One thing that comforts me...

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
No, I don't think people are calling him. I just hope he is calling others, but the department has been soooooo quite lately, it gives the impression that nothing is happening, and maybe that is the reality. Maybe, everyone Pollard calls says they don't want to talk until something firm is decided. I don't know. It's just unsettling.

That's what I mean. I'm sure JP has gone through his rolodex a couple times over.

I'm sure plenty of people are calling JP as well (see KU, KSU, etc). Maybe not necessarily who we want, but still....

How much did you hear prior to Gmac, Freddy, Chizless, CPR, KJ? Doesn't mean it'll turn out the best for us, but it's not like JP is big on "status updates". :wink:

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I have two ahead of JP and GG:

1. Dosry
  2. Azn4cy
  3. JP and GG
Dosry would do anything to appease the appropriate parties. And I do mean anything. Azn, not sure what he would do but I am sure it would be effective. Then JP and GG.

QFT.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa
Chris, I also love what JP has done for ISU ATHLETICS. But this is bigger than that. Conference affiliation affects many, many things beyonds sports. ADs SHOULDN'T be in the drivers seat here.

Frankly, I've gone from not caring about this issue to being very angry about the whole situation. I have a vested interest in the well-being of my school. The game of football shouldn't decide the future of institutions.

If this is truly your concern then getting out of the B12 shouldn't be much of an issue. What has the B12 affiliation really merited for ISU in terms of academics? If your primary concern is truly conference academia and not athletics then this question probably should have been raised long before athletics drove it to this point.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That's what I mean. I'm sure JP has gone through his rolodex a couple times over.

I'm sure plenty of people are calling JP as well (see KU, KSU, etc). Maybe not necessarily who we want, but still....

How much did you hear prior to Gmac, Freddy, Chizless, CPR, KJ? Doesn't mean it'll turn out the best for us, but it's not like JP is big on "status updates". :wink:

...and because this all stretches WAYYYYYYYY beyond the accepts of athletics, I guarantee you Geoffrey has been about 3x as proactive as Pollard.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Chris, I also love what JP has done for ISU ATHLETICS. But this is bigger than that. Conference affiliation affects many, many things beyonds sports. ADs SHOULDN'T be in the drivers seat here.

Frankly, I've gone from not caring about this issue to being very angry about the whole situation. I have a vested interest in the well-being of my school. The game of football shouldn't decide the future of institutions.[/QUOTE]

Well, it is. Especially if the B10 invites MIZZ. ISU does not want to be surrounded by CIC schools.

Agreed. If ISU starts to lose faculty and research money, I could see programs and certifications being cut from various colleges within the Uni. This is bad. Very bad. The phrase "I have a degree from ISU" could mean something far, far less in the near future.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006

Completely valid point, and it is the only thing that is keeping me from not worrying about it.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I would feel better if JP were in a rental car traveling through Minneapolis, Madison, Iowa City, Evanston, Champaign, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, West Lafayette, Bloomington, Columbus, and University Park over the last few days rather than taking the Iowa State Tour bus through Harlan, Omaha, Sioux City, and Okaboji. I would prefer he be out in the waiting room of every University President's Office in the Big Ten looking for the opportunity to market the Cyclones and put national media misconceptions to rest. Personal visits to Jim Delany (Big Ten Commissioner) and the outside consulting firm the Big Ten has hired would be absolutely critical as well. You can do a great deal by phone and behind the scenes; however, personal visits would be most helpful.

In the end would it make the difference? Probably not. However, tens of millions of dollars are at stake. If there is less than a 5% chance of making a difference you have got to take it.

That being said, I am going to fully support the Cyclones no matter what.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
See, that's just ridiculous. Why do you assume there will be "haters"? Even the JP detractors mostly admit that he has been a positive as far as revenue goes. Whether you disagree with his transfers letter or whatever shouldn't determine if you are a JP hater or not.

I think a very large majority of the fan base is very happy with JP and feel comfortable with him at the helm.

I agree, but if you think there can be a JP thread without "haters" coming out of the woodwork, you are crazy.

It's inevitable.

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Fair point.

At this point, every AD/President etc. out there is essentially a politician, pleading for his or her school.

If it actually comes down to that, I like where we are at.

God, I hope you are right Chris. I think it is desperation time and I, like a lot of others in this, hate to be bystanders while watching a car crash - everything right now is in slow motion.

I have written the Governor (Last Sunday), both US Senators, Boswell and State Sen Gronstal (Thanks for the tip Deace). Not because I'm hopeful they can or will do something, but because I think it can't hurt. When it's all over, I don't want to think that I could of helped in some small way and didn't. For the rest that have not written - it is such a small thing to do that takes no effort. Sure, the note is nothing on its own, but in numbers can be something. It's an election year, and these people are motivated.

I have been a Cyclone since 1978. I love this University and support it, albeit meagerly (two kids in college), the best I can. This is close to my heart.

Reactions: PGreen ISU '92

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I agree, but if you think there can be a JP thread without "haters" coming out of the woodwork, you are crazy.

It's inevitable.

Especially if/when the Big XII disintegrates and ISU isn't left with a seat (or at least a BCS seat)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I am not really comforted by the fact that GG and JP are our leaders right now. And no offense to them, because I think they are good leaders who have done a lot to help this university. They are just absolutely powerless to effect an outcome that is as good for ISU as the Big 12 has been. They are equally as powerless to keep this athletic department and university on the same level as it has been in the Big 12. As others have said, if ISU is surrounded by CIC schools the quality of the university could easily be diminished and that goes well, well beyond the football field.

JP’s situation is similar to Ed Norton’s in prison in American History X. He’s no pansy himself but he’s likely to get overrun in the showers by a bunch of guys banded together. We all know what happens next.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
If BVD were here right now, he wouldn't even be able to move from his desk because his pants would be so heavily filled with his own poop.

Are you guys freaking kidding me?

If BVD was here he'd be finding out about this sometime next week....

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
God, I hope you are right Chris. I think it is desperation time and I, like a lot of others in this, hate to be bystanders while watching a car crash - everything right now is in slow motion.

I have written the Governor (Last Sunday), both US Senators, Boswell and State Sen Gronstal (Thanks for the tip Deace). Not because I'm hopeful they can or will do something, but because I think it can't hurt. When it's all over, I don't want to think that I could of helped in some small way and didn't. For the rest that have not written - it is such a small thing to do that takes no effort. Sure, the note is nothing on its own, but in numbers can be something. It's an election year, and these people are motivated.

I have been a Cyclone since 1978. I love this University and support it, albeit meagerly (two kids in college), the best I can. This is close to my heart.

NobodyBeatsCy should be our CycloneFanatic Poster of the Month!!! God bless this man!!! I did all of the same things and encourage everybody else to e-mail their elected officials today.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Good grief isuno1fan- The criticism JP receives on this board when he does something foolish doesn't mean people hate him. Compare the kind of slams directed at BVD just in this thread to the criticism JP occasionally receives, and there's no comparison. I trust JP with looking out for our best interests, though I agree with those that say there isn't a lot he can do other than politic with other a.d.s. But he did say some derogatory things about other conference schools at the bowl game pep rally that didn't go over too well. And I'm sure there's no love from the Iowa administration for JP, so he has been somewhat controversial, which may not help us in this situation. As a fairly young first time a.d. I doubt he has a lot of connections or relationships compared to many other a.d.s. JP has said and done some good things for ISU and some bad things, so I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other on how he'll do here, if he can have any effect at all.

ontheverge

Sep 14, 2009
JP, has been in some tough spots before at ISU and so far has done well. This is far and away the biggest thing to unfold on any AD.s watch ever at ISU. If he can pull something together out of this mess it will be nothing short of amazing.