Positive *Informative* Covid News

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcbob79clone

In vaccine news Dr. Fauci upholds coronavirus vaccine projection timeline - he expects a safe and effective vaccine to be available by early 2021. Possibly sooner, but "unlikely"

While Brazil is saying by end of 2020

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Sorry if this has been posted, but it's the first time I've seen this. Not conclusive, but interesting.
Supercomputer analysis

This was a fascinating read. Not sure if there's much out there yet that we can use this information for, but it certainly could point us in the right direction. Imagine it might take awhile for anything to be figured out from it, but it might help develop some therapies for the interim until a vaccine comes (especially if that takes longer than expected)?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Story county now at 15.0% for the 14 day average. Got there a couple days quicker than I thought. State was a little higher on the daily percentages the last couple days than normal, maybe some labor day tests popping?

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
While US cases continue to decline, Europe is becoming a hot spot again. France and Spain's 7-day infection rate has passed the US and much else of Europe will soon pass the US. Hopefully US cases continue to nosedive.

1599834927270.png

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
While US cases continue to decline, Europe is becoming a hot spot again. France and Spain's 7-day infection rate has passed the US and much else of Europe will soon pass the US. Hopefully US cases continue to nosedive.

View attachment 75372
Question is the death rate with the second wave? Also, we in the U.S. may get a vaccine before a second wave!

Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
absorption is still an issue though. in order for the zinc to stop the viral replication it needs another drug to help it get to the virus through the cell membrane. To try to illustrate that more clearly, you have the zinc on one side of a wall, and the virus on the other side of the wall, but you need a drug to help get the zinc through the wall to stop the virus. That’s what hydroxychloroquine does, it opens the door for the zinc to stop the virus replication.

Do you have any links to clinical trials? I thought this was a "news" thread.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Question is the death rate with the second wave? Also, we in the U.S. may get a vaccine before a second wave!
Deaths have increased a little bit in Spain. I'd call it more of a ripple than a wave. They have not really increased in France. In my opinion, a true "second wave" is highly unlikely. It will never be as bad as the first time around. We may see an uptick in fall/winter in places that haven't been hit that hard, but not an overwhelming wave. The metric people need to start paying attention to is the baseline for all-cause mortality. Are we above it? Below it? How much above it? For instance, if the U.S. is experiencing, 100 deaths/day from Covid19, but the all-cause deaths on a week-to-week basis are not above the excess deaths threshold, then we aren't really in an epidemic any more.

It appears we may actually may have entered below the threshold last week, but the CDC seems to take a week or two to get their chart fully updated.

It is pretty interesting and informative looking at these charts for other countries as well.

It'll be interesting to see what next year looks like as covid19 has eliminated a large number of the susceptible population that would have likely died over the next 12-24 months regardless. For example, 2018 saw higher than normal deaths (maybe a bad flu season?) followed by a lower than normal 2019.

1599841185836.png

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Do you have any links to clinical trials? I thought this was a "news" thread.
This is a positive information Covid news thread, which means keep your Woodward conspiracy theory posts out of this thread. Feel free to refute anything I said. I think it’s widely known that zinc stops viral replication and hydroxychloroquine helps with absorption.

• Dumb
Reactions: CycloneErik

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Deaths have increased a little bit in Spain. I'd call it more of a ripple than a wave. They have not really increased in France. In my opinion, a true "second wave" is highly unlikely. It will never be as bad as the first time around. We may see an uptick in fall/winter in places that haven't been hit that hard, but not an overwhelming wave. The metric people need to start paying attention to is the baseline for all-cause mortality. Are we above it? Below it? How much above it? For instance, if the U.S. is experiencing, 100 deaths/day from Covid19, but the all-cause deaths on a week-to-week basis are not above the excess deaths threshold, then we aren't really in an epidemic any more.

It appears we may actually may have entered below the threshold last week, but the CDC seems to take a week or two to get their chart fully updated.

It is pretty interesting and informative looking at these charts for other countries as well.

It'll be interesting to see what next year looks like as covid19 has eliminated a large number of the susceptible population that would have likely died over the next 12-24 months regardless. For example, 2018 saw higher than normal deaths (maybe a bad flu season?) followed by a lower than normal 2019.

View attachment 75385
I do also think excess deaths is one of the best metrics we can use (in my amateur opinion). It kind of cuts through a lot of the other "noise" of other metrics and is pretty hard to argue it.

Reactions: aauummm and simply1

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is a positive information Covid news thread, which means keep your Woodward conspiracy theory posts out of this thread. Feel free to refute anything I said. I think it’s widely known that zinc stops viral replication and hydroxychloroquine helps with absorption.

So you don't have any links to effective clinical trials with covid.

You also claim that voluntarily recorded audio clips from the president on Covid in January are "conspiracy". That's probably the most dishonest thing I've read on this board.

Read the thread title. You're not being informative or positive. You're not posting covid related news.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'd say about 80-90% of the information being posted is useful which is pretty good by today's standards.

Other stuff leans a bit quacky.

Apparently we're not allowed to ask for links to back up the quacky stuff, but we are allowed to call hard fact audio footage and data "conspiracy".

I think people need to reexamine their definition of "news".

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Apparently we're not allowed to ask for links to back up the quacky stuff, but we are allowed to call hard fact audio footage and data "conspiracy".

I think people need to reexamine their definition of "news".

Yep and I think that's a conversation for a thread that's not this one.

Not trying to be deflective...but this is the kind of stuff that tanks threads.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yep and I think that's a conversation for a thread that's not this one.

Not trying to be deflective...but this is the kind of stuff that tanks threads.

For the record, I asked for a link to clinical trials for a covid treatment and someone responded by calling facts that I wasn't even talking about "conspiracy".

Perhaps remove "news" and/or "informative" from thread title because requests for information are not allowed and calling hard fact "conspiracy" is allowed. Maybe "Non-Sourced Covid Opinions That Make Me Feel Good"?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
For the record, I asked for a link to clinical trials for a covid treatment and someone responded by calling facts that I wasn't even talking about "conspiracy".

Perhaps remove "news" and/or "informative" from thread title because requests for information are not allowed and calling hard fact "conspiracy" is allowed. Maybe "Non-Sourced Covid Opinions That Make Me Feel Good"?
Ignore both the questioning of asking for links and the conspiracy comment. You are helping him succeed at derailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron