Paul Rhoads needs to upgrade the talent

Psyclone Brian

Apr 11, 2006
42°00'50"N 93°
Maybe if we do something illegal like Barry Switzer did... and Chizik ...and etc. (buy the players he needs) typically a QB, RB, and a receiver... we might be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat. ...but until then

wyldeone

Jun 13, 2010
Please remember that the class of 2011 is the first real recruiting class from start to finish for this staff!!!! How many of them are actually playing right now? Have faith Cyclone Nation, have faith. We are a work in progress.

Reactions: CloneFan4

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
ISU is alsways going to need to upgrade talent. This team has talent on it. The gap isnt as big as in the past vs other teams. This team needs to learn how to win games. Its not the talent that is losing games.

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
I don't think you are remembering how much talent we didn't have for decades at ISU, now if your Cheeeezik at Auburn you pay for better talent in a paper bag in a dark back street alley, but if you do things the right way you get a three star recruit (thats all we probably ever will get besides the occasional 4 star), and you have to develop that player into a four star talent.

This takes time, this takes coaching and this will mean that we will feel like we are in transition for 4-5 years until depth and talent is established. ISU is better than it was under any other coach so far. Just because we lose a couple of games doesn't mean it snowballs into every game this year we lose...(see Dan Mack teams)....CPR is changing the talent and the culture, that isn't done overnight.

We should be talking about upgrading our BIG12 Officiating talent.............

52342cyclone

Sep 13, 2011
Toledo, IA
you ship jumping p.o.s. why don't you go buy some hawkeye attire. every posting you put on here about the clones is something negative. go to hawkeyenation.com and stay there. don't forget these are 19-20 year old kids playing this game. **** happens. did you win every game as a player? or were you in the band, just ******** about how bad the team is. coach rhoads is by far the best coach we've ever had. not even f'n close. period.

vortex

Jan 30, 2010
We would be in the top 5 talent wise in the big 10.
This (if true) helps ISU in what way? Some of you guys need to forget about Iowa and the Big 10, and worry about the Cyclones. The constant references to Iowa make Cyclone fans look like the jealous little brother.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
This (if true) helps ISU in what way? Some of you guys need to forget about Iowa and the Big 10, and worry about the Cyclones. The constant references to Iowa make Cyclone fans look like the jealous little brother.

in order for iowa state to make it to a bowl game this year, we would need to be Top 20 caliber. thats tough.

in the big 10, we would need to be top 80, and we would also get 1 more non conf game.

clonefanfvr

Oct 8, 2011
:spinny:paul Rhoads is a great coach and recruiter give it time and we will be really good football team.

Very exited.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I stand by every player on this team .... even .. um ... what's his name? ... the guy who misses all of those kicks?
He is #27. Maybe we should change his roster number for better luck.

Hey, at least kicks are not being blocked. The receivers are catching the balls. We won the turnover battle. The penalties were down. Leornard is still tackling hard. Jeremy is still making tackles. Knott is still playing. One concern that I heard was AJ Klein playing in the first half was not at a high level. What happened with that?

AIBClone

Jan 13, 2011
Grimes
I really like our linebackers but it definately showed last night how unathletic they were compared to a quarterback that can get outside of the pocket and make big plays with his feet. Granted, you do not see too many quarterbacks that can do that as well as RGIII can.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Talent Level

Baylor is the most athletic team we have seen all year & I don't think it's even close. The games against OU & OSU could be scary- but I'm not sure we'll see the same level of speed in the other games.

Our talent level is better than the Mac years, especially from a depth perspective. IMO the staff worked hard the first couple years trying to upgrade team speed on defense and OL. I like the direction they have taken with DL recruiting the last couple of years - Irving, Pompei, etc. The Baylor game showed we have a long way to go still in developing our DL to be a physical unit.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
LMAO, riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

What a terrible post.

you think

Indiana
Minnesota
Mich St
Iowa
Penn State
Northwestern
Purdue

are more talented than we are? I think we are even comparable to Mich, Neb, Ill, but not Wisc, OSU,

Michigan relies VERY heavily on their QB and Illiniois is coming along, but we are not out of their league. I don't think we are as talented as them.

You are a fool if you don't think we could hang in the big 10. Are you serious??

CycloneJL

Jun 14, 2010
Cedar Falls
Everyone needs to remember the OP is the same one who has posted these gems on other threads:

Oh GET OVER IT, GUYS. That onside kick is practically straight out of the Jim Walden years. Can't compete with talent? Use gimmicky plays!

Even had that onside kick gone our way, we would have had an uphill battle against their defense to score another touchdown.

IT'S ALL THE REFS' FAULTS!! IF ONLY THEY WOULD HAVE GIVEN US THAT FUMBLE WE'D BE ROLLING!!!!! DAMN REFS!!!!

I think penalties and mistakes will always be a problem under Paul Rhoads' coaching. It is the natural result of stressing emotionalism the way that he appears to. He knows that we will almost always be lacking in overall athletic ability compared to many of the other teams that we play (especially most in the Big 12, such as Texas), so he tries to level the playing field by getting his players to play on emotion. I think this will always result in mistakes and penalties, though.

*hugs*

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron