Post-game TCU celebration thread

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
So playing football is considered lucky now?

Are we supposed to hope the other team does a good job of stopping ISU's strengths?
It’s lucky when our offense hits a big play, but it’s terrible defense when their offense hits a big play on us. Don’t you understand that?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
People also forget that sending another rush means we're pulling away coverage from somewhere else. They're already worried about our DBs not keeping assignments...so they want to remove another DB or LB and hope they do a better job with less personnel? Doesn't add up.

The 3 front is working perfect right now. It's mainly the secondary that isn't, and that's correctable. We know our defense is difficult to learn and pick up pace to, that's why it's so damn good when it's learned and ready.

Our offense still needs the majority of tweaking. If we aren't generating turnovers (which we did SAT), we gotta keep the O on the field and in control. Gotta cut out 3 and outs, midfield stall/punting, stuff like that will go a long way towards wins. Much farther and faster than defensive changes will.

Yeah, anybody thinking we need to make major changes like play a bunch of 4 man front is wrong. While the DL is extremely talented by ISU standards, we're not going to line up in a 4-3 and overwhelm too many teams with talent.

34 points given up
- TD on the pitch six
- Garbage time meaningless TD on a prayer
- TD on complete blown coverage where guys didn't know what the hell they were doing on the back end and should've taken a time out
- TD on a short field after a bad punt and long return
-TD with a well timed blitz where we got exactly what we wanted, but the QB made a hell of a throw as he's getting drilled

I'm not saying TDs on blown coverages or short fields don't count, but there was absolutely nothing you could watch on Saturday to make you think we should be shaking things up schematically.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't think ISU had this problem against TCU -- but certainly in the past the 3 man rush sometimes (often?) allowed too much time for the receivers and QB to scramble around and eventually complete a pass. The primary advantage I see with a 4 man rush is to hopefully reduce the time dramatically that the secondary needs to cover the receivers. Meaning they would only have to cover the routes run by the receivers and not when the receivers scramble-to-get-open-after-the-route-is-finished-because-the-QB-is-still-able-to-throw-the-ball-if-I-can-get-open-anywhere.
. . . and a secondary advantage is better QB containment. Once again, I don't think this was a problem against TCU -- but in the past a mobile QB could shred ISU by running the ball against a 3 man pass rush.

The thing is with the 3 man front you can rush 4, but do it when you want. Sure, you can do some of that weird drop a DL into zone out of the 4 man front, but you are pretty much locked into rushing 4 or more with a 4 man front.

What Heacock likes to do rush three a lot without stunting. You keep things in front of you and the OL and QB start getting a little too comfortable. Then you can throw in an occasional stunt (which was successful vs. TCU) or blitz from the LB or DB, both of which have been pretty successful over the past couple of years.

Everybody wants their teams to blitz a lot, but you gotta pick your spots or teams will eat you alive.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
. . . which rather ignores the "could easily have been a three TD swing" from the TCU side of this:
1. ISU's lucky 75 yard run for a TD. One barely missed tackle. ISU wasn't doing anything before that.
2. ISU's lucky 49 yard run for a TD. 2 barely missed tackles. ISU couldn't run the ball for more than a couple yards per rush excluding those 2 runs.
3. A pinky away from returning a punt for a TD.
4. If only TCU would have double teamed Bailey from the beginning of the game instead of waiting until the 2nd half.
This was a dumb post. You should reconsider before you post something like this again.
You're exactly right, I did ignore these points. But not to obfuscate... I was simply expounding on what a gift Brock's whateverthatwas was and other items like it. obviously they happen on both sides of the ball in every game.
So playing football is considered lucky now?

Are we supposed to hope the other team does a good job of stopping ISU's strengths?
Lord have mercy, I forgot how important that stupid jimlad is. I was making a joke that either side can play the what-if game, however far one side might have to stre-e-e-e-tch for it. ISU clearly beat TCU way more soundly than the final score indicates.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Lord have mercy, I forgot how important that stupid jimlad is. I was making a joke that either side can play the what-if game, however far one side might have to stre-e-e-e-tch for it. ISU clearly beat TCU way more soundly than the final score indicates.

Feels like back pedaling.

Reactions: MeowingCows

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Really? The "pinky" comment wasn't absurd enough to cement the joke? I shall do my best to increase the absurdity and use the jimlad in the future.
Hawkeye trolls post absurd crap here all of the time. How are we supposed to know which absurd stuff they really believe (the vast majority of the time) and which is an attempt to be funny?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Really? The "pinky" comment wasn't absurd enough to cement the joke? I shall do my best to increase the absurdity and use the jimlad in the future.

Did you miss the first game of the season or do you not go into game threads? You're definitely going to have to up your level of absurd comments to make it seem like a joke.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron