OL splits

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I talked to the dad of a current OL at the CR tailgate tour and he said that the splits on the OL were going to be huge next year. I know TT does this and I remember Pacific beating an ISU team with this type of line play. Obviously this will require quick, lighter lineman to close the gaps and is sounds like the OL is getting lighter. What advantage does this really give a team?

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
Re: OL spilts

1. it spreads the edge rush out away from the QB so it makes their job more difficult

2. it puts more pressure on the lineman individually because there is less doubling and more 1 on 1, and also gives the DL a bigger gap to shoot. (in pass pro)

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I talked to the dad of a current OL at the CR tailgate tour and he said that the splits on the OL were going to be huge next year. I know TT does this and I remember Pacific beating an ISU team with this type of line play. Obviously this will require quick, lighter lineman to close the gaps and is sounds like the OL is getting lighter. What advantage does this really give a team?

Typical OL splits are 1-2 feet wide (generally tighter on the interior, getting to be slightly wider on the edges). However, in the spread the OL splits are usually 3 feet wide or sometimes more, which is the basis for your question. Based on my experience, there are several factors for the wide splits on the spread offense. By widening out the defensive front, you create wider passing lines that don't require a QB to be 6' 5" in order to find them, as well as opening the middle of the field for a passing attack by forcing the DEs to keep containment on the QB/RB by lining up on the outside shoulder of an OT that has taken this wide split. Just as it creates wider passing lanes, it can also create wider running lanes for a RB on the sometimes rare draw play or inside zone by spreading out the defense to account for more turf. As an OL it helps make pass blocking easier. Almost every defense tends to make adjustments to their alignment for blitzes to make their success more likely - either by changing parts of their stance or their physical alignment on the LOS. An experienced OL can pick up on these changes and know what to expect based off studying the opponent prior to the game, thus in the spread these changes are more easily noticed because of the wide alignment of the OL. In general, the wide splits simply make it farther for a DL to go in order to get to the QB. Specifically as an OT, the wider alignment makes you job easier, as it cuts off the arc that a speed rusher could take outside of you to get to the QB. This allows for an OT to get into proper position to cut the defender off from the QB easier and quicker, thus allowing him to concentrate on the technique for the block. Also given the wide splits, the OT doesn't have to go as far to reach this cutoff point. As an explanation of the cutoff point, imagine a straight line from the DE to the QB; the wider the OL splits out, the more directly this line will go through the OT, meaning he is already in better position to protect the QB; the tighter the OL splits, the more he can run upfield around the OT to get the the QB, meaning the OT has to more farther and quicker than with the wider splits. Given that the DEs are one of the most athletic positions in today's game (ie: Carlos Hall - 6' 4" 265 lbs, 4.4/40, 450 lb bench press - also Jevon Kearse, etc), you want to give your OT every possible chance to succeed against a superior athlete.

The down sides to the wide alignment are that you are sometimes susceptible to a well timed blitz - especially up the middle. If a LB can time out his blitz well, he can be right at the LOS with a full head of steam at the snap of the ball (here is a great case for altering the snap count and a smart QB baiting him into an offsides call). At the snap, the interior OL has to slide to account for this blitz, or depending on the protection scheme, the RB has to pick him up. In either case it is alot to ask of someone that is already at a disadvantage - the OL mismatched on speed, the RB mismatched on size, strength, etc. In the running game, the wider splits vitually limit most of your options to the middle of the offensive set because the combination of lack of quickness and speed on the interior OL and superior speed and width of the DEs. The extra width on the interior splits can create additional area that an OL has to cover on a combination zone block that can allow a good DL to split the block and create havoc. Of course there are exceptions, such as the occassional shovel pass where the DE is baiting into rushing upfield, thus creating a void behind him and a running lane for the RB.

Reactions: CycloneWarning

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale

Makes the defense cover more field. the thought is the DL will have to cover more ground from wider splits to get into the backfield. If they DL doesn't respect the splits, then we have a 300 lb OL hitting LBs and dbacks directly.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA

It creates throwing lanes for the QB, as well as running lanes for the QB and the RBs.

This is one of the reasons that QBs traditionally considered "too short" have been able to succeed in these systems.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

The increased spreads make the DE's start out much further and thus make it easier for the tackle to push them out of the way. Where as it does help for the DE's it puts a lot more pressure on the guards and center. I would expect that we will see more holding calls on the interior but I would hope that we won't see as many sacks from the outside.

I'll be interested to see what this does for the running game. One would think that those wide splits would be hard to run with. Unfortunately we can't get any research of this from Texas Tech because they haven't ran the ball in several years.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

I think Walden used to do this (before the really dark times). Blaise Brayant always had plenty of running room. Of course when you have Keith Sims and Gene Williams you can spread out.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

The increased spreads make the DE's start out much further and thus make it easier for the tackle to push them out of the way. Where as it does help for the DE's it puts a lot more pressure on the guards and center. I would expect that we will see more holding calls on the interior but I would hope that we won't see as many sacks from the outside.

I'll be interested to see what this does for the running game. One would think that those wide splits would be hard to run with. Unfortunately we can't get any research of this from Texas Tech because they haven't ran the ball in several years.

Barron Batch and Shannon Woods would disagree with you, as they combined for 1400 rushing yards this season (and both individually had more rushing yards than A-Rob this last year)

Reactions: ajk4st8

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006

3-4. teams with great LB corps have the best chance to counter this...or just real, real disciplined front 7.

egami

May 19, 2009
iowa

I would argue big OL are just as "in demand" in the spread splits. As was mentioned, it's largely for opening passing/running lanes. Spreading out edge rushers, not so much...many of the QB option reads in a Spread Option are made off the DE or OLB. It's not like they're trying to make a pocket for passing, anyway. It's primarily about the lanes.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

3-4. teams with great LB corps have the best chance to counter this...or just real, real disciplined front 7.

by "diciplined" do you mean the defense has good instincts, and plays well as a unit?

or do you mean "diciplined" like gets suspended by the coach for punching a cab driver?

Either way, I suppose the Hawkeyes are covered.:jimlad:

Reactions: TykeClone

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006

If you want to see what it looks like (or at least how it looked at Rice), check out this link....

08 Texas Bowl game videos

The O-line splits are definitely noticeable & it's also interesting to see the offense in action.

Reactions: ajk4st8

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

If you want to see what it looks like (or at least how it looked at Rice), check out this link....

08 Texas Bowl game videos

The O-line splits are definitely noticeable & it's also interesting to see the offense in action.

I gotta say, I love seeing that 5 wideout set with 4 guys split out to one side. I really hope Herman brings that with him to Ames. It sets up the little bubble screen really, really well. I could see someone like Money Reynolds, or any of our receivers really doing well with something like that.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

I like the way it spreads out the defense and makes the guys on the edge go further. It still looks like a blitzing LBer would have a free lane to the backfield. The Rice guys did a nice job blocking on the edge, something that ISU has really struggled with the last few years.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa

Looks like our RB's will really have to be able to block. They'll need to help out on blitz' quite a bit I'm sure.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007

Looks like we were holding back a little bit in the spring game based on those clips. :wink:

AA is going to be asked to do a lot this fall. I just hope he can keep his TOs down. He's going to put up monster numbers offensively, both in the air and on the ground. I bet the receivers love this. Everybody will get a lot of touches.

DrewCo

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 14, 2008
Quad Cities

Looks like our RB's will really have to be able to block. They'll need to help out on blitz' quite a bit I'm sure.
From what I have heard that is a main reason why ARob Is numero uno on the depth chart:yes: