Pollard on Cydline show?

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
Can we get a Beat Thread going on ISU Attendence this weekend?

Over/Under would be 49,000. What's your thoughts.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
Definitely not insignificant but $1m extra per year won't come close to paying for an upgrade of that magnitude. Assuming the upgrade costs $50 million and we get 50% donated and finance the other $25 million over 30 years at say 5%, the annual debt payment alone is $1.6 million.

Using your $50 per ticket, we would have to sell an extra 32,000 seats each year just to meet the debt payment.

Your math is pretty good, and demonstrates it is not out of reach. Let's say we do it right and spend $60 million. If we can get $30 million of private donations, the debt service on $30 million for 30 years at 5% is $1.9 million. At $50 a ticket, 38,000 tickets per year. For 7 home games, an average of 5400 more fans per game. And that does not include parking revenue, concession revenue, or any other private contributions above 50% (I am sure JP would shoot for 100%).

But it is going to take some winning and an economic recovery to put this back on track.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
They still have seats without donation requirements. My parents have season tickets and the people next to them donate $0.

Like I said, they may be a little higher than ours...but not a lot.

Not much if any, it takes $2,500 or $650/seat to sit between the 40s on the lower so we pay more, the short term gain is coming back to haunt us

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
11000 season tickets??? That a HUGE drop from just 2 years ago. I highly doubt that is the actual number.
boys boys boys...the actual number is whatever was sold last year minus 5000 season tickets that were not renewed this year...according to jamie pollard.

I believe but have NO proof that the number of season tickets sold are around 30,000....

Go ye mighty Cyclones...Pound Those Baylor Bears!!!!:yes:

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Ok, now we are seeing the problems, what JP is not saying is we are cheap.
Part of it is economy, part is our record, but it is what it is.

1. There were only 11,.000 full price $350 tickets. And now that we had the discounted sales, many of these are going to ask should I renew.

2. The total of tickets sold includes CyPaks students, and Little Cyclone Club as season tickets. So we have not sold all that much in terms of cash.

3. Remember when donors and season ticket holders were expressing concern and were getting chastised? Looks like they had a point.

4. At this point going to 7 games next year it will be interesting to see what pricing is.

5. The $430 is is a marketing ploy. Bottom line, we went to KC to avoid raising season ticket prices (as well as the guaruntee).

Just some random thoughts.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
boys boys boys...the actual number is whatever was sold last year minus 5000 season tickets that were not renewed this year...according to jamie pollard.

I believe but have NO proof that the number of season tickets sold are around 30,000....

I think you are correct on the 30,000. The key is what ones were not renewed, full price? and what were they replaced with .

We do not have the information to make a judgment.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
We set the record of near 37K two years ago, in Chiz's first year.

I don't recall mini-packs being an option - anyone remember otherwise?

I thought the Applebees pack was only last year, then the other two this year with no sponsorship (???)

Sure you have Lil' Cyclone Club, Endzones and Hillsides. But the last two years - the minipacks seem wildly popular and are pretty close to being sold out IIRC.

So if we were at 37K WITHOUT the packs, and are now looking at 30K WITH the packs (all the while I think the endzone was soldout and assuming 'Lil Cyclone Club and hillsides aren't much of a factor) .... that means we've lost a TON of regular, full-paid season ticket holders.

Am I wrong in this?

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Once again. Who cares if we sell 15,000 or 30,000 season tickets. If this team keeps improving and starts winning some games there will be 40,000 - 45,000 people in the stands for the rest of the year. At this point it doesn't matter whether they bought all of the tickets together or if they are walk-ups, they're paying the same amount for the ticket.

Now, if this trend continues and we see less and less donations along with these season tickets then we may be in trouble long term. That being said, I haven't seen too many empty parking spots in the donor lots so that must not be where the 5,000 drop came from.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
All this meaning that to make up the difference of newly formed mini-packs, and to end up with maybe 30K in season ticket total - we've lost A TON of regular season ticket holders the past two years.

And will continue to as long as buying the minipack remains the better deal.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
We care because we are replacing $350 season ticket holders who have not renewed (who are also more likely to be donors) with $200 discounted packages.

At some point those still at full price will say screw it.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Provided the team can start putting some winning seasons together, that does not seem unreasonable. Playing in the Big 12 (+ Iowa) generally does afford a home schedule to pull that off.

A second big(ger) donor would be nice too.

Now, if ISU moves to the MAC, all bets are off... :jimlad:

I completely agree with you. Part of my point is that the team needs to start winning in order to "earn" more season ticket holders and donors because I think ISU fans for the most part have done their part. I think ticket prices are already way too high for the product on the field. It hasn't stopped me from buying tickets (yet) but I'm sure we have priced some people out of the market.

With the economy and lack of winning, I just don't see a need or justification for bowling in the south endzone as much as I'd like to see it happen. It would help with recruiting, but the fact is that we likely couldn't pay for it without a lot of help (winning games and more/bigger donors).

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Once again. Who cares if we sell 15,000 or 30,000 season tickets. If this team keeps improving and starts winning some games there will be 40,000 - 45,000 people in the stands for the rest of the year. At this point it doesn't matter whether they bought all of the tickets together or if they are walk-ups, they're paying the same amount for the ticket.

Now, if this trend continues and we see less and less donations along with these season tickets then we may be in trouble long term. That being said, I haven't seen too many empty parking spots in the donor lots so that must not be where the 5,000 drop came from.

I get what you're saying, but I'll guarantee JP would say otherwise.

There's alot to be had with that money up front in season ticket sales. The donations that come with and are usually required with season ticket sales versus single walk ups.

How much was the average ticket price for the NDSU game between season ticket holder and walkup/single? Alot of those singles/mini-packs were had for as little as $10. Where as the season ticket was more like $50-$60.

Same number of butts in seats doesn't really equate to equal revenues.

But your point is well taken - winning will cure many financial woes.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
We care because we are replacing $350 season ticket holders who have not renewed (who are also more likely to be donors) with $200 discounted packages.

At some point those still at full price will say screw it.

Exactly...especially when you tell them that they are 1 of 3 people that are actually paying full price.

I'm not paying full price (yet) as I'm 27 but I know that would tick me off if I was and 66% of season ticket holders weren't.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
I pay full price for 4, and plus donation, and it is getting to be a stretch.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Iowa s season tickets might be less then ours, but the donation levels are a few hundred dollars higher. Pick you poison. Plus you cant get any seats without a donation i believe or a seat fee

Not even close to true:

University of Iowa Official Athletic Site :: Iowa

The donations are in line with ours and there are season ticket seats that do not require a donation or seat fee. Plus the tickets are $339/7 = $48/ea compared to our $58/ea average price.

Like it or not our season ticket prices + donations are higher than Iowa or any other program in the Big XII North except Nebraska. It is no surprise that season ticket sales are down as our performance does not justify Jamie's pricing. Plus he has also removed the incentive for buying season tickets by selling minipaks and single game tickets at lower prices in donation-required seating.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Not even close to true:

University of Iowa Official Athletic Site :: Iowa

The donations are in line with ours and there are season ticket seats that do not require a donation or seat fee. Plus the tickets are $339/7 = $48/ea compared to our $58/ea average price.

Like it or not our season ticket prices + donations are higher than Iowa or any other program in the Big XII North except Nebraska. It is no surprise that season ticket sales are down as our performance does not justify Jamie's pricing. Plus he has also removed the incentive for buying season tickets by selling minipaks and single game tickets at lower prices in donation-required seating.

I agree on the minipacks. A great example of short term benefit, long term cost.

However, as far as the price for season tickets vs iowa... its a game we might have to play. We have a much smaller stadium. Iowa could charge a lot less and still make about as much as we do in a game, just due to the larger number there. And thats small potatoes compared to the likes of texas and their 100k+ (and rising) capacity stadium. Its a tough position to be in no matter what you do. Youve always gotta find the maximum price the market will bear to maximize profit *long term*

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I pay full price for 4, and plus donation, and it is getting to be a stretch.

Same here. (except we pay the faculty/staff price, not the full price.) And before all the posts from earlier this year are repeated, I'll also say that we don't intend to stop buying season FB tickets, and we don't intend to stop donating to the Cyclone Club. For several years we've bought one more FB ticket than we have bodies at every game. The extra room is nice, but that extra space does cost a lot in terms of "rent" that's not being provided gratis. All I'd like is some acknowledgment of our long-time/long-term following of ISU sports and long term Cyclone Club commitment.

And even that isn't absolutely necessary. I'm just sayin' it would be nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyAg

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
I listened to the show last night. JP related season ticket income and the economy as key components when talking about planning a new JTS end zone.

JP said his concern was not filling a new addition (in the past, JP has said the double deck end zone would increase seats to about 57,000 while capacity today, including hillsides, is close to that at 54k-55k), it is the $60 million required to fund it that is troublesome.

Seems to me that JP was saying we could use the seats, if we could only pay for them. IIRC, JP said interest on the bonding to pay for a new end zone would run maybe $5 million annually. So. . . .

Season tickets are not down from the mid-30,000s to 11,000, he was explaining, rather, that season ticket sales annually only include about 11,000 who buy full cost packages. The 11,000 figure did not include student tickets and the several other types of packages that are counted in the season-ticket totals.

JP was not without hope, it didn't seem to my ear. He said that when he arrived here that if someone would have told him the department would have found the $30 million to make the recent updates to JTS, he wouldn't have believed it. Not long ago, he wasn't sure how soon a basketball facility could be built, but the unexpected happened.

He did say ISU football assistant coaches salaries went from third 18 months ago to last or near last today. JP, explaining that's how stunningly fast things can change in college athletics today, sounded a bit frustrated to me when he acknowledged that right now ISU isn't in position to do much about assistant's salaries.