Ranking Ski Resorts

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Keystone is one of my least favorites because of terrain, and Breckenridge because it is so busy.

For terrain, Vail is awesome. Winter Park/Mary Jane is very nice and the crowds are reasonable. Interesting, if you want a challenge nothing much compares to Mary Jane. Beaver Creek is great because the crowds are small. Steamboat has a lot to offer and the crowds are small as well. I mostly try to go anywhere but Summit County. Never skied in Utah, but here it is great, inexpensive, and the weather is mild.

WOLF CREEK, WP, STEAMBOAT in CO FTW. Summit County is a rat race hell. I would only ski the pass in SC.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Semi-related, but we'll be going to Copper Mountain and Beaver Creek for our first time this year in a couple weeks.

Any tips on either place? Must-do runs? Parking secrets?

As for my ski level, I'm a confident blue skier who will do blacks but avoid double blacks and moguls where possible.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Semi-related, but we'll be going to Copper Mountain and Beaver Creek for our first time this year in a couple weeks.

Any tips on either place? Must-do runs? Parking secrets?

As for my ski level, I'm a confident blue skier who will do blacks but avoid double blacks and moguls where possible.

Don't have any advice on Beaver Creek as I haven't been there. However, with Copper Mountain, I've got advice. First of all, USE COUPONS there. You can either get them at Gas Stations/Grocery stores in Denver or I think there is booklets you can buy (not sure where) OR, what I do is usually just buy them on Ebay for a small amount.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ns.TRS0&_nkw=copper+mountain+coupons&_sacat=0

As for skiing Copper, the resort is known for its segregated areas where the right side of the mountain is mostly greens, the middle mostly blues and the left mostly blacks. This makes it really easy for new people to know where to go. A couple other things to keep in mind is that the top lifts of the mountain are above the treeline and can get REALLY snowy and windy up there, so beware depending on conditions. With that said, one of those lifts is Storm King, which I remember as actually being a T-Bar, so if you haven't experienced one of those, there you go. Again, it will be like taking a single t-bar through a frozen tundra usually though :). Also, if you want more of a challenge, Copper does have a couple good back bowls with one where you can take a free snowcat over to go down more remote areas (only place I know of that has a free snowcat available, which is cool). However, the snowcat area will be all expert terrain. Lastly, as for parking, I don't remember it being too bad in comparison to other Colorado resorts. Just make sure you get there early to avoid a longer walk.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mj4cy

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Jackson Hole is near the top of any list. I just got back from Utah (been there quite a few times). Deer Valley is great, but yes no boards, same could be said for Alta though. Snowbird is fun, but don't go on weekends.

Vail bought Park City and Canyons and mergerd them. It's so ridiculously spread out that you still only need to ski one side in a day.

I'm loath to mention it since it's a best kept secret but Snowbasin rules.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Jackson Hole is near the top of any list. I just got back from Utah (been there quite a few times). Deer Valley is great, but yes no boards, same could be said for Alta though. Snowbird is fun, but don't go on weekends.

Vail bought Park City and Canyons and mergerd them. It's so ridiculously spread out that you still only need to ski one side in a day.

I'm loath to mention it since it's a best kept secret but Snowbasin rules.

Yeah, both Park City and Canyons were monstrous resorts in and of themselves before they merged. I can't even imagine skiing the monstrosity all together. In fact, when I skied to old Park City, I tried really hard to ski it completely out in a day, but failed. Therefore, with the combined resort, I'd say you could easily ski 3 full days there and not really have to repeat many runs. Therefore, for a ski-in ski-out place, it would be a good option for people not wanting to get bored with skiing one place.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
FYI... for those considering Utah. While Snowbird is amazing, it isn't for the faint of heart or beginner. Shoot, if you take the tram and get off, your options are pretty much double-black, double-black or double-black. Most everything is steep, and that might be an understatement. There is still a few beginner runs, but not many. For beginners, I'd strongly consider skiing Brighton or Solitude if you want cheap, or Park City, if price isn't a problem. Personally, if I was bringing my kids to teach them to ski, I'd definitely start them at Brighton.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
FYI... for those considering Utah. While Snowbird is amazing, it isn't for the faint of heart or beginner. Shoot, if you take the tram and get off, your options are pretty much double-black, double-black or double-black. Most everything is steep, and that might be an understatement. There is still a few beginner runs, but not many. For beginners, I'd strongly consider skiing Brighton or Solitude if you want cheap, or Park City, if price isn't a problem. Personally, if I was bringing my kids to teach them to ski, I'd definitely start them at Brighton.
Good info on Utah, would like to get out there sometime soon.

As far as your original post, you have me somewhat worried I missed something really good about Keystone. I thought it was alright, probably on par with Breck, but I've really enjoyed Copper or WP much more. I'd personally probably go to A-Basin again over Keystone, since I usually stay in Frisco and the ski towns are not as important to me. Now I'm thinking I need to try Keystone some more as I only went for a day along with some night skiing.

As someone else mentioned, I would definitely try Steamboat as well. Really enjoyed the mountain and town, enough that I thought it was worth the extra time to get out there.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Ha ha yeah it's pretty obvious just looking at Snowbird how steep it is. I can't imagine a novice even wanting to get on the tram. BTW if you want to save a few bucks, The Powder House near the entrance to Big Cottonwood Canyon has discounted tickets for the 4 resorts down there.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Ha ha yeah it's pretty obvious just looking at Snowbird how steep it is. I can't imagine a novice even wanting to get on the tram. BTW if you want to save a few bucks, The Powder House near the entrance to Big Cottonwood Canyon has discounted tickets for the 4 resorts down there.

For sure, if you want to wet your pants a bit, just take a look at a Snowbird trail map online or simply just drive by it. As for the discounted lift tickets, every ski rental place in SLC sells the discounted tickets. That is the best way to get them too.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
WOLF CREEK, WP, STEAMBOAT in CO FTW. Summit County is a rat race hell. I would only ski the pass in SC.

Wolf Creek is great. I just went there for the first time. Kind of curious how it compares to some of the Utah resorts having never been there. I'm a fan of the hot springs in Pagosa as well.

I'm going to Crested Butte for the first time in two weeks. Other than maybe a trip or two to WP or Monarch that might be it for me this year.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I was at Snowbird a few weeks ago, spent most of our time in Mineral Basin. Kind of icy, but still a good time.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I do have a buddy skiing Taos as we speak. I'll be interested to see what he says about New Mexico skiing. I've never done it, but have heard some good stuff about Taos.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I was at Snowbird a few weeks ago, spent most of our time in Mineral Basin. Kind of icy, but still a good time.

We spent some good time in Mineral Basin as well when we were there last week. We had some pretty decent fresh powder, so it was pretty spectacular. That back bowl is difficult skiing, but nothing too crazy hard at all, which can be fun. Utah in general just doesn't have all the back bowls that Colorado resorts provide, but Mineral Basis at Snowbird is about as close as Utah gets to providing one. Most resorts in Utah are just front-side skiing. That doesn't mean there isn't some bowl-type skiing on those front sides at all, because there is still some decent ones, particularly at Snowbird and Alta.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Yeesh, get of your high horse.
Just took another trip to Utah where I hit up Alta again, and then finally hit up both Snowbird and Solitude as well, which were new ones for me. With that said, I thought I might drag out this old thread again to update my rankings for anyone interest. Spoiler alert: Snowbird and Solitude were pretty amazing. I see why they get ranked so high, especially Snowbird.

1. Snowbird (Utah) - 4-way tie for best snow, Best Terrain, Steepest terrain, Best for expert skiers, best views by far (amazing), good lifts with a tram, fun tunnel to backside, crowds can get bad
2. Alta (Utah) - 4-way tie for best snow, 2nd best terrain (fairly extreme terrain), Good for Expert Skiers (hard terrain, but a little lighter than Snowbird), Best Value, No boarders allowed
3. Solitude (Utah) - 4-way tie for best snow, Awesome terrain, highest chance of getting untouched terrain, 2nd Smallest Lines, Best tree Runs, Too Many Slow Lifts, 2nd Best Value, Similar to Brighton, only a little bigger, and a little more challenging
4.. Keystone (Colorado) - 2nd Best Tree Runs, Best Lifts, Best Night Skiing, Fun Snowcat Skiing
5. Vail (Colorado) - 2nd Biggest Resort, Nicest Resort, Great Runs, Best Back Bowls, One of the Best Ski Towns, Too Many Catwalks
6. Brighton (Utah) - Very Simple and Laid Back (I like), 4-way tie for Best Snow, Great Tree Runs, Smallest Lines, 3nd Best Value, Best Place to Take Young Family For Value Skiing
5. Kirkwood - (California) - Almost an exact blend of Alta and Brighton, only with not as good and consistent of snow and too many slow lifts, 3nd Smallest Lines, 4th Best Value, Very Laid-Back, Fairly Challenging Terrain, Worst Lifts
6. Heavenly - (California) - 3nd Best Views (mostly due to the lake), 2nd Nicest Resort, One of Best Ski Towns, 2nd Largest Resort, Great Runs, Great Lifts, Good Tree Runs, Best for Skiing in T-Shirt, Worst Consistent Snow
7. Copper Mountain (Colorado) - 4th Best Value (best in Colorado, especially when using coupons), Nice Runs Overall, Smaller Lift Lines, Free Snowcat Skiing, More Laid-Back
8. Park City Mountain Resort (Utah) - Biggest Resort Now That Combined With Canyons (I skied it prior to being combined) Coolest Town Setting, 3rd Nicest Resort, Great Lifts, So-So Views, Decent Snow
9. Breckenridge (Colorado) - Decent Overall, Very Busy, Too Many Boarders, Good Lifts, Cool Ski Town
10. Sunrise Park (Arizona) - Fun Place, Not Colorado or Utah, Still Lots Better Than Iowa
11. Chestnut Mountain (Illinois) - I Like the Runs, Resort Area, and Views Better than Sundown, Little further drive than Sundown, Underrated for being in Midwest
12. Sundown (Iowa) - Closest Ski Resort, Best in Iowa, Rentals are terrible and the place is kind of a dump, but decent runs for Iowa

Again, from a comparison to expert's rankings, I always like to see how my thoughts compare to this particular website, which is the best at measuring all the factors out to come out with an overall ranking.

https://www.zrankings.com/

snowboarders.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: pulse

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Wolf Creek is great. I just went there for the first time. Kind of curious how it compares to some of the Utah resorts having never been there. I'm a fan of the hot springs in Pagosa as well.

I'm going to Crested Butte for the first time in two weeks. Other than maybe a trip or two to WP or Monarch that might be it for me this year.

Same in terms of terrain, snowfall and snow quality. Much smaller size-wise.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Good info on Utah, would like to get out there sometime soon.

As far as your original post, you have me somewhat worried I missed something really good about Keystone. I thought it was alright, probably on par with Breck, but I've really enjoyed Copper or WP much more. I'd personally probably go to A-Basin again over Keystone, since I usually stay in Frisco and the ski towns are not as important to me. Now I'm thinking I need to try Keystone some more as I only went for a day along with some night skiing.

As someone else mentioned, I would definitely try Steamboat as well. Really enjoyed the mountain and town, enough that I thought it was worth the extra time to get out there.

I'll be the first to admit that my Keystone love is probably a little too strong and a bit biased based on what it actually it. However, that is fine. I still stand by it.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Been to all of them, plus Whistler, Val d'isere, Tignes, Innsbruck. I lock the Rockies and Sierras to a lesser extent because the trees create for more consistent snow throughout the day. Of course, nothing beats the views of France.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
What's your favorite place in France? I debated going there this spring.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Been to all of them, plus Whistler, Val d'isere, Tignes, Innsbruck. I lock the Rockies and Sierras to a lesser extent because the trees create for more consistent snow throughout the day. Of course, nothing beats the views of France.

I personally don't mind the consistent snow throughout the day. In fact, I like it, as long as visibility doesn't get too poor. The trees also keep the wind more tame, which can be crucial.

Last edited: