Our D - better than advertised

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Ruh roh. Somebody's poisoned the waterhole!

Tell you what... Just to throw a bone to the few of you whiney little sheeple who can't handle a discussion featuring differing points of view I will take a leave of absence until the week before game numero uno. There's an incessant amount of kicking and screaming going on.

I'm here to discuss football. That's all I do. I can't help the fact my opinion is different than yours. Well I suppose I could help that fact, but then it wouldn't be my opinion. I just speak my mind. Some of you really need to use the ignore button if you don't want to see it. I've said a number of times that won't bother me. I know I'm on a Cyclone message board. If you don't want to see my opinion you don't have to. Pretty simple concept.

However, the majority of discussions we've had over the past couple of months have been beaten to death and there won't be anything of substance to discuss for quite some time. So I'm fine with taking a small break from the CyFan boards until the season is right around the corner. Hope you Nancy's thicken your skin a little bit before then!

Btw... There's a sliver of a chance that Iowa could land Justin Hilliard this morning (top ILB in the country). I'm not getting my hopes up because he's probably going to OSU or ND, but there's always a chance! That would be amazing in itself, but it also sounds like he and Jashon Cornell will likely be attending the same school so if it happens it could be a two-for-one bargain!

See you ladies and gents around the last week of August! Here's to hoping all Cyclones and Hawks stay outta jail in the meantime!

One more thing... Someone might want to tell the ISU A.D. that this is false advertising:

BraHsKkCMAAgLgR.jpg

Rhoads is 27-36
Earl Bruce was 28-28
AW Ristine was 36-10-1

Pretty funny stuff.

Last edited:

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
ISU fans should not have to be paranoid that ANY AND ALL mention of the beloved hawks spirals into an armada of hawk douches ******** all over a thread. We don't need you or any other hawk fan utterly destroying an interesting thread with your self serving compiments of your team or even any defense of your team that ALWAYS ends with some kind of douchy putdown of ISU. You have hawk boards for that crap...not that you would have any time to spend on them. I can't even imagine you have a job with the amount of time you spend on a rival board.

This /\

The trolls have been running rampant in bball and football threads lately. It's gotten out of hand.

upstateclone

Sep 26, 2013
South Cackalacky

Tell you what... Just to throw a bone to the few of you whiney little sheeple who can't handle a discussion featuring differing points of view I will take a leave of absence until the week before game numero uno. There's an incessant amount of kicking and screaming going on.

I'm here to discuss Iowa football. That's all I do. I can't help the fact my opinion is different than yours. Well I suppose I could help that fact, but then it wouldn't be my opinion. I just speak my mind. Some of you really need to use the ignore button if you don't want to see it. I've said a number of times that won't bother me. I know I'm on a Cyclone message board. If you don't want to see my opinion you don't have to. Pretty simple concept.

However, the majority of discussions we've had over the past couple of months have been beaten to death and there won't be anything of substance to discuss for quite some time. So I'm fine with taking a small break from the CyFan boards until the season is right around the corner. Hope you Nancy's thicken your skin a little bit before then!

Btw... There's a sliver of a chance that Iowa could land Justin Hilliard this morning (top ILB in the country). I'm not getting my hopes up because he's probably going to OSU or ND, but there's always a chance! That would be amazing in itself, but it also sounds like he and Jashon Cornell will likely be attending the same school so if it happens it could be a two-for-one bargain!

See you ladies and gents around the last week of August! Here's to hoping all Cyclones and Hawks stay outta jail in the meantime!

One more thing... Someone might want to tell the ISU A.D. that this is false advertising:

BraHsKkCMAAgLgR.jpg

Rhoads is 27-36
Earl Bruce was 28-28
AW Ristine was 36-10-1

Pretty funny stuff.

FTFY

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

I'm here to discuss football. That's all I do. I can't help the fact my opinion is different than yours. Well I suppose I could help that fact, but then it wouldn't be my opinion. I just speak my mind. Some of you really need to use the ignore button if you don't want to see it. I've said a number of times that won't bother me. I know I'm on a Cyclone message board. If you don't want to see my opinion you don't have to. Pretty simple concept.

BraHsKkCMAAgLgR.jpg

Rhoads is 27-36
Earl Bruce was 28-28
AW Ristine was 36-10-1

Pretty funny stuff.

It doesn't say anywhere in that picture from the AD that he's the winningest 5-year coach, does it? It says he's the most successful. There's no false advertising in that. In fact, "success" in this instance might refer only to the fact that the HaLkeyes accused ISU of stealing from their locker room, only to find out (under Paul Rhoads' tenure) that it turned out to be a typical HaLkeye fan who was the petty thief. It might classify success as beating the HaLkeyes more than the other 5-year coaches. Success comes in many ways, which might be quite foreign to you. But if you keep working really hard I bet you can get your GED someday and move out of your trailer.

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
This is pretty much exactly how I'd respond. The only reason the current LB's for Iowa haven't seen the field is because of how talented the 4 year starters were in front of them (look at all of their accolades). That's far from the case with ISU's defensive line.
Just because the starters are good doesn't mean the backups are also good. It only means they aren't as good as the starters. You have no real idea about the size of the talent/performance gap between the two units.

FWIW, I don't think the ISU defense will be worth a **** this year.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA

BraHsKkCMAAgLgR.jpg

Rhoads is 27-36
Earl Bruce was 28-28
AW Ristine was 36-10-1

Pretty funny stuff.

Don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out, Jon.

Section 110 is Jon Miller, right? Has to find a way to get someone to respond on a message board - any message board - so come over to CF & start trolling.

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas

BraHsKkCMAAgLgR.jpg

Rhoads is 27-36
Earl Bruce was 28-28
AW Ristine was 36-10-1

Pretty funny stuff.

We don't care about Justin Hilliard or Jashon Cornell. Remember this is a Cyclone forum? You just can't help yourself. This is not a hok board. It serves only your self serving purpose to interject Hok garbage into every thread. Please don't come back after your "leave of absence" break for summer.

Last edited:

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
Better defensive stats for ISU: number (national rank - out of 125 teams)

Points per game: 36.7 (106)
Yards per game: 463.7 (102)
Yards per play: 5.9 (94)
Points per drive: 2.29 (79)

Contrary to popular belief, ISU wasn't on defense the whole game:

Percent time of possession for opponent: 48.28% (41)

Whatever excuse you may have, looks pretty obvious that the defense just wasn't good. And it's concerning because we still aren't going to be able to apply any pressure on the QB. That doesn't bode well for inexperienced defensive backs against a pass happy conference.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Are the new Juco D-linemen in town yet? How are they looking?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Better defensive stats for ISU: number (national rank - out of 125 teams)

Points per game: 36.7 (106)
Yards per game: 463.7 (102)
Yards per play: 5.9 (94)
Points per drive: 2.29 (79)

Contrary to popular belief, ISU wasn't on defense the whole game:

Percent time of possession for opponent: 48.28% (41)

Whatever excuse you may have, looks pretty obvious that the defense just wasn't good. And it's concerning because we still aren't going to be able to apply any pressure on the QB. That doesn't bode well for inexperienced defensive backs against a pass happy conference.

Face it. They both sucked last year.

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Our best fiend Phil Steele has ISU 2014 defense ranked #127 in scoring defense, #127 overall defense, and #126 in pass defense (out of 128 teams).

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Our best fiend Phil Steele has ISU 2014 defense ranked #127 in scoring defense, #127 overall defense, and #126 in pass defense (out of 128 teams).
I think he might be spot on. It has potential to be one of the worst defenses in Iowa State history.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
There is exactly one thing that will make me believe this defense won't be straight up bad. Their play in the fall. No words are capable of doing it for me.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Usually when we see pre season mags predicting one side of our team being on of the bottom 2 or 3 in the entire country it usually does not happen. Just because we are inexperienced at certain positions doesn't mean our defense will be bad. Although we will be playing one new corner and two new safeties I think that Cotton and Mutcherson are both more athletic than Bloom and Washington were. Bloom and Wash were decent but didn't have great speed or quickness on the field. I also think our LB core will be 5-6 deep and all will play and rotate. Harris will be productive, sounds like the light turned on for Miller and Knott(if healthy and sounds like he is) is very smart and a good athlete. As for the D line, yea they might not be great(when have they been?) but with Jensen back and if just one of the JUCO's is playable on the interior then we should be better than most would have thought 6 months ago. Morrisey is a stud and we have 3 other DE's coming that are unknown(who knows 1 or 2 could be studs?).

Further I can see Wally changing things up this year and we may see a defense that has great speed but inexperience and we may see a lot more blitzing than in years past. Wally knows what he has and if we don't have a D that can just bend but doesn't break than Wally will be blitzing every other play to apply pressure. I for one think that this defense is going to be fun to watch and see grow.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron