Raccoon River Brewing (DSM) closing

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I always really enjoyed it. Was a great place to start a night with dinner before heading to court ave

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It was a cool place, but the beer just didn't measure up. Kinda surprised it made it that long, although they never seemed to be lacking in business.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Food and wait staff were terrible. Good riddance.

Maybe Django's will get the hint, too.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
http://www.kcci.com/news/popular-do...CI - kcci8&Content Type=Story&linkId=12277926

I always thought it was a great space but that the food and beer never met it. Sounds like it'll turn into a housing unit.

The upper floors of the building are currently commercial/office space. I believe those will be converted to housing. I don't think it is clear what will be done with this particular space. It is street level in an area of town this is doing pretty well with the addition of the Des Moines Social Club nearby. Doesn't make sense to loose this as commercial/retail space IMO>

Anyway, this is a shame. Great space by like others have mentioned, never rose near the top as one of the better local microbreweries.

Cycopath

Apr 14, 2014
Des Moines
I really loved this place. had good beer and food. Sucks that it is becoming housing, that is the last thing downtown des moines needs. Getting rid of an established popular business for potentially "low-income" housing. People who live downtown under the low income umbrella all exaggerate how poor they actually are to get a better rate.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
Food and wait staff were terrible. Good riddance.

Maybe Django's will get the hint, too.

Don't think I've ever heard a bad comment about Django. Good food, good drinks, good happy hour deals. Curious what you don't like about the place.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Our Christmas party was there. Glad we got there before it closed.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If you ever had an actual meal off the menu and not just their pub food like the appetizers it was pretty decent. The beer was just meh but was a nice spot to hit after work with some coworkers when I worked downtown. I'm sure Exile has really taken a bite out of their business since they are just a few blocks away.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I really loved this place. had good beer and food. Sucks that it is becoming housing, that is the last thing downtown des moines needs. Getting rid of an established popular business for potentially "low-income" housing. People who live downtown under the low income umbrella all exaggerate how poor they actually are to get a better rate.

You need to re-read the Register article. There is no stated plans for the space, but the new owners bought all the restaurant and brewery equipment. Pretty sure they didn't do that to put into loft apartments. The upper floors will be housing for sure...and there is no mention of these being income restricted vs market rate. Most of the current housing going up in downtown at the present time is "market rate" with only some income restricted, so I'm not sure it makes sense to assume either way on this one.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Help Support Us

Become a patron