Possible Future ISU vs. Minnesota Basketball home and home ?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Its not so much a basketball thing, its more of a: "we're in a big city, so we should be better," kind of thing. People from Minnesota struggle to admit anything in Iowa is better, or good, or even satisfactory. I really don't understand it; Wisconsin people are the same way.

Weird. I get that they think they are a football power house since they used to be good and those B1G schools love talking about history but don't understand the basketball thinking.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
"BLAH BLAH BLAH... OUR ELEVATED COURT IS SO AWESOME AND COOL. ITS THE BEST THING EVER. RECRUITS WANT TO PLAY ON IT!!! BLAH BLAH BLAH." --- Gopher Hole

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I have never seen a fan base that calls opposing fans trolls so quickly for offering a different viewpoint

Oh wait...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If Minnesota is even 10% as big time as their fans think they are they should be dying to recruit Iowa just like we recruit Minnesota. Iowa talent has been good enough to be a key part of Roy Williams success...but more likely Minnesota's athletic department and coaches want to settle for just being average and their fans are delusional about being great.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
Weird. I get that they think they are a football power house since they used to be good and those B1G schools love talking about history but don't understand the basketball thinking.

It has nothing to do with sports. It is ingrained in the culture. Back in college I went to a lake in northern MN with a friend. Her whole family was there and they spent introduction time telling Iowa jokes. Her 80 year old grandma's first words to me were "You know why all the trees in Minnesota lean south? Because Iowa sucks."
I call it the northern superiority theory. People think of themselves as equal rivals with neighboring states except to the south. Because they are obviously inferior hillbilly bumpkins. So Minnesota thinks they are better than Iowa, Iowa>Missouri, Missouri>Arkansas.....
Similarly, North Dakota> south Dakota>Nebraska> Kansas> Oklahoma
But Texas thinks they are better than everyone.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
It has nothing to do with sports. It is ingrained in the culture. Back in college I went to a lake in northern MN with a friend. Her whole family was there and they spent introduction time telling Iowa jokes. Her 80 year old grandma's first words to me were "You know why all the trees in Minnesota lean south? Because Iowa sucks."
I call it the northern superiority theory. People think of themselves as equal rivals with neighboring states except to the south. Because they are obviously inferior hillbilly bumpkins. So Minnesota thinks they are better than Iowa, Iowa>Missouri, Missouri>Arkansas.....
Similarly, North Dakota> south Dakota>Nebraska> Kansas> Oklahoma
But Texas thinks they are better than everyone.
This explains Canada's smugness.

CYUL8R

Feb 13, 2012
Seems like most of the responses over there were in favor of doing this. Some of the early adopters (i.e. rabid dooshnozzles) were against it but many are in favor as it ups the non-con schedule for their team, is an easy road trip away game and would be a fun home game in a full arena.

I've been dreaming of this for years - let's make it happen.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Is there a reason why Minnesota fans think they are so great at basketball compared to us?

I can't speak for Gopher fans, because even though I am Minnesotan, born and raised, I don't know a ton of big Gopher fans. There is a bit of the superiority complex against Iowa in general, but trust me, Minnesotans hate Wisconsin much more.

Gopherhole is a different story. I think it's like 15 guys who just talk each other up. They think they are Alabama in football and Duke in basketball. It's the oddest thing ever.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was there. Top row of the Barn in the corner. Terrible seats but awesome game. The inbounds play after the scoreboard play was a thing of beauty. Ron Bayless winks at Justus Thigpen and lobs the ball towards the rim. Thigpen skies for it, fumbles it I think, then scores and gets the and 1.

Yup, same area, same terrible seats but great game. Had talked by girl friend and her mother into going and they were not great sports fans but that was a game even non-fans could enjoy.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Lol at all the comments like "we have nothing to gain." Uh, you do. Anytime you can play someone from a power conference, and an upper-tier basketball school in that conference at that, you do it. If anything we have nothing to gain from playing a perennial Big 10 middle-to-bottom dweller.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I've posted many times, various threads, in favor of a home-and-home with UM. It isn't the only non-conference move I would consider — it isn't an end-all, more of a "why not?"

1. Play at home when Iowa game is in IC/Road when Iowa's in Ames.
2. Anchor the scheduling so the game occurs around same weekend each season. (Possible slot: Saturday prior to Thanksgiving week).

Some fans suggest an occasional series (i.e., home-and-home, but every other year, or occasional back-to-back). I say make this one annual, then snag isolated home-and-home series with other regional schools suggested in this thread, as opportunity arises (Creighton, Illinois, Wisconsin, Marquette).

Last edited:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Anyone attend the game at Hilton in the early '80s, when we beat #2 Minnesota? They had this big center named Randy Brewer(sp?) and were up by 6 with 26 seconds left. Johnny put a press on and we stole the ball several times ala Ohio State vs ND last Saturday. We missed a shot to win the game with about 5 secs left, but won in OT. This was before the 3-pt shot, which is why I never give up on the Clones.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
I've posted many times, various threads, in favor of a home-and-home with UM. It isn't the only non-conference move I would consider — it isn't an end-all, more of a "why not?"

1. Play at home when Iowa game is in IC/Road when Iowa's in Ames.
2. Anchor the scheduling so the game occurs around same weekend each season. (Possible slot: Saturday prior to Thanksgiving week).

Some fans suggest an occasional series (i.e., home-and-home, but every other year, or occasional back-to-back). I say make this one annual, then snag isolated home-and-home series with other regional schools suggested in this thread, as opportunity arises (Creighton, Illinois, Wisconsin, Marquette).

In this order Id like to see a future home-and-home with:

Michigan, again
Villanova
Illinois
Minnesoa
Harvard
Stanford

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Man, this has been dream of mine since moving from Iowa to Minnesota (consider myself more Minnesotan than Iowan, just barely). Just knowing the sports culture up here, I don't think this series will happen until Richard gets some legs under the Gopher program. People will get on board once they start to win. Most of us Minnesotans are fair weather fans because there are so many different choices. We tend to root for the hot team and ignore the rest.

I'd love to add an ISU game at the barn to my yearly set of 3-4 games. Here's to the recent upswing of midwestern basketball! It's good for all of us if ISU, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisky, etc have perennially good teams.

I know 5-10 people up here that would immediately buy tickets to a ISU/MN series every year (in Ames or MPLS).

I'd bet this will start in 2015-2016, not next year if it happens.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
1971 the first game in Hilton was Minn. vs ISU We lost that night. Maury John coached. Yes I was there

Not quite. December 2, 1971 was a victory (71 - 54) over Arizona in the opening game of the season. Minnesota was the second game, a 72 - 58 loss. Arizona lurched to a 6 - 20 record that year and got a new coach for the 1972/73 season--notable because Fred Snowden was the first black basketball head coach for a major program.

Last edited: