*** Official West Virginia Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
i ***** about prohm but I’ve posted in this thread. Are you going to compare this game to creating offense against regular defenses in the big 12 or something? As fun as it is winning big like this. West Virginia sped our offense up and didn’t force us to run offense most of the game.

Thought they attacked the press from the get go, thought that was a well drawn up game plan.
Or maybe it's a fluke and they just stumbled into like you suggest.

Talking heads on ESPN did say ISU did a great job attacking the press.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
See I see this combined with Saturday as a sign of a fundamental coaching issue. I’m thrilled with today but it has pissed me off more about Saturday. We expected ups and downs this year but they’ve been more extreme than they should. The issue is motivation and toughness. Sticking to pushing the tempo is what will make us successful this year. Now you might say that’s just a side effect of a young team or. Is team. I’d counter that we saw the same issue the past two years. Why is the staff unable to consistently motivate them. When they do they are great but I don’t think the issue should just be ignored.

You should just stop. This is bad and you should feel bad

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Last year was a bit more of a constant improvement but no one can say they started the season playing close to where they should have. To Prohms credit they finished above where they probably should have.

The issue is most teams have ups and downs. Generally they can be explained. Particularly with this team there is no explanation for it. For example Freds teams struggled in low energy situations. That’s something they worked on and never really got over but you can make sense of it and work to improve on it. There is no reasoning for the ups and downs this year. I’m sure the team can identify the issue but as outside spectators we can’t see the why and therefore see effort to fix it.

You don't think a team with freshmen learning the game, other inexperienced players learning the game and establishing their roles is going to have ups and downs?

Last year's team took 2 months to learn to play without Niang, and had to play half the season without anyone down low. They were experienced but were also deficient.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Last year was a bit more of a constant improvement but no one can say they started the season playing close to where they should have. To Prohms credit they finished above where they probably should have.

The issue is most teams have ups and downs. Generally they can be explained. Particularly with this team there is no explanation for it. For example Freds teams struggled in low energy situations. That’s something they worked on and never really got over but you can make sense of it and work to improve on it. There is no reasoning for the ups and downs this year. I’m sure the team can identify the issue but as outside spectators we can’t see the why and therefore see effort to fix it.

LOL, are you kidding? There's no explanation for it? Our starters consist of two freshman, one sophomore, a junior that's never been more than an 8th or 9th man (playing a position he hasn't played since high school) and a senior who has never been more than a one-dimensional bench player. This isn't difficult.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
You don't think a team with freshmen learning the game, other inexperienced players learning the game and establishing their roles is going to have ups and downs?

Last year's team took 2 months to learn to play without Niang, and had to play half the season without anyone down low. They were experienced but were also deficient.
I don’t think we should expect as extreme ups and downs. Games like Saturday are what I’m talking about. The loss at TCU was to be expected and is an example of a down. Saturday was an example of a team who wasn’t motivated and didn’t know what they were trying to do. One is acceptable and expected in a rebuilding year. The other isn’t.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

There is "no explanation" for a team that lost players 1, 2, 3 and 4 (80% of their scoring) and is relying on players 5, 6 and 7 plus new faces to have ups and downs? Who on God's green earth is supposed to have ups and downs if not a group like that? Seriously....that is a really, really bad take.

isuclone89

Oct 23, 2007
Medical Lake, WA
Seems like a necessary response to what I said. Never said he was John Wooden, but he also is cheating to win, so maybe he is better than him?

I've been on the Prohm train since day one, and don't take it back. Has he struggled? Of course he has, but he is a young coach still, and learning what it takes to win in this league. Couple that with what he walked into, what he had to recruit around, and a season like this was going to happen this year. Sure, we've had some bad losses, but we've also beat some damn good teams too, and we are a few plays from being 5-4 in this conference.

You can be an ass all you want, but I think he is a damn good coach.

Nope--not buying any of it.
1) We have the resources that we shouldn't have to wait for someone to "learn what it takes to win in this league." This is Power 5, the Big XII, not the American Red Cross.
2) The fact that we have such a thin roster should be enough to show him the door. Did the fact that we had 4 Senior starters last year sneak up on CSP? Good God, he was hired before their Junior year. He had 2 years to avoid this "rebuilding."
3) In game decisions, especially concerning Time Outs, are really shaky. Way too many times he calls time out after the horse has left the barn. Also, end of game offense in tight games is just an embarrassment and has already cost us 3-4 wins this year.
4) Seemingly everyone around the program is willing to give him a Mulliigan this year and are waiting for next year. That benevolence sucks, especially for a Power 5 team, but next year better be a Round of 32 at least or this guy needs to be sent packing.[/QUOTE]

Go back to the Missouri board.

• Agree
Reactions: VAISUFAN

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don’t think we should expect as extreme ups and downs. Games like Saturday are what I’m talking about. The loss at TCU was to be expected and is an example of a down. Saturday was an example of a team who wasn’t motivated and didn’t know what they were trying to do. One is acceptable and expected in a rebuilding year. The other isn’t.

I don't, either, but it's college basketball.
Heck, over the last 6-7 years, we've seen those same swings within games, like all those 18 point comebacks, or last year's Purdue game when their magic finally ran out.

I love consistency, but that's just not a thing in basketball.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I dont know about you guys but tonight was an awesome game to be at. I'm looking forward to the team getting much better and what it will lead to next year with what we have in place. It's going to be really exciting next year but would love to see this team turn it on and see what they can do in KC.

IowaStateFam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2017
I would also like to know this.
A flagrant 1 foul is essentially just a common foul in a shooting situation. The foul is enforced like any other common foul while shooting with the added bonus of getting the ball back out of bounds at the spot of the foul.

If a flagrant is called in a non-shooting situation, you are awarded 2 foul shots + the ball out of bounds at the spot closest to the foul.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
[/QUOTE]

Nope--not buying any of it.
1) We have the resources that we shouldn't have to wait for someone to "learn what it takes to win in this league." This is Power 5, the Big XII, not the American Red Cross.
2) The fact that we have such a thin roster should be enough to show him the door. Did the fact that we had 4 Senior starters last year sneak up on CSP? Good God, he was hired before their Junior year. He had 2 years to avoid this "rebuilding."
3) In game decisions, especially concerning Time Outs, are really shaky. Way too many times he calls time out after the horse has left the barn. Also, end of game offense in tight games is just an embarrassment and has already cost us 3-4 wins this year.
4) Seemingly everyone around the program is willing to give him a Mulliigan this year and are waiting for next year. That benevolence sucks, especially for a Power 5 team, but next year better be a Round of 32 at least or this guy needs to be sent packing.[/QUOTE]

Who the heck would come here and coach when fans like you would call for their heads at the first sign of trouble?

With regards to the roster, believe he made a decision to try and get off the transfer treadmill.
The classes were unbalanced horribly, because of guys on 1 or 2 year deals.
Look at the balance of classes next year, that is what you want.

These were the big 12 preseason rankings based on you criteria, Huggins, Dixon, Drew, Smart, and Prohm need to be shown the door as their teams are just meeting or not meeting expectations. Their universities have all kinds of resources, WTF is their problem, bunch of crap coaches.

1. Kansas (9)* 81
2. West Virginia (1) 71
3. TCU 64
4. Texas 49
5. Baylor 47
6. Oklahoma 43
7. Texas Tech 36
8. Kansas State 27
9. Iowa State 22
10. Oklahoma State 10

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: isu2014

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
He was under control almost the entire time. I only remember 1 bad possession were he drove into a blocked shot.

Played really good D too.

Well he said he was embarrassed after Saturday pretty much bringing shame to Hilton.
Guess he made amends tonight.

Reactions: heitclone