Post-game TCU celebration thread

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I pretty much only see positives coming out of it:

A) We've been reminded that Breece is probably our best player and needs to get constant touches.
B) O-line improved
C) Brock made a bad play but I'm guessing it won't happen again. Get that out of your system in a win.
D) We won

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
2 bad snaps won us the game
we were getting lit up in the second half and we still only rushed 3 guys
look at the second half stats

it’s mind boggling we don’t bring more guys when we have good talent on the DL

Our 3 man rush was freakin golden on Saturday. We weren't getting "lit up" in the second half, our safeties just blew coverage a couple of times that resulted in huge plays. That is 100% correctable which is a huge positive. Bringing pressure doesn't solve that. The 3 man rush also helped keep both TCU QB's contained for the most part which is great because they can both kill you with their legs.

psychlones

Jun 13, 2006
Ames, IA
This is going to sound like I'm being negative, but I'm just trying to explain why I'm so happy to be 1-0 in conference, no matter how we got there.

Going back to the 2003 season we have been 1-16 in conference openers, only starting 1-0 in conference in 2015 when we opened conference play with Kansas at home.

In 2002 we started the conference season 3-0. No mention of game 4 will be allowed.

To find the next season before 2002 where we started the conference BETTER than 1-0, I had to go back to 1983.

So literally once in the previous 36 seasons have we started better than 1-0 in conference. It will be tough to get there this year with Oklahoma next week, but the opportunity is there. And starting 1-0 is far better than our "normal" conference start already. Not a great stat, but still better than the alternative!

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Still hate our "fair catch" strategy on punt returns. We block no one, which usually results in about a half dozen opponents standing a yard away while our player catches it. Any bobble is almost guaranteed to be a turnover. We also give up the chance at a big play and an average of 5 to 10 return yards.
THIS.
Still hate our "fair catch" strategy on punt returns. We block no one, which usually results in about a half dozen opponents standing a yard away while our player catches it. Any bobble is almost guaranteed to be a turnover. We also give up the chance at a big play and an average of 5 to 10 return yards.

THIS.
You guys do realize that if they try to take the ball away on "any bobble" they will get flagged, don't you? Fair catch protection stays intact until the ball hits the ground so you can bobble it several times and still make a protected catch as long as it doesn't touch the ground.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
You guys do realize that if they try to take the ball away on "any bobble" they will get flagged, don't you? Fair catch protection stays intact until the ball hits the ground so you can bobble it several times and still make a protected catch as long as it doesn't touch the ground.

I do, What I really mean is a drop. Once it hits the ground odds are not in our favor.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Our 3 man rush was freakin golden on Saturday. We weren't getting "lit up" in the second half, our safeties just blew coverage a couple of times that resulted in huge plays. That is 100% correctable which is a huge positive. Bringing pressure doesn't solve that. The 3 man rush also helped keep both TCU QB's contained for the most part which is great because they can both kill you with their legs.
People also forget that sending another rush means we're pulling away coverage from somewhere else. They're already worried about our DBs not keeping assignments...so they want to remove another DB or LB and hope they do a better job with less personnel? Doesn't add up.

The 3 front is working perfect right now. It's mainly the secondary that isn't, and that's correctable. We know our defense is difficult to learn and pick up pace to, that's why it's so damn good when it's learned and ready.

Our offense still needs the majority of tweaking. If we aren't generating turnovers (which we did SAT), we gotta keep the O on the field and in control. Gotta cut out 3 and outs, midfield stall/punting, stuff like that will go a long way towards wins. Much farther and faster than defensive changes will.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I also support staying with the 3 man rush. As you point out, there are some things to tighten up and the staff will keep working on those issues in the available Covid challenged practice time. This is not the year to try to get everyone proficient on different defensive schemes. Focus on what you do best and keep getting better at it. The TD that we gave up when Rose came as the 4th rusher didn’t go very well. If it truly worked to bring 4 more often, it would be called on a regular basis. It works best when the offense least expects it.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
both teams were kicking it out of the end zone when kicking right to left. Neither team was getting it to the end zone when kicking left to right. I wasn’t there, but I’m assuming that’s a wind thing, not a strategy thing.

Yes, the announcers said it was a strong wind, I think the coaches would love it if we could kick it out of the end zone every time.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
), we gotta keep the O on the field and in control. Gotta cut out 3 and outs, midfield stall/punting, stuff like that will go a long way towards wins. Much farther and faster than defensive changes will.
This right here. Louisiana game was still in the balance late in Q3 and could have been pulled out of the fire if the O could have put together a sustained drive and re-taken control of that game. A couple of times on Saturday, TCU was very close to being done when ISU was up two scores. But the offense couldn't stay on the field and TCU kept climbing back in. Taking the next step involves executing the four minute offense. Based on glimmers of hope from the O line from Saturday and the fact ISU has an all conference back, I think there's a chance to get there.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Anyone who watched the game knows that there could easily have been a three TD swing in ISU's favor.

1. TCUs first score - Rose was 1/100th of a second late to stop that pass.
2. Brock's whateverthef@ck that was.
3. TCU scored with :00
Honorable mention - Assalley's PAT miss was due to a bad snap iirc, not bad kicking.

I feel really good about the rust getting knocked off at this point. And in this weird COVID season I feel really good about our chances against anyone in the league. Normally I'd hate OU coming to town after a loss but for OU it's championship or bust. They could feel like bagging this asterisk of a season now. And if not, there's still a lot more pressure on them than us.
. . . which rather ignores the "could easily have been a three TD swing" from the TCU side of this:
1. ISU's lucky 75 yard run for a TD. One barely missed tackle. ISU wasn't doing anything before that.
2. ISU's lucky 49 yard run for a TD. 2 barely missed tackles. ISU couldn't run the ball for more than a couple yards per rush excluding those 2 runs.
3. A pinky away from returning a punt for a TD.
4. If only TCU would have double teamed Bailey from the beginning of the game instead of waiting until the 2nd half.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
. . . which rather ignores the "could easily have been a three TD swing" from the TCU side of this:
1. ISU's lucky 75 yard run for a TD. One barely missed tackle. ISU wasn't doing anything before that.
2. ISU's lucky 49 yard run for a TD. 2 barely missed tackles. ISU couldn't run the ball for more than a couple yards per rush excluding those 2 runs.
4. If only TCU would have double teamed Bailey from the beginning of the game instead of waiting until the 2nd half.
This was a dumb post. You should reconsider before you post something like this again.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
People also forget that sending another rush means we're pulling away coverage from somewhere else. They're already worried about our DBs not keeping assignments...so they want to remove another DB or LB and hope they do a better job with less personnel? Doesn't add up.
. . .
I don't think ISU had this problem against TCU -- but certainly in the past the 3 man rush sometimes (often?) allowed too much time for the receivers and QB to scramble around and eventually complete a pass. The primary advantage I see with a 4 man rush is to hopefully reduce the time dramatically that the secondary needs to cover the receivers. Meaning they would only have to cover the routes run by the receivers and not when the receivers scramble-to-get-open-after-the-route-is-finished-because-the-QB-is-still-able-to-throw-the-ball-if-I-can-get-open-anywhere.
. . . and a secondary advantage is better QB containment. Once again, I don't think this was a problem against TCU -- but in the past a mobile QB could shred ISU by running the ball against a 3 man pass rush.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I don't think ISU had this problem against TCU -- but certainly in the past the 3 man rush sometimes (often?) allowed too much time for the receivers and QB to scramble around and eventually complete a pass. The primary advantage I see with a 4 man rush is to hopefully reduce the time dramatically that the secondary needs to cover the receivers. Meaning they would only have to cover the routes run by the receivers and not when the receivers scramble-to-get-open-after-the-route-is-finished-because-the-QB-is-still-able-to-throw-the-ball-if-I-can-get-open-anywhere.
. . . and a secondary advantage is better QB containment. Once again, I don't think this was a problem against TCU -- but in the past a mobile QB could shred ISU by running the ball against a 3 man pass rush.
TCU game didn't have this problem? We gave up at least 2 major plays over the middle of the field by missed coverages.

Meanwhile, we recorded like 6 sacks against 2 QBs who, while not Russell Wilson out there, weren't exactly statues either.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
You're exactly right, I did ignore these points. But not to obfuscate... I was simply expounding on what a gift Brock's whateverthatwas was and other items like it. obviously they happen on both sides of the ball in every game.

• Friendly
Reactions: TedKumsher

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Is Will McDonald the best pass rusher ISU has ever had, when you factor in how many snaps he has taken for Iowa State?

It seems like he lives in the backfield when the tackle isn't holding him

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

So playing football is considered lucky now?

Are we supposed to hope the other team does a good job of stopping ISU's strengths?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Is Will McDonald the best pass rusher ISU has ever had, when you factor in how many snaps he has taken for Iowa State?

It seems like he lives in the backfield when the tackle isn't holding him
Most of our DL Saturday spent excess time in the backfield. They're a pretty insane unit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron