Pollard Addresses MBB

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
I would say you have 2 problems. Reading comprehension, and you are no doubt one of the kids Pollard is talking about. Does your mother still wipe your nose for you?

No, but she did teach me that if I fail spectacularly at my job that blaming all my employees for being too immature won't save me. Unless, of course, I've got naked pictures of MY boss in a pen full of goats or sheep.

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Pollard isn't on the hot seat. As fans we like to think that his job is measured on the coaches peformance. It isn't. It's measured by the financial state of the Athletic Department, and that's in better shape than it's ever been, in large part due to him.

If the University starts losing money, Pollard will be on the hot seat. But if it stays in the red, and football keeps doing pretty well, Pollard has no job worry.

Image = Money

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
While I completely understand where JP is coming from on all this, because I think most of us can agree there is a greater sense of entitlement with each passing generation, the whole letter just gets way too personal, which is sort of the complaint with the Rainey response, as I recall. This line is the worst of the bunch:

Unfortunately if a kid’s world is not absolutely perfect (in their mind), they run from the problem rather than deal with it. Makes you wonder if it is the first signs of our society’s change in our early education program (no longer give kids grades – everybody passes; can’t keep score, everybody has to win; if you do not like something, have mom or dad complain on your behalf)

So there's a blanket statement for all of these transfers? I guarantee if the WJ went the other way and he transferred from Syracuse to ISU we wouldn't be implying him as part of this "spoiled athlete" statement. How are Scotty and future transfers supposed to take this?

Right. I'm not real fond of that comment myself. Really not putting himself above the fray there.

Are we really blaming society instead of our own program?
I understand that JP has made a decision and needs to support his guy, but to do it in this fashion is pretty inappropriate IMO.

NECyclone

Mar 23, 2006
I wonder how many of the younger generation on here didn't like JP's response verses the older group that might be tending to agree with it?

CRAZYGREG

Feb 29, 2008
Des Moines
Pollard has made his money selling hope - GMAC, Cael, and Chiz. 2 of the 3 are gone and there is no hope in the thrid. Rhoades got it done in year one but do not expect an uptick in wins this year with the schedule or next year for that matter. Football support will suffer slightly from this. BBall is the worst BCS program in the country with no future in sight. All of this with the down economy.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Buh, buh, buh, he's the guy that fired DannyMac and Wayne Morgan and must be held responsible for it... :wacko:

Anyone who is anti-Pollard in general is still mad about one of those firings, and holding a grudge. As far as actually doing their job, Pollard is so far beyond any other AD we've had in recent years, that it's not even funny.

Pollard's problem is that as long as a program is making an acceptable level of money, he doesn't care to do anything about it. That, and the contract he gave McD. What in the hell was he thinking there?

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Makes me sick he puts BF and GM in the same breath.
The same thing is happening to both coaches, how do you explain that? I think that the transfer problem is a very valid point. It shows that it's a problem regardless of win/loss record, recruiting acumen, coaching style, etc., etc. It is a problem nationwide. I would see the NCAA adopting new tougher rules on transferring.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
He may be right about the kids and the generation and an a fans reaction to his comments are likely to be clouded by their opinion of the current situation.

The bottom line has to be are we above the average, and why are they leaving. That determines the validity of the defense versus it being simply a distraction.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008

- Be nice if JP posted the link to how many STARTERS have quit/transferred. Definitely guys like Buckley are part of the national trend, but Hamilton and other starters are a symptom of something happening HERE.

- I do think JP understands he has made a bad hire. He is doing what he can to spin a bad situation.

- Bringing in Fennelly was low. Fail, JP.

- Agree with the societal comments. But there is an equally strong trend I see in society which is nobody seems accountable/responsible for anything. Just a big blame/excuse game. People of character stand up and take responsibility.

- Bottom line, JP is stuck with the horrible contract. Nothing more. We have a lame duck coach that will continue to struggle. Recruiting and player development are the cornerstone of performance. GMac has failed to even retain enough players to have 3-4 years of development, and his recruiting is going to be hamstrung from here on out as other schools and recruits know he is a lame duck. The prospects for the situation getting much better are bleak.

Reactions: yCy and CycloneErik

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I don't think he was doing that at all. He was just saying its the nature of college basketball now. Nowhere did he say it was acceptable.

The most telling line (and I've seen this before in other emails posted by people on here) is this:

It really makes you wonder doens't it? he never really "stood up" for Greg, just said he's working to combat that. hmmm.... change of heart Mr. Pollard?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
The same thing is happening to both coaches, how do you explain that? I think that the transfer problem is a very valid point. It shows that it's a problem regardless of win/loss record, recruiting acumen, coaching style, etc., etc. It is a problem nationwide. I would see the NCAA adopting new tougher rules on transferring.

As long as we also did something with nomadic coaches, that's fair.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
I wonder how many of the younger generation on here didn't like JP's response verses the older group that might be tending to agree with it?

There's also option 3. I'm 24. I agree with most of his points, but not the way in how he said it. Sounds pretty catty.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008

What's to like in the response? He's blending the mens program with the women's one, and then blaming young kid's (there are young kids at other schools too, mind you). Could he be any more evasive?

aauummm

June is National Camping Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Actually thought it was a great piece by JP.

Ok, I'm 31 (not super old, yet) and the way "kids" I mean 18-25 year olds act today blows me away. They don't think they need to work because mom and dad have been successful and will take care of them. We have had interns come into our office and they are shocked when they didn't find a VP job right out of college. They don't understand why they had to take a job for $35K / year, how were they going to survive. They don't understand that if you bust your ***, you can double or triple your salary in a few years. Maybe I am stuck in an area of 18-25 year olds that are the exception, but I feel that I am not.
My son is 32 and his experience with younger workers is the same as yours.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

I'm 24, and I agree with what he's saying. I just think it was stupid of him to put out a letter saying this, ignoring the fact that this had been MUCH worse at ISU than other schools.

He isn't wrong when he says this generation has a sense of entitlement, which, I'd like to add, was instilled in them by their parents (the generation complaining) by telling them that they're the center of the universe, perfect, better than they really are etc. I'm thankful every day that my parents didn't raise me to expect the world on a platter, because a lot of my peers were.

Reactions: CycloneErik

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
- Be nice if JP posted the link to how many STARTERS have quit/transferred. Definitely guys like Buckley are part of the national trend, but Hamilton and other starters are a symptom of something happening HERE.

- I do think JP understands he has made a bad hire. He is doing what he can to spin a bad situation.

- Bringing in Fennelly was low. Fail, JP.

- Agree with the societal comments. But there is an equally strong trend I see in society which is nobody seems accountable/responsible for anything. Just a big blame/excuse game. People of character stand up and take responsibility.

- Bottom line, JP is stuck with the horrible contract. Nothing more. We have a lame duck coach that will continue to struggle. Recruiting and player development are the cornerstone of performance. GMac has failed to even retain enough players to have 3-4 years of development, and his recruiting is going to be hamstrung from here on out as other schools and recruits know he is a lame duck. The prospects for the situation getting much better are bleak.

Good post. Sure guys leave for playing time. That's legit when your window of opportunity is so small. Starters leaving is completely a Mac problem.