gave the conference is pretty serious. That's about when you'd want to start making plans for a June announcement.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
UNC publicly adding their support to unequal revenue sharing is meant to have some sort of impact I’d assume on something. Why do that if you expect no results?
Simple, so that when they leave no one can blame them. It’s like when a pro athlete is under contract and they are upset with the team or their contract. They start publicly talking about being unhappy so that anyone who might be interested knows they want to move and so when they do move they can justify their actions. They can complain all they want but there is no reason the ACC has to do anything because they have a contract and the ACC would actually be stupid to do anything without them committing to a much longer GOR which they won’t do. It’s all very empty posturing.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Simple, so that when they leave no one can blame them. It’s like when a pro athlete is under contract and they are upset with the team or their contract. They start publicly talking about being unhappy so that anyone who might be interested knows they want to move and so when they do move they can justify their actions. They can complain all they want but there is no reason the ACC has to do anything because they have a contract and the ACC would actually be stupid to do anything without them committing to a much longer GOR which they won’t do. It’s all very empty posturing.
13 years is a lot of lead time

Reactions: Kinch

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
13 years is a lot of lead time
Agreed but they are stuck. Public comments like this help appease the fans that the AD is doing something about it and that they recognize the problem. FSU and UNC can try all they want but they truly appear stuck for awhile

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

baghdad-bob-comical-ali.gif

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron