Our D - better than advertised

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Usually when we see pre season mags predicting one side of our team being on of the bottom 2 or 3 in the entire country it usually does not happen. Just because we are inexperienced at certain positions doesn't mean our defense will be bad. Although we will be playing one new corner and two new safeties I think that Cotton and Mutcherson are both more athletic than Bloom and Washington were. Bloom and Wash were decent but didn't have great speed or quickness on the field. I also think our LB core will be 5-6 deep and all will play and rotate. Harris will be productive, sounds like the light turned on for Miller and Knott(if healthy and sounds like he is) is very smart and a good athlete. As for the D line, yea they might not be great(when have they been?) but with Jensen back and if just one of the JUCO's is playable on the interior then we should be better than most would have thought 6 months ago. Morrisey is a stud and we have 3 other DE's coming that are unknown(who knows 1 or 2 could be studs?).

Further I can see Wally changing things up this year and we may see a defense that has great speed but inexperience and we may see a lot more blitzing than in years past. Wally knows what he has and if we don't have a D that can just bend but doesn't break than Wally will be blitzing every other play to apply pressure. I for one think that this defense is going to be fun to watch and see grow.

Yikes!