Ranking Ski Resorts

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Agree with Steamboat and Winter Park up there. I'd personally put Copper above Breck, but maybe I'm just weird. However, Breckenridge is one of the better ski towns IMO.

I've done Breck 6 times and Copper only once so I need to go there more to really compare. I will say however if you catch Breck on a busy day it can ruin your fun very quickly. Felt like both places had some cool runs above the tree line and a variety of difficulty.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The time has come my friend. Booked a flight to SLC with some guys for early March. Haven't nailed down a location exactly, but the group decided on doing Park City/Canyons (now merged I understand) for 2 days and then maybe Deer Valley. Looking forward to it!!

Any recommendations on best places to grab groceries and/or booze?

Great to hear my SLC talk has rubbed off on you. Just curious, are you actually staying in Park City or are you staying in SLC? I ask because if you are staying in Park City, it makes sense that you are skiing those two resorts, however, if you are staying in SLC, I probably would not recommend doing those two resorts. The reason I say that is because there is mostly 3 main regions of ski resorts over there around SLC. Region one is the two Park City resorts (Deer Valley and Park City), which are much more expensive, very similar to your usual big Colorado Resort, have relatively easier runs, and get significantly less snow than all the other Utah resorts. The second region is the little cottonwood canyon that contains both Snowbird and Alta, which are two of the most premier ski resorts in North America. Here, there are less crowds than Park City (Snowbird can get dicey), best snow in North America, decently cheaper than Park City, more serious skiers, but nothing by way of a ski town. People come here for one reason, awesome skiing. Lastly, the third area is the Big Cottonwood Canyon, which contains Brighton and Solitude, and is where you get the cheapest lift tickets, the smallest crowds, equally best snow in North America, greatest chance for untapped powder, but a little smaller and easier skiing than Alta and Snowbird. Therefore, Brighton and Solitude are kind of like Snowbird/Alta light, but with equivalently awesome snow. So, you've got 3 different areas, but you can't get to any of the different areas directly. You have to drive back into SLC to get to a different one. This is why I recommend staying in SLC, then choosing where you go each day, which is about a 25 minute drive to any of them. So, it kind of depends what you want. The Park City area is very much a Colorado Vail experience, whereas the Big/Little Cottonwood Canyons are very much a Utah experience. Personally, I prefer a little of both, but with a heavy dousing of the Cottonwood Canyons. Truly, Alta and Snowbird are two of the best resorts for pure skiiers in the country and Alta literally does not allow boarders (sorry boarders). One could argue you can't take a trip to Utah and NOT ski Snowbird. That would almost be a travesty.

As for booze, you may want to get that in SLC. The options are either drinking at bars/restaurants or getting booze only through the state-run liquor stores that is kind of like buying from a warehouse.

• Agree
Reactions: cuphues

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
I have skied more than half of the North America’s resorts with 2000 skiable acres or more. Here is my list taking all factors into consideration. My wife and I (I ski, she boards) spend 80% of my 6 weeks of annual vacation time in ski resorts every year.

#1 Telluride. Wins by an overwhelming margin. Most beautiful scenery, incredible terrain for all ability levels, great dining, fantastic boutique hotels, the best authentic victorian ski town nestled in a box canyon in SW Colorado's San Juan mountains. This resort is surrounded by more 14k peaks than any resort in North America, so the views are spectacular. Somewhat hard to get to, but this enhances the appeal in my opinion. Also, Summer is off the hook here as well. We intend to retire here in 8 years when I turn 60.

#2 Vail. Scale here is mind boggling. Used to be my favorite, but has now become overbuilt and too much like the Disneyland of ski resorts. If you have never been, its is still a must visit location for the experience alone. Great array of terrain, but the base village is overwhelming and beginning to lose its authentic feel.

#3 Park City Mountain. The new combined resort between Park City and the Canyons, including the new terrain is awesome. This mountain has something for everyone. Like it much better in its new configuration than when they were two separate resorts. Also the town of Park City is extremely cool.

#4 Snowbird. Awesome snow and terrain, but lacking any real base or mountain village. Totally a local commuter resort for the SLC folks, but amazing nonetheless. I would not recommend for families. Its a true ski enthusiast type of place.

#5 Whistler. Massive resort, very cool village at the base, incredible dining and hotel accommodations. The drive on the "Sea to ski highway" from Vancouver is breathtaking. Only knock on this place is the snow. They get lots of it, but it can be very heavy and wet. Last time we went upper third of mountain was a blizzard, middle third was heavy snow with crusty crap beneath and the bottom third of mountain it was sleeting. This would still not deter us from going back.

#6 Aspen. You have three resorts to pick from (Aspen, Highlands & Snowmass). Beautiful scenery and skiing, but the attitude here, along with the high cost keeps me from frequently going back. By far the most snobbish resort in North America.

#7 Deer Valley. Warning....Boarders not allowed. This used to be higher on my list, but since my wife quit skiing 4 years ago and only snowboards now, we can't ever go to this resort together. This is a groomers paradise, but still has plenty of challenging terrain if you know where to go. Also, on mountain dining is the best in North America.

#8 Alta. No Boarders allowed here as well. Very similar to Snowbird as they are right next to one another in Cottonwood Canyon on the Southeast side of the SLC metro area. Again more of a locals spot, but fantastic snow and amazing terrain for true ski enthusiasts.

#9 Beaver Creek. The overall experience is tremendous. Very high end everything. Will always be special to me as we got married there years ago during the summer. Still go back every three years or so and stay at the Ritz in Bachelor Gulch.

#10 Squaw Valley. Amazing terrain and snow. More geared toward ski enthusiasts versus families. Would actually recommend for families to go to NorthStar 20 minutes away and mix in a day or two of the trip at Squaw for some higher end skiing and terrain. This north Lake Tahoe area has a much better clientele than South Lake Tahoe (Heavenly & Kirkwood).

I do also have a short list of resorts that didn't make my list that i intend to visit over the next couple of years that will likely end up in my top ten. I simply have never been to these, hence why they didn't make my list.

1. Big Sky
2. Jackson Hole
3. Sun Valley
4. Mammoth

Last edited:

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
#1 Telluride. Wins by an overwhelming margin. Most beautiful scenery, incredible terrain for all ability levels, great dining, fantastic boutique hotels, the best authentic victorian ski town nestled in a box canyon in SW Colorado's San Juan mountains. This resort is surrounded by more 14k peeks than any resort in North America, so the views are spectacular. Somewhat hard to get to, but this enhances the appeal in my opinion. Also, Summer is off the hook here as well. We intend to retire here in 8 years when I turn 60.
Really good post, but I have to say I got a chuckle out of this part. It reads like you stole it right out of a brochure. You work in advertising? ;)

I've never been but my dad also has Telluride at the top of his list too.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I have skied more than half of the North America’s resorts with 2000 skiable acres or more. Here is my list taking all factors into consideration. My wife and I (I ski, she boards) spend 80% of my 6 weeks on annual vacation time in ski resorts every year.

#1 Telluride. Wins by an overwhelming margin. Most beautiful scenery, incredible terrain for all ability levels, great dining, fantastic boutique hotels, the best authentic victorian ski town nestled in a box canyon in SW Colorado's San Juan mountains. This resort is surrounded by more 14k peeks than any resort in North America, so the views are spectacular. Somewhat hard to get to, but this enhances the appeal in my opinion. Also, Summer is off the hook here as well. We intend to retire here in 8 years when I turn 60.

#2 Vail. Scale here is mind boggling. Used to be my favorite, but has now become overbuilt and too much like the Disneyland of ski resorts. If you have never been, its is still a must visit location for the experience alone. Great array of terrain, but the base village is overwhelming and beginning to lose its authentic feel.

#3 Park City Mountain. The new combined resort between Park City and the Canyons, including the new terrain is awesome. This mountain has something for everyone. Like it much better in its new configuration than when they were two separate resorts. Also the town of Park City is extremely cool.

#4 Snowbird. Awesome snow and terrain, but lacking any real base or mountain village. Totally a local commuter resort for the SLC folks, but amazing nonetheless. I would not recommend for families. Its a true ski enthusiast type of place.

#5 Whistler. Massive resort, very cool village at the base, incredible dining and hotel accommodations. The drive on the "Sea to ski highway" from Vancouver is breathtaking. Only knock on this place is the snow. They get lots of it, but it can be very heavy and wet. Last time we went upper third of mountain was a blizzard, middle third was heavy snow with crusty crap beneath and the bottom third of mountain it was sleeting. This would still not deter us from going back.

#6 Aspen. You have three resorts to pick from (Aspen, Highlands & Snowmass). Beautiful scenery and skiing, but the attitude here, along with the high cost keeps me from frequently going back. By far the most snobbish resort in North America.

#7 Deer Valley. Warning....Boarders not allowed. This used to be higher on my list, but since my wife quit skiing 4 years ago and only snowboards now, we can't ever go to this resort together. This is a groomers paradise, but still has plenty of challenging terrain if you know where to go. Also, on mountain dining is the best in North America.

#8 Alta. No Boarders allowed here as well. Very similar to Snowbird as they are right next to one another in Cottonwood Canyon on the Southeast side of the SLC metro area. Again more of a locals spot, but fantastic snow and amazing terrain for true ski enthusiasts.

#9 Beaver Creek. The overall experience is tremendous. Very high end everything. Will always be special to me as we got married there years ago during the summer. Still go back every three years or so and stay at the Ritz in Bachelor Gulch.

#10 Squaw Valley. Amazing terrain and snow. More geared toward ski enthusiasts versus families. Would actually recommend for families to go to NorthStar 20 minutes away and mix in a day or two of the trip at Squaw for some higher end skiing and terrain. This north Lake Tahoe area has a much better clientele than South Lake Tahoe (Heavenly & Kirkwood).

I do also have a short list of resorts that didn't make my list that i intend to visit over the next couple of years that will likely end up in my top ten. I simply have never been to these, hence why they didn't make my list.

1. Big Sky

100% agree! The price to ski up there is much cheaper than people would expect. It's a seven hr drive from PHX and we try to get up there every New Years. I can't wait another month. Get me there now!

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Really good post, but I have to say I got a chuckle out of this part. It reads like you stole it right out of a brochure. You work in advertising? ;)

I've never been but my dad also has Telluride at the top of his list too.

If you get the opportunity to go to Telluride, you will understand. The whole place is in fact stolen right out of a travel brochure. Freaking amazing.

For the record. I work in Medical Device.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
100% agree! The price to ski up there is much cheaper than people would expect. It's a seven hr drive from PHX and we try to get up there every New Years. I can't wait another month. Get me there now!

Yeah, we will be there this year for New Year’s as well. Have a condo rented through VRBO downtown. Little worried that the snow so far this year is way behind schedule, though. Probably will watch the Clones game (if we end up in the Liberty Bowl) at Smuggler’s Brew Pub. If we end up in the Camping World Bowl we are going to have to watch it from our hotel in Durango on the 28th as we are driving that day from Dallas. We arrive morning of the 29th, staying till January 3rd.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Yeah, we will be there this year for New Year’s as well. Have a condo rented through VRBO downtown. Little worried that the snow so far this year is way behind schedule, though. Probably will watch the Clones game (if we end up in the Liberty Bowl) at Smuggler’s Brew Pub. If we end up in the Camping World Bowl we are going to have to watch it from our hotel in Durango on the 28th as we are driving that day from Dallas. We arrive morning of the 29th, staying till January 3rd.

Yeah we usually rent through VRBO/AirBNB but we have a smaller group this year so finding the smaller options have been tough. A lot of hotels and smaller condos should open the blocks back up in the next day or two. Unfortunately if we don't find anything reasonable we may not end up going and spend the weekend in Flagstaff instead. Skiing isn't the worst there but it certainly isn't T-Ride.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Personally, I've got a couple ski trips planned right now for the year. First of all, in January, I'm taking a trip to Colorado with my wife where we honestly don't know where we'll be going yet for sure. We fly into Denver and might ski Beaver Creek. My second ski trip comes with my brother-in-law and friends in February to Whistler. Can't wait!!! We found a great deal for a hotel room about 200 meters from both the Blackcomb and Whistler lifts. Truthfully, I was amazed how cheap we all were able to get flights, the hotel, lift tickets, and a car for. By cheap, I mean borderline Utah cheap. I think the value of the US dollar really helped us along a bit as well. Colorado is getting a bit embarrassing when I can buy $92 lift tickets to Whistler/Blackcomb and Beaver Creek is asking $164/day from me, and that is by purchasing a 2-day pass. Screw Colorado. I'm simply going there with my wife since we found $120 round trip tickets, but once I factor in everything else, I'm not even saving any money.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Great to hear my SLC talk has rubbed off on you. Just curious, are you actually staying in Park City or are you staying in SLC? I ask because if you are staying in Park City, it makes sense that you are skiing those two resorts, however, if you are staying in SLC, I probably would not recommend doing those two resorts. The reason I say that is because there is mostly 3 main regions of ski resorts over there around SLC. Region one is the two Park City resorts (Deer Valley and Park City), which are much more expensive, very similar to your usual big Colorado Resort, have relatively easier runs, and get significantly less snow than all the other Utah resorts. The second region is the little cottonwood canyon that contains both Snowbird and Alta, which are two of the most premier ski resorts in North America. Here, there are less crowds than Park City (Snowbird can get dicey), best snow in North America, decently cheaper than Park City, more serious skiers, but nothing by way of a ski town. People come here for one reason, awesome skiing. Lastly, the third area is the Big Cottonwood Canyon, which contains Brighton and Solitude, and is where you get the cheapest lift tickets, the smallest crowds, equally best snow in North America, greatest chance for untapped powder, but a little smaller and easier skiing than Alta and Snowbird. Therefore, Brighton and Solitude are kind of like Snowbird/Alta light, but with equivalently awesome snow. So, you've got 3 different areas, but you can't get to any of the different areas directly. You have to drive back into SLC to get to a different one. This is why I recommend staying in SLC, then choosing where you go each day, which is about a 25 minute drive to any of them. So, it kind of depends what you want. The Park City area is very much a Colorado Vail experience, whereas the Big/Little Cottonwood Canyons are very much a Utah experience. Personally, I prefer a little of both, but with a heavy dousing of the Cottonwood Canyons. Truly, Alta and Snowbird are two of the best resorts for pure skiiers in the country and Alta literally does not allow boarders (sorry boarders). One could argue you can't take a trip to Utah and NOT ski Snowbird. That would almost be a travesty.

As for booze, you may want to get that in SLC. The options are either drinking at bars/restaurants or getting booze only through the state-run liquor stores that is kind of like buying from a warehouse.

I think the plan was to actually stay in Park City and do the resorts right there. We have a couple guys who are newer to skiing and want them to enjoy themselves. However, based on how many people have mentioned Snowbird and Alta, I could definitely see us going back next year to try those if all goes well this year. Thanks for all the tips, lots to think about. I've only gotten a flight booked to this point. Good to know prices won't be worse than what I'm used to with Vail, but to be honest I get out once a year so I'll spend what it takes to have a good time!

BeachCyclone

Jan 22, 2012
Manhattan Beach, CA
Sun Valley is my old-school favorite. Ketchum is an awesome ski and resort town and the views from Baldy are breathtaking. For those who may suffer from the effects of altitude, the base elevation of 5750 is significantly lower than most other major resorts. Although Sun Valley can be harder to get to than some other resorts (the airport is notorious for cancellations and diversions), any extra effort is well worth it.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
When I was in my 20s with young legs, the skiing I loved was totally different than what I love now at age 45. I lived in CO from ages 22-25 so I skiied nearly every inch of the hills and loved Vail, Steamboat, Copper, A-Basin, Telluride and Crested Butte. Did a few trips to Utah many moons ago and loved Alta and Deer Valley (too many catwalks at Park City for my taste).

Now that I have no interest in bumps, cliffs and deep powder any more, I love the big number of long groomers at Keystone. My wife and I bought a condo right at the base of the River Run gondola in Keystone and my season pass only cost $320 (which I will probably use 6-7 times) so the cost is pretty light.

Cant wait to get back on the hill next month!

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think the plan was to actually stay in Park City and do the resorts right there. We have a couple guys who are newer to skiing and want them to enjoy themselves. However, based on how many people have mentioned Snowbird and Alta, I could definitely see us going back next year to try those if all goes well this year. Thanks for all the tips, lots to think about. I've only gotten a flight booked to this point. Good to know prices won't be worse than what I'm used to with Vail, but to be honest I get out once a year so I'll spend what it takes to have a good time!

Based on your circumstances, it isn't bad what you did. Also, if you really value the ski town experience and amenities, you are at a great place. Park City is an awesome ski town. The Town Lift in particular is a beautiful run to make sure you do. With new skiiers too, it isn't a bad place to learn either, other than the fact that it is a very expensive hill to learn on. If you do end up wanting to venture out for a day, I've always thought Brighton would be my favorite, laid-back place to learn skiing at. Its layout of all its lifts kind of ending up at the same place favors that as well. Anyway, I hope you have lots of fun and I hope you end up with some good snow while you are there because that is the one area of Utah that is kind of iffy for snow, and not having snow there could really ruin things. Worst case scenario though is that there is no snow there and you just have to drive a little ways to one of the other places that pretty much always have good snow. Would love to hear your thoughts afterwards.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
When I was in my 20s with young legs, the skiing I loved was totally different than what I love now at age 45. I lived in CO from ages 22-25 so I skiied nearly every inch of the hills and loved Vail, Steamboat, Copper, A-Basin, Telluride and Crested Butte. Did a few trips to Utah many moons ago and loved Alta and Deer Valley (too many catwalks at Park City for my taste).

Now that I have no interest in bumps, cliffs and deep powder any more, I love the big number of long groomers at Keystone. My wife and I bought a condo right at the base of the River Run gondola in Keystone and my season pass only cost $320 (which I will probably use 6-7 times) so the cost is pretty light.

MJ4CY, randomfan44 brings up a great point. Hope nobody in your party is boarders as not only is boarders not allowed at Deer Valley, but Park City is maybe the worst catwalk town I've ever been to. Even as a skiier, the catwalks can get BRUTAL. Just remember, keep your speed at the end of every run pretty much as that will save you a lot of polling around.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Based on your circumstances, it isn't bad what you did. Also, if you really value the ski town experience and amenities, you are at a great place. Park City is an awesome ski town. With new skiiers too, it isn't a bad place to learn either, other than the fact that it is a very expensive hill to learn on. If you do end up wanting to venture out for a day, I've always thought Brighton would be my favorite, laid-back place to learn skiing at. Its layout of all its lifts kind of ending up at the same place favors that as well. Anyway, I hope you have lots of fun and I hope you end up with some good snow while you are there because that is the one area of Utah that is kind of iffy for snow, and not having snow there could really ruin things. Worst case scenario though is that there is no snow there and you just have to drive a little ways to one of the other places that pretty much always have good snow. Would love to hear your thoughts afterwards.

Yeah I can't wait. Only 95 days but who's counting.....

What is the best way to go about lift tickets for those places? I assume get them ahead of time?

Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Yeah I can't wait. Only 95 days but who's counting.....

What is the best way to go about lift tickets for those places? I assume get them ahead of time?

I'm not an expert on Deer Valley or Park City unfortunately. For all resorts outside of those two, both the easiest and cheapest route is pretty much the same, which is to just buy discounted lift tickets whenever you want at any ski rental shop throughout SLC. This is one thing that makes SLC great. We would sometimes choose the day-of which place we wanted to ski, pick up our tickets and go. As for Deer Valley, the shops may sell discounted tickets there or they may not. I'm not sure as I've never skiied it. Same goes for ski shops in the Park City area. Lastly, with Park City Mountain Resort, the big downfall there and also why it is so spendy is the fact that Vail owns it now. The good side of that is that it works there with EPIC passes, but the downside is they completely hose you over in buying single day passes. As with all Vail resorts, they make it so that you can only buy it directly through them too. I do think there is a little savings through them the further you buy the tickets out online, but even with that, I don't think it is a ton of savings.

For all the other resorts, here is the ski-shop discount pass prices:

https://www.skinsee.com/discount-lift-tickets

Every ski shop has pretty much the same discounted prices. If I were you, I'd just call one of the shops and ask about Deer Valley and how their tickets work.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

I'm in the same boat. 39 with 3 kids. I learned how to ski and grew up skiing at Keystone in the 80's and 90's. As I got older and a much improved skier I headed to anywhere but Keystone. Now that I'm almost 40 and teaching my kids to ski I realize how much I love the long runs at Keystone as well. If we are heading west it's the only place we go for now.

Our most frequent place to ski currently is Lutsen in Minnesota. Can get some good deals plus it's a shorter drive and friends from the twin cities come with their families.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
I'm not an expert on Deer Valley or Park City unfortunately. For all resorts outside of those two, both the easiest and cheapest route is pretty much the same, which is to just buy discounted lift tickets whenever you want at any ski rental shop throughout SLC. This is one thing that makes SLC great. We would sometimes choose the day-of which place we wanted to ski, pick up our tickets and go. As for Deer Valley, the shops may sell discounted tickets there or they may not. I'm not sure as I've never skiied it. Same goes for ski shops in the Park City area. Lastly, with Park City Mountain Resort, the big downfall there and also why it is so spendy is the fact that Vail owns it now. The good side of that is that it works there with EPIC passes, but the downside is they completely hose you over in buying single day passes. As with all Vail resorts, they make it so that you can only buy it directly through them too. I do think there is a little savings through them the further you buy the tickets out online, but even with that, I don't think it is a ton of savings.

For all the other resorts, here is the ski-shop discount pass prices:

https://www.skinsee.com/discount-lift-tickets

Every ski shop has pretty much the same discounted prices. If I were you, I'd just call one of the shops and ask about Deer Valley and how their tickets work.

You can also buy discounted tickets online at snow.com (the website for Vail Resorts)