"Pedestrian" Purdy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
First part of the year they aren't far off. However he had a stretch down the end of the regular season where he was playing as good as any other QB in the country.

Let people think that first part of the season was the norm rather than the rest of his career.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Let people think that first part of the season was the norm rather than the rest of his career.

Yeah sometimes writers will catch one or two games and do the lazy thing and take the low hanging fruit.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Didn't he have multiple games with only mid-20s pass attempts?

That'll never write much of a gunslinger legacy.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Seemed pretty fair. Would of respected it more if he named Texas' QB. Kid looked impressive in the Bowl game.

Purdy needs to step up his game if 2021 exceeds 2020.

Reactions: somecyguy

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I think there were several factors that lead to a drop in production from Purdy. First, ISU threw on 54% of plays in 2019 and 45% in 2020. Obviously, Hall's emergence had a big impact on how the offense was called. Second, ISU didn't have a go-to deep threat in 2020. I can count on one hand how many long TDs throws we had in 2020, which is a trade-off when your best targets are tight ends.

Hopefully, Milton will return at full strength in 2021 and one of our young wide receivers can emerge as a consistent threat. With the offense coming back, I'd expect Purdy to improve on his efficiency metrics, but not necessarily putting up eye-popping statistics.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
The other thing that makes Purdy different is his ability to scramble to not only avoid a sack but also to pick up timely 1st downs. He's not a Lamar Jackson type of running quarterback, but he runs ( I didn't say throws!) more like Patrick Mahomes...picks his spots.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
From the link:

"But I thought this year Brock Purdy was very pedestrian. And you can't win any Power 5 conference with just a pedestrian quarterback."

We were about 40 yards away from winning the conference (that's my recollection of where he threw the pick on the last drive). Seems to me that either a pedestrian QB can win a conference just fine or Brock Purdy is not pedestrian. 40 yards in a one score game should not define this either way.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
From the link:

"But I thought this year Brock Purdy was very pedestrian. And you can't win any Power 5 conference with just a pedestrian quarterback."

We were about 40 yards away from winning the conference (that's my recollection of where he threw the pick on the last drive). Seems to me that either a pedestrian QB can win a conference just fine or Brock Purdy is not pedestrian. 40 yards in a one score game should not define this either way.

Not to mention our 10 conference games had the exact same result as the conference "champ" with the exception of our OKSt loss being a better loss than KSU.

To say ISU was a long ways off winning the B12 is absurd. If that's the case than no second place team or CCG game loser has ever been close to winning a conference.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I think there were several factors that lead to a drop in production from Purdy. First, ISU threw on 54% of plays in 2019 and 45% in 2020. Obviously, Hall's emergence had a big impact on how the offense was called. Second, ISU didn't have a go-to deep threat in 2020. I can count on one hand how many long TDs throws we had in 2020, which is a trade-off when your best targets are tight ends.

Hopefully, Milton will return at full strength in 2021 and one of our young wide receivers can emerge as a consistent threat. With the offense coming back, I'd expect Purdy to improve on his efficiency metrics, but not necessarily putting up eye-popping statistics.

Purdy also didn't play Louisiana-Monroe or any other non-conference cupcakes in 2020.

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
From the link:

IIRC, it was 30 yards before the two penalties.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Purdy in 2020:

15th out of 124 (2nd in Big 12) qualified QBs in ESPN's QBR at 78.8 (ranges from 0 to 100 with 50 being average). Rattler was 11th at 81.2.

14th out of 124 (1st in Big 12) in Total EPA (Expected Points Added) with 59.0. Rattler was 16th with 56.9.

Rattler was better in sheer passing numbers, but Purdy was better at rushing and MUCH better at avoiding sacks. Those sacks add up (Purdy took only 13 on a combined 378 throws+sacks whereas Rattler took 22 on 339 throws+sacks [I don't have number of scrambles to show true number of dropbacks]).

But sure, he was pedestrian.