Possible candidates for ISU's open OC position...

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
My guess is that coaching at NAIA level is a "whole different kettle of fish" than coaching in D1 BCS. I bet he doesn't have to recruit as hard, or as long, and he doesn't feel as much pressure to excel.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. People that aren't internally driven don't become coaches at ANY level. You think he's coaching at an NAIA school for the salary or the prestige? Either he still loves the game too much to leave, or he feels like he has something to prove - probably both.

Apr 19, 2006
Kingsbury was a great OC at Houston and at A&M, not saying Sage is the guy but it would be in that same mold.

Sage reminds me a lot of Hoiberg. I heard him talk at one of the coaching clinics and the guy is sharp. He's a disciple of the game and takes everything in from those around him. When you first here his name it doesn't jump out at ya, but then after talking to him the similarities of CFH and Sage seem eerily similar. You just never know.

Just get me somebody and quickly the ol' ticker isn't going to make it through this search if things don't pick up steam!

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
I want Hal Mumme. The tree of Offensive guys that learned under him is amazing. Example - Tony Franklin was an Asst coach under Hal Mumme at Kentucky 1997-2000. Mumme and Leach created the Air Raid why not go get one of the 2 guys that most people pattern their Offenses after?

Hal is the OC at SMU and could probably be had.

If not Mumme I like the idea of Dave Christensen, Mark Mangino or Steve Loney. But I can not stress enough Mumme would be my first choice. I would also like Sage to be brought on as an Asst Coach.

Edit - Tree of Coaches under the God Father of the Air Raid Hal Mumme

I don't think Mumme is the answer. He had major problems at Kentucky with NCAA infractions and resigned before the investigations were finished (or announced at least). USATODAY.com - Mumme resigns as Kentucky football coach

I realize he's apparently been clean since, but his record since then has been sub-par and I think we can get someone younger and who's still hungry.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If you get Sage in a room and give him a bunch of looks on video and he responds well...why not?

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I don't think Mumme is the answer. He had major problems at Kentucky with NCAA infractions and resigned before the investigations were finished (or announced at least). USATODAY.com - Mumme resigns as Kentucky football coach

I realize he's apparently been clean since, but his record since then has been sub-par and I think we can get someone younger and who's still hungry.

I am not saying Mumme should be our head coach. I am saying I want him to come in and call plays as OC. Read this article from Jan of this yr before he got the SMU OC job
Preaching the pass: Hal Mumme's disciples still thrive

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Steve Loney from Marshalltown, is an ISU grad, and former McCarney assistant. He has coached at Iowa State, Minnesota, and UConn. He is also a legend in the profession from his out-of-nowhere winning season as (non-scholarship FCS) Drake's HC for their winning season in 2007.
Steve has also coached OL for the Minnesota Vikings, St Louis Rams, and currently with Tampa Bay of the NFL. Who knows if he wants to come home, but the Tampa HC is known to be on the hot seat, so Steve may be looking for a gig anyway.
With Iowa State, Steve was a contemporary of both coach Rhoads and Sage Rosenfels. He could be a good mesh, especially if Sage wants to ease into this by starting out as just the QB coach. Steve also, I happen to know, is a favorite of Viking play-by-play, and KFAN morning host Paul Allen, from his days with the Vikings. (As are Sage and Fred Hoiberg).

I like this idea but I think the chances of Loney coming here while Pollard is AD has to be about zero.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Sorry, I love Sage and all, but CPRs job depends on hiring the right guys. He needs proven coaches.

Football doesn't work the same as basketball so people wanting a Fred Hoiberg type hire are thinking with their hearts more than their heads.

Signed Kliff Kingsburry

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
Not sure why anyone would want Loney again. He cut and ran on Iowa State twice. And he never stays in one place more than 3 years.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Not sure why anyone would want Loney again. He cut and ran on Iowa State twice. And he never stays in one place more than 3 years.

ISU's best offenses were under his watch and i would think at his age, this would be his last stop.

The only reason i would consider him is to run an offense that is different than the rest of the big 12. Not sure if he would come back to ISU, thought he campaigned pretty hard for the HC job and was sour that he didn't get it.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
No Loney. He has jilted us a couple of times.

The more I read about Schramm the more I think he would be a good hire. An article from last spring about Fresno State's offense and prospects for the 2013 season.

FSBulldogs.com - Coaching Profile:Dave Schramm

That Schramm was successful in his first year as offensive coordinator should come as no surprise to Bulldogs' fans.

Prior to coming to Fresno, he spent the previous seven seasons at Utah, where he also served as the coach of the running backs, quarterbacks and tight ends. During his tenure with the Utes, Schramm's offenses averaged 33.1 points per game in 2010 and 29.1 in 2009.

As Schramm enters his second season with the 'Dogs, he knows that his offense will require constant adjustment if they are able to maintain their level of excellence. "I don't think there was one game last year where we didn't have to make adjustments," Schramm said. "People are going to play you different every single week."

For 2013, Schramm will have the task of keeping players like Carr and Adams flourishing in the offense, while finding some new playmakers, especially in the running game, where the main concern is finding an adequate replacement for Robbie Rouse.

So far, Schramm likes what he sees from junior running back Darryl Cash. "Cash has done a great job," Schramm said. "He's a smart player and he's got really good vision."

As the Bulldogs embark in year two in Schramm's system in 2013, there will be some pressure to maintain their offensive excellence. But if everything falls in to place and some of the younger playmakers establish themselves, then Schramm's adjustments will be few and far between.
- See more at: FSBulldogs.com - Coaching Profile:Dave Schramm

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
One thing I really like about CPR and the Burnham's is their obviouc passion for the game. They smile in interviews and seem to have fun Coaching. Lots of personality. Would like our new OC to fit in that mold.

Sage would be a great QB Coach and he could help game plan at a Pro level. React to adjustments, etc. Groom him for OC under someone who may move on after a few years.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

You don't know the whole story. The first time he left it was because Mac was under pressure to make changes so he took a job at U of Minnesota. While there for 2 years they had the greatest offense production in their history. The second time he left was for the NFL. In the NFL each time he has been let go is because the HC was let go, not much you can do about that when they fire everyone on the staff. I'm pretty sure his preference would be to stay with one team instead of picking up and changing jobs every 3 years.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
We need to get a home run here for the OC. I like the idea of Sage, but when people compare him to Hoiberg..not every Ex-pro is going to come into the college world and dominate like hoiberg has. I would love to see Sage get a shot, but I'm not sure about OC just yet, thats a lot of responsibility for an unproven coach, but would love to see him as at least the QB coach.

Also, I spoke with my buddy who played TE at LA Tech under Tony Franklin and he said "You don't want that guy in your program, a**hole through and through. Franklin's a d**k."

A former Auburn player felt the same way. There is a reason he was canned after half a season at Auburn....the same season CPR was DC at Auburn.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Now I like Sage and all but people were killing Messingham for getting this job without much (decent) experience. And now some people want to give the OC reins to someone who has never coached a down of football? This is way too important of a hire to hope it works out.

That said, no reason he couldn't be brought in as a QB coach. That makes MUCH more sense than the OC.

Doctor

Aug 19, 2011
The Sage thing is just silly. CPR is fighting for his head coaching life and is going to choose Sage?

Doesn't make a bit of sense.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Anyone else see Brent Pease, OC at Florida was let go. Seems like a decent option. Definitely for recruiting.

No thanks, I'll pass on a guy that turned 5 star talent into that absolute dog crap offense. If you can be that inept offensively at Florida you simply are a bad football coach and have no hope of being good.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Just a thought I had this morning: We're always talking about K-State being the ideal program model for Iowa State to follow if we want to be more consistently competitive in the conference. Is there anyone on Snyder's offensive staff that would be poachable? I would think their guys could bring in some good ideas for building an offense around the type of players Iowa State can get and have a good eye for hidden gems on the recruiting trail.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
My guess is that coaching at NAIA level is a "whole different kettle of fish" than coaching in D1 BCS. I bet he doesn't have to recruit as hard, or as long, and he doesn't feel as much pressure to excel.

You do realize that our own Todd Sturdy was the head coach at NAIA St. Ambrose University, right? *facepalm*

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I LOVE the thought of Sage for QB coach, but not for a coordinator. The dude hasn't even been in a coaching meeting before, could you imagine him trying to LEAD one? Kingsbury spent two years as an assistant before being named CO OC and QB coach at Houston, so it's not even close to a comparable situation.

As for those dismissing guys for being "mean" or a "hardass", I think that's EXACTLY what this team needs. We have a players coach fora head coach, we can afford a guy the guys hate (but respect) for a coordinator.

Reactions: longtimeclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron