"Pedestrian" Purdy

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Once Hutchinson emerged as a weapon the offense took off. He is a decent downfield threat, but we are still missing that jump ball type of WR (Butler type). If we have him emerge as that or someone else step up our offense takes a big step forward.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If ISU wants to get to the top and into the playoff this year we need Purdy to be Elite, just not very good. No more brain fart passes like in the Baylor game, no more forcing passing hoping our TE's and WR will come down with it, but playing smart football.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
That's an incredibly lazy take by Kanell. He should have just said "I only give credit to quarterbacks that throw long passes".

We have the nation's best combination of running back and tight ends. At the same time, our best deep threat option is hurt for a chunk of the year. Clearly not playing to our strengths and recklessly forcing deep balls down the field would make Purdy less pedestrian.

Morons.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Purdy in 2020:

15th out of 124 (2nd in Big 12) qualified QBs in ESPN's QBR at 78.8 (ranges from 0 to 100 with 50 being average). Rattler was 11th at 81.2.

14th out of 124 (1st in Big 12) in Total EPA (Expected Points Added) with 59.0. Rattler was 16th with 56.9.

Rattler was better in sheer passing numbers, but Purdy was better at rushing and MUCH better at avoiding sacks. Those sacks add up (Purdy took only 13 on a combined 378 throws+sacks whereas Rattler took 22 on 339 throws+sacks [I don't have number of scrambles to show true number of dropbacks]).

But sure, he was pedestrian.
Oklahoma keeps raking is really good players from the transfer portal. We're basically standing pat with the exception of kicker. Everybody needs to step it up if We're going to win the CCG.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
Oklahoma keeps raking is really good players from the transfer portal. We're basically standing pat with the exception of kicker. Everybody needs to step it up if We're going to win the CCG.

Don’t discount standing pat and having these guys with the same coaches, and another year with Andrews in the weight room (which I think isn’t getting talked about enough). That, to me, can be be better than brining in new players to a different system. Granted, the players you have better be good, but you get the point.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Nothing like some off season sports chatter to grow the fire.

tenor.gif

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The thing is, OU is essentially maintaining status quo as well. They lost a tackle to the NFL, they gain a tackle from the portal. They lost a highly ranked safety to the portal, they gain one in the portal. Same with trading backup quarterbacks.

What I’d really be worried about is them adding the Bowman kid from Tech. Because, y’know, then he’d basically be guaranteed winning the Heisman in a couple of years.

;)

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Games where Purdy legitimately struggled:
-Louisiana
-Oklahoma State
-First half of Baylor

I think he actually played pretty well in the CCG. He was running for his life, and our running game was getting slowed down more than normal. I would call one of those picks truly bad, and I don't know that's enough to say someone struggled.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
-Louisiana
-Oklahoma State
-First half of Baylor

I think he actually played pretty well in the CCG. He was running for his life, and our running game was getting slowed down more than normal. I would call one of those picks truly bad, and I don't know that's enough to say someone struggled.
The first one hurt worse than the last one.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

I wouldn't be opposed to picking up a few guys, especially a WR and depth on the lines. I think it's hard to go to the portal to "recruit over" all these guys that decided to stay another year when they didn't have to. I would imagine with our roster turnover next year we will utilize the portal more.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
-Louisiana
-Oklahoma State
-First half of Baylor

He played well in the CCG until the the latter stages of that final drive, anyway. Two abysmal decisions to throw ended our chances that game. The first was when he forced a throw to a covered Kolar(?) downfield that missed him when he could have tucked the ball and run for at least 20 yards and a first down. The second was a throw downfield that was picked that really did end the game.

I don't think Purdy is pedestrian; I think he just needs to learn to make better decisions at times.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Ole Danny boy may be dissing Brock because he thinks Purdy agrees with the narrative in Ames that he didn't deserve the Heisman over Troy.

Edit: whoops, it was Wuerfel (sp?). Thanks for the correction.

Last edited:

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I think there were several factors that lead to a drop in production from Purdy. First, ISU threw on 54% of plays in 2019 and 45% in 2020. Obviously, Hall's emergence had a big impact on how the offense was called. Second, ISU didn't have a go-to deep threat in 2020. I can count on one hand how many long TDs throws we had in 2020, which is a trade-off when your best targets are tight ends.

Hopefully, Milton will return at full strength in 2021 and one of our young wide receivers can emerge as a consistent threat. With the offense coming back, I'd expect Purdy to improve on his efficiency metrics, but not necessarily putting up eye-popping statistics.
I don’t think Milton is a deep threat, at least not in the traditional sense. He’s a deep threat in that he can break a 3 yard route into an 80 yard touchdown, but I don’t think he’s a traditional deep threat in that you can just bomb it long to him. I honestly don’t know if we have that guy on our team next year either. Hutch is great, but he seems to be best in that 10 yard catch, break a tackle or two and take it long kind of way. I wish Shaw could be that deep threat, but, while I’m not giving up on him, he’s gonna have to prove it at this point.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron