Ranking Ski Resorts

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Rockies. Dollar goes further the closer you stay to Denver since several already live there and can/could drive.

Flight areas that have been thrown out are Jackson Hole and the SLC area resorts.

Your timing is real rough as both the Ikon and Epic multi-day passes, where you by far save the most money, just became unavailable for the year. If you are wanting to ski a bigger resort, what this means is that you are at the mercy of buying day or multi-day passes for each individual resort for very high prices, likely $150+/day, unless you can snag some Epic buddy passes off of somebody. Even those are pricey though. However, if you are good skiing some smaller resorts in Colorado, which still can be good and fun, I believe you can still buy a Gems card for like $42.

Once you buy the card and it gets mailed to you, it gets you either buy one get one free or 30% off a single lift ticket at a bunch of smaller resorts like A-Basin, Monarch, Ski Cooper, Eldora, Loveland, Powderhorn, Grandby Ranch, Echo and Sunlight. I think you can use the discount twice at each per card. My favorite resort on that list is by far A-Basin, which has some excellent terrain, especially if you are a good skier. The crowds are low and the vibe is as good as it gets there too. I've done a really fun trip before where we skied both A-Basin and Loveland, which made for a great affordable trip. Just be prepared that both are very high altitude and with a lot of their terrain above treelines, it can get quite cold. However, both give you the feel of skiing on the top of the world, which they pretty much both are. At Loveland, you are literally skiing the Continental Divide. If you go on weekdays, you can also get by staying on the edge of Denver for cheap and driving up for the day beings how they are two of the closest resorts to Denver. The biggest downfall of both resorts is A-Basin has one speed lift and Loveland has zero.

In future years, I recommend planning further ahead and buying multi-day either Epic or Ikon passes where prices are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to the tune of something like $80-$130/day. It really is the only way to go anymore. The major resorts are all trying to push everyone this direction and they are doing it with pricing.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
*We are a bunch of moderate skiers. No moguls or terrain parks needed

I'd still look to my option above for A-Basin and Loveland for moderate skiers, especially if you don't want to break the bank. If you are okay spending more on lift tickets as a moderate skier, it is tough to beat Beaver Creek. To me, it is the king of blue cruisers and the place rarely ever has a lift line, even on the weekends, due to it being the furthest of the Summit County grouping from Denver. Most pass people stop at Vail to make it crazy busy rather than go a bit further to Beaver Creek. You can also stay pretty reasonably in the cheaper Avon, which saves you some on lodging too to offset the high lift tickets. Beaver Creek is posh too if you like that.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cyfan92

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
I'd still look to my option above for A-Basin and Loveland for moderate skiers, especially if you don't want to break the bank. If you are okay spending more on lift tickets as a moderate skier, it is tough to beat Beaver Creek. To me, it is the king of blue cruisers and the place rarely ever has a lift line, even on the weekends, due to it being the furthest of the Summit County grouping from Denver. Most pass people stop at Vail to make it crazy busy rather than go a bit further to Beaver Creek. You can also stay pretty reasonably in the cheaper Avon, which saves you some on lodging too to offset the high lift tickets. Beaver Pcreek is posh too if you like that.

Since we would be driving from Denver, Avon appears to be a good idea to off set the Beaver Creek cost increases.

Blue cruisers sounds right up our alley, thanks! Any spots away from CO to recommend if we want to fly?

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Best area for an early March weekend trip with the boys? All have moderate to decent incomes, so nothing that we need to refi the house on to have a good time. More of a brewpub crowd that loves good food over a night club crowd.

Would love opinions and shared experiences.
If you’re talking Colorado and want to be closer to the mountain and the town I’d suggest Breck, Steamboat, or Crested Butte.

Winter Park is nice but a bit of a ways from town. Copper is good skiing but again a few miles from Frisco/Dillon.

cyclonesurveyor

Jan 26, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
If you’re talking Colorado and want to be closer to the mountain and the town I’d suggest Breck, Steamboat, or Crested Butte.

Winter Park is nice but a bit of a ways from town. Copper is good skiing but again a few miles from Frisco/Dillon.
Both WP and Copper have free busses that are pretty easy to use.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron