*** Official West Virginia Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Hahhahahahahahaha! Yup, he's a damn John Wooden in the making!

Seems like a necessary response to what I said. Never said he was John Wooden, but he also is cheating to win, so maybe he is better than him?

I've been on the Prohm train since day one, and don't take it back. Has he struggled? Of course he has, but he is a young coach still, and learning what it takes to win in this league. Couple that with what he walked into, what he had to recruit around, and a season like this was going to happen this year. Sure, we've had some bad losses, but we've also beat some damn good teams too, and we are a few plays from being 5-4 in this conference.

You can be an ass all you want, but I think he is a damn good coach.[/QUOTE]

Nope--not buying any of it.
1) We have the resources that we shouldn't have to wait for someone to "learn what it takes to win in this league." This is Power 5, the Big XII, not the American Red Cross.
2) The fact that we have such a thin roster should be enough to show him the door. Did the fact that we had 4 Senior starters last year sneak up on CSP? Good God, he was hired before their Junior year. He had 2 years to avoid this "rebuilding."
3) In game decisions, especially concerning Time Outs, are really shaky. Way too many times he calls time out after the horse has left the barn. Also, end of game offense in tight games is just an embarrassment and has already cost us 3-4 wins this year.
4) Seemingly everyone around the program is willing to give him a Mulliigan this year and are waiting for next year. That benevolence sucks, especially for a Power 5 team, but next year better be a Round of 32 at least or this guy needs to be sent packing.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I'll get roasted for this, but I've thought Babb and point guard play has been the problem for a long time, hopefully because of his injury. His body language has been terrible, too many turn overs, and the offense has been very stagnant with him running the point. His inbounds passing has been an issue too. Talley was great as were all the guards including Long. Brase and Beverly got appropriate spot minutes to rest Solo and Cam. Tonight we put a better team on the court. I know it was just one game but I think we will be much more competitive with that line up.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
They love that warm Iowa climate.
Don't want to put too fine a point on it, but Toronto/Mississauga, homes of Melvin and Naz are at the same latitude as Mason City - weather very similar to here with maybe a bit more snow due to the lake effect of Lakes Erie and Ontario.

Reactions: cynuck

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
See I see this combined with Saturday as a sign of a fundamental coaching issue. I’m thrilled with today but it has pissed me off more about Saturday. We expected ups and downs this year but they’ve been more extreme than they should. The issue is motivation and toughness. Sticking to pushing the tempo is what will make us successful this year. Now you might say that’s just a side effect of a young team or. Is team. I’d counter that we saw the same issue the past two years. Why is the staff unable to consistently motivate them. When they do they are great but I don’t think the issue should just be ignored.
Diss Prohm even when he wins. That takes....Hm, I'm not sure what it takes.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'll get roasted for this, but I've thought Babb and point guard play has been the problem for a long time, hopefully because of his injury. His body language has been terrible, too many turn overs, and the offense has been very stagnant with him running the point. His inbounds passing has been an issue too. Talley was great as were all the guards including Long. Brase and Beverly got appropriate spot minutes to rest Solo and Cam. Tonight we put a better team on the court. I know it was just one game but I think we will be much more competitive with that line up.

I thought it was our plays (which is probably still a big part of it) but I agree about the inbounds plays. Babb thinks it will magically open like he's in 5th grade YMCA league. Waits way too long and misses the open man.

The pick and roll offense with an injured Babb has been really bad. He can't hit a three, and he doesn't have the explosiveness to take it to the hole. It's difficult to say we'd be better without him, but we certainly shared the ball much better tonight. I think that probably has more to do with the fact that West Virginia's defense is easy to space when they're so extended. Talley was the perfect antidote.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Seems like a necessary response to what I said. Never said he was John Wooden, but he also is cheating to win, so maybe he is better than him?

I've been on the Prohm train since day one, and don't take it back. Has he struggled? Of course he has, but he is a young coach still, and learning what it takes to win in this league. Couple that with what he walked into, what he had to recruit around, and a season like this was going to happen this year. Sure, we've had some bad losses, but we've also beat some damn good teams too, and we are a few plays from being 5-4 in this conference.

You can be an ass all you want, but I think he is a damn good coach.

Nope--not buying any of it.
1) We have the resources that we shouldn't have to wait for someone to "learn what it takes to win in this league." This is Power 5, the Big XII, not the American Red Cross.
2) The fact that we have such a thin roster should be enough to show him the door. Did the fact that we had 4 Senior starters last year sneak up on CSP? Good God, he was hired before their Junior year. He had 2 years to avoid this "rebuilding."
3) In game decisions, especially concerning Time Outs, are really shaky. Way too many times he calls time out after the horse has left the barn. Also, end of game offense in tight games is just an embarrassment and has already cost us 3-4 wins this year.
4) Seemingly everyone around the program is willing to give him a Mulliigan this year and are waiting for next year. That benevolence sucks, especially for a Power 5 team, but next year better be a Round of 32 at least or this guy needs to be sent packing.[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to thank you for this. Not because it's good or poses anything close to rational...it's just incredible how much someone can work so hard to be such a leach on a website. Kudos.

Istater4life

Jun 14, 2010

Babb doesn't seem to push the ball up court as fast on missed shots as Wigginton or Jackson does. I say it's time to let Wigginton run the offense.

• Disagree
  • Winner
Reactions: flycy and isuno1fan

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Diss Prohm even when he wins. That takes....Hm, I'm not sure what it takes.
It proves I’m not just a hater. I think there are issues that need corrected. I want him to succeed and hope he makes the changes necessary to improve. I’m not going to ignore foundational issues though. What happens when next year we are competing for tourney position or a Big 12 title and we see issues. I’m thrilled with tonight’s game but worry about our long term success.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
See I see this combined with Saturday as a sign of a fundamental coaching issue. I’m thrilled with today but it has pissed me off more about Saturday. We expected ups and downs this year but they’ve been more extreme than they should. The issue is motivation and toughness. Sticking to pushing the tempo is what will make us successful this year. Now you might say that’s just a side effect of a young team or. Is team. I’d counter that we saw the same issue the past two years. Why is the staff unable to consistently motivate them. When they do they are great but I don’t think the issue should just be ignored.

Oh FFS, this is college basketball. Every team goes through ups and downs. Unless you're a top 10 program, you will be able to point to games when you just don't have it and others when you can't miss. Even top 10 teams have these spurts although not as drastic as a team that has practically no experience. It's the nature of the sport. It might seem exaggerated to you because Iowa State is the only team you watch every play.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
It proves I’m not just a hater. I think there are issues that need corrected. I want him to succeed and hope he makes the changes necessary to improve. I’m not going to ignore foundational issues though. What happens when next year we are competing for tourney position or a Big 12 title and we see issues. I’m thrilled with tonight’s game but worry about our long term success.

We seemed awfully motivated to finish last season as one of the hottest teams in the country and Big 12 Tournament champions. Were those games not important?

Your point is that we don't play great every game? Welcome to college basketball.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think this is a bit over the top. I think Babb has been playing injured for a while, but I don’t think he has effort issues. Babb has had a lot of great games this year, but lately he hasn’t obviously with his injury.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Oh FFS, this is college basketball. Every team goes through ups and downs. Unless you're a top 10 program, you will be able to point to games when you just don't have it and others when you can't miss. Even top 10 teams have these spurts although not as drastic as a team that has practically no experience. It's the nature of the sport. It might seem exaggerated to you because Iowa State is the only team you watch every play.

North Carolina is currently in a 3 game losing streak. Kentucky's not ranked.

Doesn't make too much sense to complain about a down year at a school that only recently was an every year NCAA tourney team.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

It will be like other years when ISU's been vying for tourney position and/or Big 12 titles and there's issues.

If they make the NCAA tourney next year, that's a great year at Iowa State, nothing less.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
We seemed awfully motivated to finish last season as one of the hottest teams in the country and Big 12 Tournament champions. Were those games not important?

Your point is that we don't play great every game? Welcome to college basketball.
Last year was a bit more of a constant improvement but no one can say they started the season playing close to where they should have. To Prohms credit they finished above where they probably should have.

The issue is most teams have ups and downs. Generally they can be explained. Particularly with this team there is no explanation for it. For example Freds teams struggled in low energy situations. That’s something they worked on and never really got over but you can make sense of it and work to improve on it. There is no reasoning for the ups and downs this year. I’m sure the team can identify the issue but as outside spectators we can’t see the why and therefore see effort to fix it.