Ranking Ski Resorts

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Good to know. Well then are we better off not making the drive and trying to stay and ski closer?

There is an airport you can fly into at Aspen. I'd imagine it's a couple hundred more than Denver, so just depends how bad you wanna try Aspen. Nice thing is there are 3 different resorts in Aspen.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
As a CO resident, I've been to a number of the resorts out here. Personally, I have a pass for Winter Park and Copper. They're cheaper and tend to have less people. Vail is great, but is overrun most of the time. Same with Breck. I noticed you asked about Telluride. They have some difficult terrain, but it's pretty awesome down there. They get a lot of snow usually. If you're down there I'd check out Wolf Creek too. They're known for their powder and its one of the few places that hasnt been bought by Vail Resorts.

If you get a chance, go to Crested Butte. There are rarely any lines, a lot of good runs, and the town itself it quite small and nice.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
There's only one worthy ski resort in my heart:

1216.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: cyclonedave25

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
If I went there, I'd definitely get a hotel there.

IME, the skiing isn't worth the cost. Of all of the well-known resorts, I would say that Aspen gets the least number of locals. It's the definition of tourist skiing. Vail is similar from a tourist standpoint but the terrain is worth it. Not the same case for Aspen.

• Informative
Reactions: Triggermv

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Dang you all, got me on ski fever again already. Yet I'm still 6 months out for when we're probably going.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
IME, the skiing isn't worth the cost. Of all of the well-known resorts, I would say that Aspen gets the least number of locals. It's the definition of tourist skiing. Vail is similar from a tourist standpoint but the terrain is worth it. Not the same case for Aspen.
I think Vail terrain is only worth it if there's fresh powder (unless you don't mind moguls). Otherwise, the back bowls get moguled out within a day or two and the number of long catwalks can be brutal.

DrT

Nov 17, 2012
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Mammoth is the best skiing/resort combo I have been to.

Aspen has multiple great hills.

Steamboat has the best people.

I was wondering if/when someone was going to mention OUR home mountain here in Mammoth CA! Everyone here has to admit it has the best snow almost all of the time (in CA) WITH some of the best runs of every type. My wife and I are ISU alums who have (for now) forsaken the flat lands of Cyclone country!

Go Cyclones!

• Useful
Reactions: pulse

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I was wondering if/when someone was going to mention OUR home mountain here in Mammoth CA! Everyone here has to admit it has the best snow almost all of the time (in CA) WITH some of the best runs of every type. My wife and I are ISU alums who have (for now) forsaken the flat lands of Cyclone country!

Go Cyclones!

You lucky SOB.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I've skied allot of major resorts, but am now getting a bit too old to double diamond it.

It's difficult to discern the difference between beauty and skiing. Shear beauty...
1. Val d'isere
2. Stubai
3. Whistler
4. Heavenly
5. Ajax
6. Vail
7. Telluride
8. Taos
9. Snowshoe (one of two 'inverted' slopes in the U.S.). I might be biased because as 'fate' would have it, this is in my backyard.
10. Mammoth

For skiing quality it's a different story. Simply because 'vistas' above tree line do not protect the integrity of the snow throughout the day (ie ice in the morning, slush in the afternoon).

1. Alta (and vicinity)
2. Snowmass (and vicinity)
3. Steamboat
4. Winter Park (and vicinity)
5. Vail (and vicinity)
6. Squaw
7. Alpine
8. Boyne Highlands
9. Breckenridge (and vicinity)
10. Heavenly

For accommodations
1. Aspen (and vicinity)
2. Vail (and vicinity)
3. Northstar
5. Whistler (and vicinity)
6. Heavenly
7. Innsbruck
8. Val d'isere/Tignes
9. Park City

Midwest (honestly, this may fall short as I just haven't skied too much in the midwest, despite being from there)
1. Alpine (WI)
2. Boyne Highlands
3. Boyne Mountain
4. Wilmot
5. Indianhead

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think Vail terrain is only worth it if there's fresh powder (unless you don't mind moguls). Otherwise, the back bowls get moguled out within a day or two and the number of long catwalks can be brutal.

If you get to the back bowls first thing, to me there is no better skiing. Especially if they groomed the night before and you get some fresh powder after. Carving up the runs without a tree in sight down into the ravine....if there is a heaven on earth, that's it for me. Also love getting lost in Outer Mongolia and you can get to the point where the only sounds you hear are nature and yourself. No other human noises.

• Agree
Reactions: Colorado

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I've skied allot of major resorts, but am now getting a bit too old to double diamond it.

It's difficult to discern the difference between beauty and skiing. Shear beauty...
1. Val d'isere
2. Stubai
3. Whistler
4. Heavenly
5. Ajax
6. Vail
7. Telluride
8. Taos
9. Snowshoe (one of two 'inverted' slopes in the U.S.). I might be biased because as 'fate' would have it, this is in my backyard.
10. Mammoth

For skiing quality it's a different story. Simply because 'vistas' above tree line do not protect the integrity of the snow throughout the day (ie ice in the morning, slush in the afternoon).

1. Alta (and vicinity)
3. Steamboat
5. Vail (and vicinity)
6. Squaw
7. Alpine
8. Boyne Highlands
10. Heavenly

For accommodations
1. Aspen (and vicinity)
2. Vail (and vicinity)
3. Northstar
5. Whistler (and vicinity)
6. Heavenly
7. Innsbruck
8. Val d'isere/Tignes
9. Park City

Midwest (honestly, this may fall short as I just haven't skied too much in the midwest, despite being from there)
1. Alpine (WI)
2. Boyne Highlands
3. Boyne Mountain
4. Wilmot
5. Indianhead

Yeah, Heavenly may lack a bit on the ski and snow quality, but its views are pretty spectacular, hence the name.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
mj4cy, you, like many other people in Iowa need to broaden your scope from just Colorado my friend. I make no bones about my love for Utah over Colorado in nearly all ways, shapes and forms. I recommend giving it a shot with your next ski trip. While Utah is a flight rather than a long car ride, Frontier flies there cheap out of Des Moines, and whatever extra you spend on flying rather than driving, you'll easily make up for in cheaper lift tickets, lodging, food, and headaches. With all that said, I haven't even mentioned how much better snow they get there too and how much greater chance you'll have of getting a fresh powder day.

The time has come my friend. Booked a flight to SLC with some guys for early March. Haven't nailed down a location exactly, but the group decided on doing Park City/Canyons (now merged I understand) for 2 days and then maybe Deer Valley. Looking forward to it!!

Any recommendations on best places to grab groceries and/or booze?

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
The time has come my friend. Booked a flight to SLC with some guys for early March. Haven't nailed down a location exactly, but the group decided on doing Park City/Canyons (now merged I understand) for 2 days and then maybe Deer Valley. Looking forward to it!!

Any recommendations on best places to grab groceries and/or booze?

I'll be in SLC with a group the 2nd week of February; we went last year and enjoyed it so much we are coming straight back. This year we're doing 2 days at Snowbird and then Park City for more of a relaxing day to finish the trip.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA

1. Alta (and vicinity)
3. Steamboat
5. Vail (and vicinity)
6. Squaw
7. Alpine
8. Boyne Highlands
10. Heavenly
Agree with Steamboat and Winter Park up there. I'd personally put Copper above Breck, but maybe I'm just weird. However, Breckenridge is one of the better ski towns IMO.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron