Ranking Ski Resorts

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Don't have any advice on Beaver Creek as I haven't been there. However, with Copper Mountain, I've got advice. First of all, USE COUPONS there. You can either get them at Gas Stations/Grocery stores in Denver or I think there is booklets you can buy (not sure where) OR, what I do is usually just buy them on Ebay for a small amount.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ns.TRS0&_nkw=copper+mountain+coupons&_sacat=0

As for skiing Copper, the resort is known for its segregated areas where the right side of the mountain is mostly greens, the middle mostly blues and the left mostly blacks. This makes it really easy for new people to know where to go. A couple other things to keep in mind is that the top lifts of the mountain are above the treeline and can get REALLY snowy and windy up there, so beware depending on conditions. With that said, one of those lifts is Storm King, which I remember as actually being a T-Bar, so if you haven't experienced one of those, there you go. Again, it will be like taking a single t-bar through a frozen tundra usually though :). Also, if you want more of a challenge, Copper does have a couple good back bowls with one where you can take a free snowcat over to go down more remote areas (only place I know of that has a free snowcat available, which is cool). However, the snowcat area will be all expert terrain. Lastly, as for parking, I don't remember it being too bad in comparison to other Colorado resorts. Just make sure you get there early to avoid a longer walk.

Sent you a PM but wanted to reply here in case others have their 2 cents to add.

How reliable is the ebay stuff? Seems like its too good to be true for the skeptic in me. Can you get it so I can pick up there? Heading out this Saturday.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Keystone and Breckenridge are great if you're more into the scene than skiing. I love both places, but the boarder bros make it a little tough to stomach. Vail is amazing, but it's a bit of a hassle. Give me WP on a weekday for the rest of my life.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Keystone and Breckenridge are great if you're more into the scene than skiing. I love both places, but the boarder bros make it a little tough to stomach. Vail is amazing, but it's a bit of a hassle. Give me WP on a weekday for the rest of my life.

I've only done breck on a Sunday so yeah it's a little "touresty" for me, but does have some fun runs on peaks 7 and 10 that I like.

Keystone is a blast if you head to the back two mountains for the morning and hit up the front later in the afternoon when its cleared out.

Vail is spectacular and worth the hassle for me.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Awesome terrain/town/base area/scenery, but their dirty little secret is that they don't get as much snow as most other places.

This is always my biggest fear when I'm spending a ton of money and planning a fixed time-period trip ahead of time to someplace. In the end, snow quantity/quality ends up being the make or break factor for me with any trip, so I like keeping my odds as high as possible with where I choose. Sure, there is no guarantees anywhere, but there are definitely ones with higher odds than others. I learned my lesson on this when I skied Tahoe about three years ago during the last year of their 8-year drought. Sure, since then, Tahoe has been getting ridiculous amounts of snow and they actually average pretty good snowfall amounts overall. However, once you dig further into the numbers, you find that while they have high average snowfall amounts, that snow is SUPER inconsistent, which results in very few fresh powder days each year, several years with next to zero snow, but when it dumps snow, it DUMPS snow, and lots of it. Well, that doesn't bode well for a one big trip a year guys like myself when you compare it to Utah, which nearly ALWAYS has snow and dumps it evenly and consistently nearly every year, not to mention it is better fluffier snow.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This is always my biggest fear when I'm spending a ton of money and planning a fixed time-period trip ahead of time to someplace. In the end, snow quantity/quality ends up being the make or break factor for me with any trip, so I like keeping my odds as high as possible with where I choose. Sure, there is no guarantees anywhere, but there are definitely ones with higher odds than others. I learned my lesson on this when I skied Tahoe about three years ago during the last year of their 8-year drought. Sure, since then, Tahoe has been getting ridiculous amounts of snow and they actually average pretty good snowfall amounts overall. However, once you dig further into the numbers, you find that while they have high average snowfall amounts, that snow is SUPER inconsistent, which results in very few fresh powder days each year, several years with next to zero snow, but when it dumps snow, it DUMPS snow, and lots of it. Well, that doesn't bode well for a one big trip a year guys like myself when you compare it to Utah, which nearly ALWAYS has snow and dumps it evenly and consistently nearly every year.

I used to not think this was a big deal until one year there wasn't as much snow at Keystone and some of my favorite runs were either unsafe (unmarked rocks) or un-skiable.

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I used to not think this was a big deal until one year there wasn't as much snow at Keystone and some of my favorite runs were either unsafe (unmarked rocks) or un-skiable.

Yeah, snow is something someone can easily take for granted until it is gone. Then, you are like MAN, this sucks. Word to the wise all you only know Colorado people, you may not realize this, but the main Colorado ski area you likely ski every year isn't the best place for getting snow out there and it may bite you in the butt one of these days on your next trip... maybe not.

The best way you can avoid this is by choosing where you go, but also WHEN you go. In general, the best time of year to go with your best chance at getting the best and most snow, with the best overall base is late February or really early March. Consequently, this is also when I try to plan all my trips. News flash... Christmas break is a TERRIBLE time to go for many reasons outside of just snow chances.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Yeah, snow is something someone can easily take for granted until it is gone. Then, you are like MAN, this sucks. Word to the wise all you only know Colorado people, you may not realize this, but the main Colorado ski area you likely ski every year isn't the best place for getting snow out there and it may bite you in the butt one of these days on your next trip... maybe not.

The best way you can avoid this is by choosing where you go, but also WHEN you go. In general, the best time of year to go with your best chance at getting the best and most snow, with the best overall base is late February or really early March. Consequently, this is also when I try to plan all my trips. News flash... Christmas break is a TERRIBLE time to go for many reasons outside of just snow chances.

Yeah every year we have gone it's always end of feb/early march. We're leaving this Saturday. Good snow build up over the months before it gets warm and we are in and out before the spring breakers :) We're trying two new places this year (Copper/Beaver Creek). If there is good snow, I can handle just about anywhere without huge crowds. We always do Vail on a Monday and its spectacular in the back bowls.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

I've been to Keystone a half a dozen times and never had good snow. Might just be a coincidence, but one time we were staying there with a huge group and I talked a buddy into driving the 5 miles to A-Basin. We went from groomers to a freaking blizzard in 20 minutes and skied Powder all day. Got back and were saying what a great powder day it was and everyone looked at us like we were crazy.

I will say that Keystone/Breckenridge are great places to meet up with friends, because there easy to get to and have lots of amenities. Night skiing at Keystone is also pretty fun.

CLONECONES

Mar 15, 2012
RVA
I grew up in Park City so I may be bias and won't mention the by far superior Utah resorts but if you ever get the chance you need to do Canada. Kicking Horse & Whistler on are the Jackson Hole level but with double the trails

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I've been to Keystone a half a dozen times and never had good snow. Might just be a coincidence, but one time we were staying there with a huge group and I talked a buddy into driving the 5 miles to A-Basin. We went from groomers to a freaking blizzard in 20 minutes and skied Powder all day. Got back and were saying what a great powder day it was and everyone looked at us like we were crazy.

I will say that Keystone/Breckenridge are great places to meet up with friends, because there easy to get to and have lots of amenities. Night skiing at Keystone is also pretty fun.

I've been to Keystone 6 times and I'd say 4 of the years have had good luck with snow. One of the years they groomed some of my favorite runs over night and they had 2 inches of powder on top. Was the best skiing of my life. Love being able to take turns at full speed and get perfect traction. Another year we had 8 inches, and while I thought that'd be amazing, I actually was exhausted trying to turn in that much pow. I like a happy medium. There is just something about Keystone I love...maybe its just familiarity.

I did A-basin for the first time ever last year. I loved how it was a local scene as we just tailgated with a sandwich and beer over lunch at the free parking lot. I hated how there is basically one lift to get you up the mountain and in the morning it was a 20 minute wait. I enjoyed the back runs more than the front. It was fun but I'm ready to try some new places this year.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I've been to Keystone 6 times and I'd say 4 of the years have had good luck with snow. One of the years they groomed some of my favorite runs over night and they had 2 inches of powder on top. Was the best skiing of my life. Love being able to take turns at full speed and get perfect traction. Another year we had 8 inches, and while I thought that'd be amazing, I actually was exhausted trying to turn in that much pow. I like a happy medium. There is just something about Keystone I love...maybe its just familiarity.

I did A-basin for the first time ever last year. I loved how it was a local scene as we just tailgated with a sandwich and beer over lunch at the free parking lot. I hated how there is basically one lift to get you up the mountain and in the morning it was a 20 minute wait. I enjoyed the back runs more than the front. It was fun but I'm ready to try some new places this year.

I struggled with powder when I first moved here, so I feel your pain. :) Once I was able to upgrade to powder skis and figured it out, not much beats it. Although I still like going way too fast on a wide open groomer from time to time!

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Got plane tickets booked to Denver for one of my two ski trips this fall. Thinking about making the trek out to Aspen to get something different this year (I like different). Any advice on making the drive out there?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Got plane tickets booked to Denver for one of my two ski trips this fall. Thinking about making the trek out to Aspen to get something different this year (I like different). Any advice on making the drive out there?

I've only been there in the summer, but it was a good 3-4 hour drive with good weather. Hope you get good weather.

My guess is you'll have to take I-70 as highway 82 and Independence Pass will be closed.

• Informative