Possible Future ISU vs. Minnesota Basketball home and home ?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Cool. Next season we can go there with Rashad Vaughn and beat them there, then make popcorn and watch the epic meltdowns at the goopher hole.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Minnesota killed Jack Trice, they can EABOD and DIAF. Do nothing to further their programs. However, if this goes forward, I hope ISU wears Jack Trice throwback style basketball uniforms for the games.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Would rather play Illinois or Wisconsin. Even Michigan State, Indiana or Purdue would be better. Minnesota is boring and wouldn't do anything for ISU's RPI.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I believe the Twin Cities is the only location outside the state that is not right on the Iowa border that was once included on the tailgate tour. That must tell us something - there is a big TC Cyclone base. Whenever ISU plays the goofers at the barn there is a strong (and vocal) Cyclone presence and we can impact the game. Minnesota Cyclones turn out for these games; bring 'em on.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
Before they beat us at Hilton, we beat them at their place behind one of the all-time great Rashon Clark dunks and Mike Taylor banked-in 3's.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
I will never forget the game up here when a MN player hit the scoreboard on a full court pass at the end of the game. Iowa state won on the subsequent inbounds pass. It was 1992. Thigpen hit the game winner.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I saw Travis Hines/Marcus Fuller/Doogie Wolfen tweeting last night about the possibiliy of ISU playing Minnesota as a non conference game yearly. It doesn't make a lot of sense for Football but it appears ISU is in for basketball, Just waiting to get a response from powers for the U of M.

I'm all for it... More exposure for Fred in Minnesota with a lot of targets that can get to the barn. Though I could see Richard trying to avoid this senerio.

I saw it was being discussed on Gopherhole and I thought it was interesting.
Interesting Twitter back and forth between M.Fuller and T.Hines on Minnesota vs ISU

1. Travis Hines @TravisHines21
  2. @GophersNow I'm with you, but with the way ISU is attempting to recruit up there I think it's a long shot.

1. Marcus R. Fuller @GophersNow
Follow
Nothing to gain for Hoiberg “@TravisHines21: I'm with you, but with the way ISU is attempting to recruit up there I think it's a long shot.”
11:24 PM - 25 Dec 2013

Wolfson @DarrenWolfson
Follow You got me thinking, @GophersNow & @TravisHines21, so I just checked. Word is the #Gophers need to say yes. ISU in on board for next year

1. Marcus R. Fuller @GophersNow
  2. Nothing to gain for Hoiberg “@TravisHines21: I'm with you, but with the way ISU is attempting to recruit up there I think it's a long shot.”

1. Travis Hines @TravisHines21
Follow
@GophersNow Thinking the other way around. Would Pitino let ISU say "You'll play at home at least once" or let ISU get exposure in MPLS?
11:29 PM - 25 Dec 2013

Darren Wolfson@DarrenWolfson16m
Heard again that #Cyclones will say yes to a hoops series starting next year. Silence thus far on #Gophers side. Logistics never easy.

Did we land RV yet?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Would rather play Illinois or Wisconsin. Even Michigan State, Indiana or Purdue would be better. Minnesota is boring and wouldn't do anything for ISU's RPI.

I would love home and homes with Illinois or Indiana.

Purdue is down enough right now. That doesn't seem like it would help.
My eyes can't handle a Wisconsin game.

Illinois or Indiana would be phenomenal games.
If we scheduled Michigan State, this place would lose its mind. That's the kind of eye-popping matchup that gets people excited, just like the Michigan game. That would be the best choice, but they obviously don't have to go looking for matchups.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Any of the Big East regional teams and any Big 10 teams I'm totally down to play.

Creighton. Marquette. DePaul. Illinois. Minnesota. Wisconsin. Northwestern. Indiana. St. Louis(regional at least and A-10 is good).

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I want to stick just within a (relatively) easy driving distance. All the teams below are within a 6 hour drive of Des Moines.

No priority in this list:

Missouri
St. Louis
DePaul
Northwestern
Illinois
Purdue
Notre Dame
Marquette
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Creighton
Nebraska

I would take home-and-home series with as many of them as would agree to it. Put the games on Saturdays and you have lots of Cyclones make a weekend of it.