Paul Rhoads needs to upgrade the talent

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
We lost to the 2nd best team in the big 10 (nebraska) by 1 point in OT and beat them the year before that.

But yeah, i totally see how they are a different world of talent than we are. Our coaching is just LIGHT years ahead of Nebraska's thats what kept us in the game

yeah right

Sandman

Oct 13, 2009
France
you think

Indiana
Minnesota
Mich St
Iowa
Penn State
Northwestern
Purdue

are more talented than we are? I think we are even comparable to Mich, Neb, Ill, but not Wisc, OSU,

Michigan relies VERY heavily on their QB and Illiniois is coming along, but we are not out of their league. I don't think we are as talented as them.

You are a fool if you don't think we could hang in the big 10. Are you serious??

Michigan st, Penn st, and Iowa are far more talented than we are. We generally play better than we are but those schools out-recruit us by miles. Especially Michigan St.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009
Recruiting has not really improved from the Mac years. We do better based on improved plays and schemes, particularly on defense. But aside from a spike during Chizik's 2 years -- yes, I really am saying that Chizik was a better recruiter than Paul Rhoads -- recruiting has not improved. The result is a big talent gap between ISU and just about any team in the old Big 12 South.

Your dreaming if you think the talent level now isn't better then the Mac years! Look around the Big 12...how many "bad" teams are there? Kansas? 5 out of the 6 teams from the "old south" are ranked! The talent level in the Big 12 is unreal right now but we are getting better and improving every year.

And by the way, Chizik is one of the best recruiters in the nation so of course he is better at it than Rhoads.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Michigan st, Penn st, and Iowa are far more talented than we are. We generally play better than we are but those schools out-recruit us by miles. Especially Michigan St.

We generally play better than we are? I'm not sure what you are getting at.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
you think

Indiana
Minnesota
Mich St
Iowa
Penn State
Northwestern
Purdue

are more talented than we are? I think we are even comparable to Mich, Neb, Ill, but not Wisc, OSU,

Michigan relies VERY heavily on their QB and Illiniois is coming along, but we are not out of their league. I don't think we are as talented as them.

You are a fool if you don't think we could hang in the big 10. Are you serious??

Holy Fail Batman. Just because we may be able to beat some of these teams means we have more talent than them?

Iowa, MSU, Penn State are all easily have more talented than us.

Think before you post.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
you think

Indiana
Minnesota
Mich St
Iowa
Penn State
Northwestern
Purdue

Indiana - no
Minnesota - hell no
Mich St - clearly
Iowa - maybe not this year, but typically yes
Penn State - historically yes, but I think JoePa's age is starting to affect his ability to recruit.
Northwestern - debatable
Purdue - - at least since their really good coach retired (his name is slipping me)

I do think we could compete with most of the B1G. About the only teams I don't think we'd be able to compete with are Wisconsin, Michigan, OSU, and I think we'd have difficulties with MSU and Illinois.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Am I the only one that is tired of the epic meltdowns posters on this website have after every loss?

They lost two weeks in a row to ranked teams and had plenty of opportunities to possibly win both of them as well. I think we need to stop pointing fingers at individuals and just say its the whole Cyclone football organization that needs to continue to improve; nobody on the team played perfect last night. I think it is easy to blame it on a lack of talent or on our coaching staff but I think this is one of the most talented teams we have had in several years. Our head coach gets the players into the games way more physically (playing to win vs playing not to lose) and emotionally (outside of the Iowa game with coach Mac) than the previous two head coaches did.

This team has shown glimpses in every game this season of how great they could be, I firmly believe we still have a great opportunity to make a bowl game this season. I think Mizzou, Texas Tech, Kansas, and K-state are all winnable games.

Reactions: CycloneErik

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Holy Fail Batman. Just because we may be able to beat some of these teams means we have more talent than them?

Iowa, MSU, Penn State are all easily have more talented than us.

Think before you post.

I could argue this all day. Don't tell me I'm an idiot or call me Batman because youre opinion isn't any more worthy than mine.

Reactions: CyBobby

driegner

Jun 9, 2010
Columbus, OH
you ship jumping p.o.s. why don't you go buy some hawkeye attire. every posting you put on here about the clones is something negative. go to hawkeyenation.com and stay there. don't forget these are 19-20 year old kids playing this game. **** happens. did you win every game as a player? or were you in the band, just ******** about how bad the team is. coach rhoads is by far the best coach we've ever had. not even f'n close. period.

Don't knock the band! We were always positive! Even during the dark, dark Chizik years!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
This is a work in progress. Give it time this is still only year 3.

Yur rite as they say....but I will only give roads the rest of this year and then 2012 & 2013 to get me to my next bowl game.

If we @ Ia State don't make a bowl game by then its time to look for a new football coach and knowing Jamie P, if there is NO Bowl Game there will be NO Coach Paul Rhoads....

Come on You Mighty Cyclones I have seen you whip mizzou in columbia since the days of Earle Bruce...Lets Whip the Tigers Come Sat Afternoon....:yes:

Last edited:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
ISU will always have less talent. You just have to find a way to win anyway.

NFL draft picks in the last 10 years.

OU-45
Texas-45
Texas AM-23
KSU-22
Mizzou-20
Texas Tech-18
OSU- 16
Baylor-12
KU-11
ISU-8

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I really like our linebackers but it definately showed last night how unathletic they were compared to a quarterback that can get outside of the pocket and make big plays with his feet. Granted, you do not see too many quarterbacks that can do that as well as RGIII can.

Huh? Unathletic? They were often in pass coverage before breaking to come after the QB.

If your definition of athletic means being able to run down RGIII, then who is athetlic?

And a few times when RGIII got outside, he first cut under the defensive end pressure that got too deep.

My only issue with the linebackers is the times we got a hand on him but didn't bring him down.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Recruiting has not really improved from the Mac years. We do better based on improved plays and schemes, particularly on defense. But aside from a spike during Chizik's 2 years -- yes, I really am saying that Chizik was a better recruiter than Paul Rhoads -- recruiting has not improved. The result is a big talent gap between ISU and just about any team in the old Big 12 South.

ISU is way more talented than they were under Mac. Schedule is just 10x harder.

Yes. We currently have 6 Big 12 teams in the top 25! (60%) On this week in 2005, the Big 12 had 3 teams in the top 25 and one of them was dropped out of the top 25 in the next few weeks (25%). In 2002 on this week there were 5 Big 12 teams in the top 25. (42%).

On top that we have one more conference game then we did during the Mac era.

I think it is safe to say that our schedule is much tougher now then it ever has been. I'm starting to feel like we are playing in the SEC. Outside of Kansas, is there a truly bad team in the conference? I would guess that if we were in the Pac or the B1G we would finish this season with a 8 wins with a chance for 9. If the Big 12 can stay together, there is the likely chance that we could jump the SEC at some point as the most dominate football conference.

Cyclophile1

Dec 14, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Yes. We currently have 6 Big 12 teams in the top 25! (60%) On this week in 2005, the Big 12 had 3 teams in the top 25 and one of them was dropped out of the top 25 in the next few weeks (25%). In 2002 on this week there were 5 Big 12 teams in the top 25. (42%).

On top that we have one more conference game then we did during the Mac era.

I think it is safe to say that our schedule is much tougher now then it ever has been. I'm starting to feel like we are playing in the SEC. Outside of Kansas, is there a truly bad team in the conference? I would guess that if we were in the Pac or the B1G we would finish this season with a 8 wins with a chance for 9. If the Big 12 can stay together, there is the likely chance that we could jump the SEC at some point as the most dominate football conference.

It's very frustrating to see that we have upgraded the talent overall some and then our level competition closes the gap and maybe even extends it a little. There is no question in my mind that we have better overall talent up and down the roster compared to all the teams the McCarney era with the exception of 2000 and 2005.

I have seen all the K-State's games so far and I don't think we're very different from them athletically. Big problems with turnovers and penalities have cost us whereas they have played conservative, clean football and appear to be improving as a team. I don't see a huge talent gap versus Missouri or Tech either, although both have a marginal edge in opinion. I've seen better parts of 4 KU games and they are clearly at the bottom, especially on defense. They have a couple of skill guys I would like to have but they are poor for the most part.

Overall, I see us upgrading but still below average in the BIGXII which is just scary. OU and OSU are going to abuse us, but otherwise we should be in the rest of these games.

Cheers

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
how do the new recruits look that were redshirted? james white looks very good at running back. will standard and nealy break into the running back picture??
steele jantz is our current qb. will richardson(who is the outstanding qb recruit from florida)challenge jantz????

we lose some very good offensive linemen in osemele and hicks(is hicks a senior?) i think we need some help in our ol if we lose both osemele and hicks.
i think we have plenty of returnees on defense.leonard johnson graduates.he will be hard to replace.
any other concerns???

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
we definitely need some kickers. i surely hope the kid from ankeny can hit extra points and field goals. that would be a huge improvement!!!!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron