Paul Rhoads needs to upgrade the talent

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
The Cyclones are in last place in turnover margin and near the bottom in penalty yards, yet their record is three wins, two losses. I think this team is way more talented than most people credit them including the OP. Take away the mistakes and this team maybe undefeated like KSU. Mizzou isn't exactly lighting the world on fire either. If the 'Clones make further improvement in eliminating mistakes, they have more than a decent chance of winning at Columbia; they gotta stop shooting themselves in the head every game.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
The Cyclones are in last place in turnover margin and near the bottom in penalty yards, yet their record is three wins, two losses. I think this team is way more talented than most people credit them including the OP. Take away the mistakes and this team maybe undefeated like KSU. Mizzou isn't exactly lighting the world on fire either. If the 'Clones make further improvement in eliminating mistakes, they have more than a decent chance of winning at Columbia; they gotta stop shooting themselves in the head every game.

Agreed. I really don't think talent, or lack there of is the problem. Sure, it'd be great to have 5 stars all over the field, but I don't see that in our immediate future. I agree with those that have said that we've got more talent now than the vast majority of ISU teams in recent memory. Anybody that couldn't see that this schedule would be a bear was living with their head in the sand. If we continue to build the program we will continue to see better talent on campus.

Now, if you want to start a thread that states something along the lines that "ISU needs to get a ****-load smarter and execute better on Saturdays" then I'll gladly fall in line behind that sentiment. We have been BY FAR our own worst enemies, and there's blame enough to be spread to everyone that is a part of the program. Hopefully CPR and company put in their best week of preparation yet and it shows on the field in what I feel is a winnable game against Mizzou.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
Paul Rhoads adressed the situation at his press conference today.

A reporter posed the question to him, "Coach Rhoads, a poster on CycloneFanatic, your number 1 source for Cyclone message board banter, named Hugs4ISU came up with a theory following your recent loss to Baylor. He suggests that maybe you need to upgrade the talent on your teams going forward. Can you comment on that idea and if you and your coaching staff will take this into consideration?"

CPR: "To be honest? That's not really something I've considered. Potentially, I guess I could see how that might help in the win/loss column. The thing is, it feels so much better winning 5 or 6 games with subpar talent than it does with a bunch of 5 star recruits, just ask Texas. They certaintly felt the sting of jumping on the 'talent bandwagon.' We really just don't want to get to the point where we have the potential to compete for conference championships and double digit wins each year. I think my coaching staff would agree with me that we may actually have too much talent this year and we might have to dial the recruiting back a little bit for a few years."

Sorry to burst your bubble Hugs, but it sounds like CPR isn't buying your crazy get-rich-quick scheme.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Yur rite as they say....but I will only give rhoads the rest of this year and then 2012 & 2013 to get me to my next bowl game.

If we @ Ia State don't make a bowl game by then its time to look for a new football coach and knowing Jamie P, if there is NO Bowl Game there will be NO Coach Paul Rhoads....

Come on You Mighty Cyclones I have seen you whip mizzou in columbia since the days of Earle Bruce...Lets Whip the Tigers Come Sat Afternoon....:yes:
I would agree with the bold...next year will be a great year to see how we are really improving...if we cant get 6 wins and make it to a bowl game next year then it is really time for a meltdown

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Are you high? This is one of the most talented ISU teams since 2005.