One thing that comforts me...

balken

Apr 14, 2006
JP’s situation is similar to Ed Norton’s in prison in American History X. He’s no pansy himself but he’s likely to get overrun in the showers by a bunch of guys banded together. We all know what happens next.

Unless it was just role playing and he wanted to be overrun.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I said the same thing on HN, would you rather have Barta or Pollard leading this situation?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I'm not going to read all the responses on the thread, but I do want to chime it. Chris - you are spot on with your take. JP is the best thing that has ever happened to ISU and I can't think of anyone I would rather have working on our behalf (no matter what the issue).

Great post!

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I agree 100%. If BVD was here right now, I would be so scared I would be sick!

If BVD were here we would have already closed up shop and headed straight for the Sun Belt Conference. Our financial position would be a total disaster and we would probably have already cut several more athletic programs. Needless to say without JP we would be totally screwed already and probably would have had to drop out of the Big XII for financial reasons. Yeah this current situation sucks but I am glad that we may be forced to switch conferences against our will rather then switching conferences because our athletic department was a trainwreck. Big difference.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Agreed. If ISU starts to lose faculty and research money, I could see programs and certifications being cut from various colleges within the Uni. This is bad. Very bad. The phrase "I have a degree from ISU" could mean something far, far less in the near future.

You're in the B12. You aren't getting glowing accolades now for academics because of that. Even if ISU ends up in a non-BCS conference it's not going to significantly impact your academics negatively.

In fact, getting into some of the non-BCS conferences would probably actually bolster ISU's academic benefits if anything.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
You're in the B12. You aren't getting glowing accolades now for academics because of that. Even if ISU ends up in a non-BCS conference it's not going to significantly impact your academics negatively.

In fact, getting into some of the non-BCS conferences would probably actually bolster ISU's academic benefits if anything.

True, but the Big 10 can make or break your academic rankings, to a degree. Take out Iowa, IU, and MSU from the Big 10, and they are ISU.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

I'm going to TOTALLY disagree with this. The Big 12 provides Iowa State with research money. Iowa State isn't going to pull all of that on their own. Anything short of the Big 10 hurts Iowa State BADLY. No research money = no research = no quality faculty = less than acceptable programs.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
I'm going to TOTALLY disagree with this. The Big 12 provides Iowa State with research money. Iowa State isn't going to pull all of that on their own. Anything short of the Big 10 hurts Iowa State BADLY. No research money = no research = no quality faculty = less than acceptable programs.

You're operating on the faulty premise that the B12 is going to be around to provide research money.

By the way, do you have a reference to those figures?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
You're operating on the faulty premise that the B12 is going to be around to provide research money.

By the way, do you have a reference to those figures?

Isn't he pointing out as much?. I read his post as "given the Big 12 will not be around to provide the $$$ for research that it currently does, ISU needs to find a new home. If that home is not the Big 10 or Pac-10, it will hurt the research investment".

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Isn't he pointing out as much?. I read his post as "given the Big 12 will not be around to provide the $$$ for research that it currently does, ISU needs to find a new home. If that home is not the Big 10 or Pac-10, it will hurt the research investment".

I suppose he is, but he still isn't providing any figures to back up his argument.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I suppose he is, but he still isn't providing any figures to back up his argument.

Did you?

Reactions: jdoggivjc

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
This thing is too big for most AD's. They are pretty much powerless. What are they supposed to do? Get millions of people to move into their state? Or turn a below average football team into a Powerhouse with a full 90,000 seat stadium?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Whatever excuses you have to make...the fact is no one here is able to refute it, or even demonstrate why their perception is correct.

Have you refuted DaddyMac? Seems like you should be able to recognize a good excuse when you see one.

Back to my "perception" that the Big 10 raises the academics of the institutions that join:

Penn State University is proof positive that associating with the Big Ten would most likely enhance any university, professors and administrators there say.
In 1990, when Penn State joined the conference, the university's professor salaries were lower than those of their new counterparts. Penn State also brought in fewer top-notch students and fewer federal research dollars than many other Big Ten schools, said Nichols, the former faculty president.
Now the college is virtually indistinguishable from other Big Ten schools. It collected and spent some $400 million in federal research money in 2008 — the 15th highest total in the country — and was rated the 15th best public university in the country last year.
Professor salaries have increased. So has the quality of faculty hires, incoming students and virtually every other measurable characteristic, Nichols said.
“I think at Penn State we said, ‘Well, we're a Big Ten university now. Let's act like one,” he said. “It raised the bar.”

-from http://www.omaha.com/article/20100609/NEWS01/706099919

Last edited:

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
New to this message board thing?

There will always be people that criticize JP for certain things.. Like I did for the transfer letter, but that doesn't make me a "hater". In fact, I really like JP. I just disagree with the notion people come out of the woodwork to bash JP just to "hate".

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Have you refuted DaddyMac? Seems like you should be able to recognize a good excuse when you see one.

Back to my "perception" that the Big 10 raises the academics of the institutions that join:

Clearly being in the B10 is an advantage. I have not contested that.

I am just saying that if your concern is academics then being out of the B12 and being in a non-BCS conference isn't automatically a major step down.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Clearly being in the B10 is an advantage. I have not contested that.

I am just saying that if your concern is academics then being out of the B12 and being in a non-BCS conference isn't automatically a major step down.

Link?
Kidding, kind of.

In 2004/2005 the Big 12 was last in average amount of federal $$ brought in for research. Old data, but probably not outdated. New data can be found at http://mup.asu.edu/research2009.pdf. However, what non-BCS conference that plays major college football (or basketball for that matter) would have a higher ranking? The MAC?

Until you can provide facts that support your claim, your posts on this topic are nothing more than being arrogant and ignorant...

Last edited: