Possible candidates for ISU's open OC position...

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I wouldnt expect huge improvements next year. Lazard would be a true freshman (if he doesn't redshirt) and Rohach would still be just a sophomore.

Which is another positive to this move. Let these guys learn under new coaches as underclassmen the put them in position to succeed in Rohach's junior season. I'm not suggesting that next year is a throw away, but let's not expect the world right out of the gate.

I think the place you see huge improvement in is the offensive line. That will make a lot of our offense look much better. And we aren't talking about a top 20 offense, we just need to not be bottom of the barrel in the nation.

Reactions: CYcoFan

cysdude

Dec 21, 2011
How about Herb Hand. He is at Vanderbilt now as an O Line coach. He was a CO-Offensive coordinator with Gus Malzahn at Tulsa that had some good offenses.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
With Sage, is he as good a student of football as Fred is with basketball? I wonder. What makes CFH so special is his study of the game, and his ability to learn from multiple sources. Does Sage Rosenfels exhibit the same qualities to make him a good candidate as an OC?

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Flynn and Blythe also could be looked at as recruiters as well. Good players for us with coaching experience.

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
Austin Flynn is doing amazing things for GVU as OC.

My guess is that coaching at NAIA level is a "whole different kettle of fish" than coaching in D1 BCS. I bet he doesn't have to recruit as hard, or as long, and he doesn't feel as much pressure to excel.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
With Sage, is he as good a student of football as Fred is with basketball? I wonder. What makes CFH so special is his study of the game, and his ability to learn from multiple sources. Does Sage Rosenfels exhibit the same qualities to make him a good candidate as an OC?

Fred also new when he was playing that he wanted to coach, which I think was very important. If Sage has wanted to coach for years, he's a decent candidate to be an assistant. If he just decided he wanted to coach within the last year I think he'll have to get some other experience first.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
My guess is that coaching at NAIA level is a "whole different kettle of fish" than coaching in D1 BCS. I bet he doesn't have to recruit as hard, or as long, and he doesn't feel as much pressure to excel.

Obviously you don't hire Flynn as the OC--you go after somebody like Christensen for that.

However, I'm confident that someone who went to Iowa State and had success would be a good recruiter. He is going to have more experiences and in depth knowledge about ISU to convince recruits to come here. Not sure if any of these previous players are qualified enough to be a QB coach though.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN

I also like this one. NDSU boasts multiple, recent national championships in the FCS where they must fight their way through actual playoffs. That will be great experience to transfer to the FBS as the field grows from 2 to 4 to however many in the future.

This would also be a shrewd move, since ISU opens with NDSU in 2014. That one is going to be tough. The Bison beat the Old Man in Manhattan this year. Nobody does that!!

North Dakota has open enrollment with Minnesota, so a good number of kids on the NDSU roster are from Minnesota. It could be very good for ISU to improve its position in the region by hiring Brent as OC. And since he would be coming from Fargo, no way the weather would scare him off!

DRCHIRO

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2008
I just want someone with experience who has called plays before. Calling a good offensive game can be an art form.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO
We need to get a home run here for the OC. I like the idea of Sage, but when people compare him to Hoiberg..not every Ex-pro is going to come into the college world and dominate like hoiberg has. I would love to see Sage get a shot, but I'm not sure about OC just yet, thats a lot of responsibility for an unproven coach, but would love to see him as at least the QB coach.

Also, I spoke with my buddy who played TE at LA Tech under Tony Franklin and he said "You don't want that guy in your program, a**hole through and through. Franklin's a d**k."

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
I just want someone with experience who has called plays before. Calling a good offensive game can be an art form.

Another name that fits this mold is UCF offensive coordinator Charlie Taaffe. He has had great success developing QB's and uses a balanced attack. He also spent a year with Coach Rhoads at Pitt in 2006 and earns about $100k less than we were paying coach Messingham. With UCF's success, have been able to watch some of their games and his offensive style mixes spread and run similar to K-State. He would be at the top of the list for me with Schramm, Christensen, Riley and Cole right behind. (If we could poach UCF's RB coach as well, that would be a great addition).

acody

Nov 25, 2006
We need to get a home run here for the OC. I like the idea of Sage, but when people compare him to Hoiberg..not every Ex-pro is going to come into the college world and dominate like hoiberg has. I would love to see Sage get a shot, but I'm not sure about OC just yet, thats a lot of responsibility for an unproven coach, but would love to see him as at least the QB coach.

Also, I spoke with my buddy who played TE at LA Tech under Tony Franklin and he said "You don't want that guy in your program, a**hole through and through. Franklin's a d**k."

He will be the top candidate.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
I want Hal Mumme. The tree of Offensive guys that learned under him is amazing. Example - Tony Franklin was an Asst coach under Hal Mumme at Kentucky 1997-2000. Mumme and Leach created the Air Raid why not go get one of the 2 guys that most people pattern their Offenses after?

Hal is the OC at SMU and could probably be had.

If not Mumme I like the idea of Dave Christensen, Mark Mangino or Steve Loney. But I can not stress enough Mumme would be my first choice. I would also like Sage to be brought on as an Asst Coach.

Edit - Tree of Coaches under the God Father of the Air Raid Hal Mumme

Last edited:

Apr 19, 2006

WOW! Just got back from the Chiefs/Broncos game and this is the first I heard of this! I have to eat some crow! CHOMP, CHOMP!!!

Anybody know if, how this will effect recruiting?

Good thing is our hat is in the ring some what early, bad news is there will be a lot of mixing and matching of coaches in the next month or so. I'm guessing Coach K, just because he was the mastermind of the pistol.

I'm also assuming since no announcement on the defensive side nothing is going to happen this year or is Wally going to take a couple of weeks to think about it?