Post-game TCU celebration thread

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This offense is having its struggles even though we averaged 8.3 ypc and scored 38 points. For instance our running game was all or nothing. We had 4 runs for 175 yards. The other 24 carries were for 38 yards. Gotta like the the big plays, but averaging 1.5 ypc on 80% of our carries is an issue.

On defense, we played pretty well but we are having big time issues in the deep middle. Just too many big plays between the hashes the first two games.

I have harped on it before, but IMO we should be playing a lot more 4-2-5 defense. It's misleading to say we are getting enough QB pressures based on 6 sacks. When we didn't get sacks, the TCU QB's felt little pressure. There are way too many passing lanes when only 3 DL rush. It also makes it easy for the QB to move around the pocket, when 2 of the DL get in the same area. Sure we can blitz- but I would rather have a big bodied DL bring pressure than a LB or DB.
:rolleyes:
Gosh, I can’t imagine why our running game might struggle at times, when we’re missing at least two, probably three of the expected starters.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The only thing that really bothered me about today was the poor passing game still and conservative play calling.

Like someone had mentioned at the time.... on that 3rd down play in the 4th qtr where we ran the play, but it didn't count because CMC had called a timeout.... then we came out of the timeout and ran a simple handoff up the middle to Hall on 3rd and 5 and lost 3 yds.... that could have cost us the game had Rose not come up with a huge INT.

I absolutely hate that conservative BS play calling. That is playing to lose.... not to win.

I don’t know whether I’m taking something someone said sarcastically too seriously or not, but someone earlier said that TCU has one of the best pass defenses in America. If that’s the case, then yeah, the passing game was never going to look great today. That being said, Purdy didn’t look good again today. Missing receivers, throwing into coverage, making bad decisions. And that INT was the most whiskey tango foxtrot thing I’ve ever seen. Hopefully that had to do more with who we played and less that Purdy has regressed that much.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I thought the receiving group improve a lot over game 1. I don’t recall any drops. We still need to improve, but getting Milton and Kolar back to 100% will help. Kolar didn’t look 100% yet, but hopefully another week will help.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
This offense is having its struggles even though we averaged 8.3 ypc and scored 38 points. For instance our running game was all or nothing. We had 4 runs for 175 yards. The other 24 carries were for 38 yards. Gotta like the the big plays, but averaging 1.5 ypc on 80% of our carries is an issue.

On defense, we played pretty well but we are having big time issues in the deep middle. Just too many big plays between the hashes the first two games.

I have harped on it before, but IMO we should be playing a lot more 4-2-5 defense. It's misleading to say we are getting enough QB pressures based on 6 sacks. When we didn't get sacks, the TCU QB's felt little pressure. There are way too many passing lanes when only 3 DL rush. It also makes it easy for the QB to move around the pocket, when 2 of the DL get in the same area. Sure we can blitz- but I would rather have a big bodied DL bring pressure than a LB or DB.

Ummm,

So it would have been better if Hall had stopped and kneeled 10 yds into the run so we could show more consistency?

You do realize when we hit a big play, the opportunity to have additional shorter plays evaporates?

Hardly a picture perfect day but I am going to roll with the win and say that having patience paid off today allowing the big plays to happen. I will take some numbers next week please.

Just for giggles, anyone know what % of ISU games historically we have even had 175 yards rushing?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Any win is good.

I couldn't watch but it sounded like an ISU-style win...looks decent sometimes. and at other times it's one big WTF moment after the next whether it's throwing the ball backward while being sacked or not sticking with what's there, and in the end you're just hoping for that clock to get to zero before something really bad happens.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Ummm,

So it would have been better if Hall had stopped and kneeled 10 yds into the run so we could show more consistency?

You do realize when we hit a big play, the opportunity to have additional shorter plays evaporates?

Hardly a picture perfect day but I am going to roll with the win and say that having patience paid off today allowing the big plays to happen. I will take some numbers next week please.

Just for giggles, anyone know what % of ISU games historically we have even had 175 yards rushing?

No. It means our running game has a long ways to go. It does not allow us to sustain long drives and give our defense much needed rest...

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I don’t know whether I’m taking something someone said sarcastically too seriously or not, but someone earlier said that TCU has one of the best pass defenses in America. If that’s the case, then yeah, the passing game was never going to look great today. That being said, Purdy didn’t look good again today. Missing receivers, throwing into coverage, making bad decisions. And that INT was the most whiskey tango foxtrot thing I’ve ever seen. Hopefully that had to do more with who we played and less that Purdy has regressed that much.

They have some dudes back there. I was really impressed with how well they covered and tackled.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
"That being said, Purdy didn’t look good again today. Missing receivers, throwing into coverage, making bad decisions. "

18-22, 1 TD, 0 INT, 82% completion rate

4 misses. WTH do you want? Perfection? Or the most popular player on the team, the 2nd team QB.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
"That being said, Purdy didn’t look good again today. Missing receivers, throwing into coverage, making bad decisions. "

4 misses. WTH do you want? Perfection? Or the most popular player on the team, the 2nd team QB.

I'd like for the guy not to throw directly at a defensive player trying to avoid a sack he should have eaten, and had the defender dropped it it still would have been a fumble as it was a backwards pass. That was a bad decision that is inexcusable, so quit trying to defend it.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

TCU was loading the box all game. That means you're going to have a lot of running plays get stuffed for little or no gain. That also means that if the running back gets through that first wave, it becomes a foot race to the end zone, which is what happened on the 3 long TD runs.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
You can't defend the play Purdy threw it to TCU; it was inexcusable. That said, he didn't let it get to him, as he came back later in the quarter to get a big run, followed by a dime to Scates. I didn't think we were going to win when he had that bad play, so props to him for not sulking. Just don't do that again.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Agree, Purdy was fine outside of the one blunder. Our receivers are having a very hard time getting separation which is leading to some tightly contested throws. Same thing happened throughout the Louisiana game. They are really struggling against man coverage. Although it looked a little better today with Wilson and Scates both beating their man for big plays. Opposing teams clearly don't fear or receivers outside of Kolar.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
You can't defend the play Purdy threw it to TCU; it was inexcusable. That said, he didn't let it get to him, as he came back later in the quarter to get a big run, followed by a dime to Scates. I didn't think we were going to win when he had that bad play, so props to him for not sulking. Just don't do that again.
Purdy is good for one WTF throw per game. He usually shakes it off pretty well.