*** Official West Virginia Vs IOWA STATE Gameday Thread ***

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Came into a gameday thread before the game with a post and likes. You know what you have to do for the next game. ;)

Yeah, decided it was time to change up my mojo. It was difficult, I hate coming into a cesspool of negativity lol. Hit it early after the Mighty Rulzzz before it got ugly.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
I asked this earlier and didn't see a response. When Lindell got hit in the face on the three, there was a flagrant 1 called. Why weren't there five free throws? 3 for the 3, 2 for the flagrant 1.

Because it was one foul and not two separate fouls. If they had left it as a standard foul, he would have gotten the 3 shots. Because that foul was deemed a flagrant 1 foul instead of a standard foul, he got the shots and ISU got the ball.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Last year was a bit more of a constant improvement but no one can say they started the season playing close to where they should have. To Prohms credit they finished above where they probably should have.

The issue is most teams have ups and downs. Generally they can be explained. Particularly with this team there is no explanation for it. For example Freds teams struggled in low energy situations. That’s something they worked on and never really got over but you can make sense of it and work to improve on it. There is no reasoning for the ups and downs this year. I’m sure the team can identify the issue but as outside spectators we can’t see the why and therefore see effort to fix it.

There are two issues for the inconsistency. The first is that this team is young and reliant upon a couple of 19 years and typically they will be inconsistent and let their offense dictate their effort in other areas.

The second which I think we have to accept as a likely constant is that CSP doesn't value the regular season to the extent that many of the fans (including me) would like him to. But I think there is a good reason for that. As a head coach and asst coach at Murray State your season is defined oftentimes by a single week at your conference tournament. Non-conference wins and losses do not matter and neither do regular season titles. All that matters is how you are playing the first week in March.

Hence, he is completely willing to sacrifice a game in November, December or January if he feels a lesson needs to be learned. It has worked for him at Murray State and that strategy worked well last year.

I'm not sure if Larry E., Tim Floyd or Bill Self would approach it the same way as those coaches put so much emphasis on regular season conference titles. I don't think there is a right or wrong approach but I do think it explains the clunkers and why they aren't always in "predictable low-energy" spots.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
An X-factor in this game, compared to the Tennessee debacle: Crowd engagement. And that's not a knock on the fans (at least not directly).

Against UT, even when ISU had a lead early, baskets were infrequent, so it didn't charge-up the fans with any consistency. Then Tennessee got up double-digits, ISU couldn't buy a basket, never established any momentum, crowd was taken out of the mix. In turn, the players couldn't feed off of the fans. So they weren't playing too well, plus there was nothing to fuel more energy, and despondency set in. Downward spiral. Hilton impact was never a factor.

Versus WVU, Iowa State got an early lead, seemingly couldn't miss from the field, and even after West Virginia rallied to get back into the game, they responded with a run and got fans' juices flowing again.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
An X-factor in this game, compared to the Tennessee debacle: Crowd engagement. And that's not a knock on the fans (at least not directly).

Against UT, even when ISU had a lead early, baskets were infrequent, so it didn't charge-up the fans with any consistency. Then Tennessee got up double-digits, ISU couldn't buy a basket, never established any momentum, crowd was taken out of the mix. In turn, the players couldn't feed off of the fans. So they weren't playing too well, plus there was nothing to fuel more energy, and despondency set in. Downward spiral. Hilton impact was never a factor.

Versus WVU, Iowa State got an early lead, seemingly couldn't miss from the field, and even after West Virginia rallied to get back into the game, they responded with a run and got fans' juices flowing again.
How do you explain OU, two years ago...the 17 pt first half, Cousins running his mouth & the floor slapping, then the Clones win the game. Plenty of opportunities for the fans to give up...yet they were loud that entire second half. :)

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
How do you explain OU, two years ago...the 17 pt first half, Cousins running his mouth & the floor slapping, then the Clones win the game. Plenty of opportunities for the fans to give up...yet they were loud that entire second half. :)

Excellent observation. My guess is, for one thing, Hilton was more naturally jacked for the OU game since it was No. 15 vs. No. 17. There was no reason to think ISU would mount a comeback like that, but the point when chances looked remote, Cyclones hit shots on several consecutive possessions and OU wasn't scoring, so a build-up began.

In Tennessee game, no such momentum swing helped establish a foothold.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Donovan dropped 25 and had 7 assists, arguably the best game he's played as a Cyclone.
You know, before arriving to ISU, I thought DJ was going to be more of a PG type and that's clearly not his forte, especially in half-court sets. We all want him to be spotting up to be the deadly shooter that he is. However, he does push the tempo very well and I think he's good at finding the open guy in transition. We needed those assists tonight without NWB in the line-up.

DJ should feel good about his performance and not "disrespecting Hilton" tonight.

Reactions: heitclone

LACyclone

Mar 16, 2012
Beverly Hills, CA
Amazing win. 93 points against WV!?!? Young and Talley really took their game to a new level. Beverly stepped up; happy for him. We have a plethora of shot-blockers. Feel bad for Babb, but I'm sure he'll be back stronger than ever. Love DJ's comment about Hilton.

Congrats, Cyclones and Coach Prohm!

And we Cyclone fans are lucky to be part of such a passionate fan base. You can tell how much Wigginton and Lard feed off the crowd, and vice versa.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Tonight's game (technically 'last night's game' as I write this) is why I like an occasional season like this one. It is always so excellent when some of the players start to gel. This team got off to a bad start, then righted itself for the rest of the preconference season. Then came what we all knew would be a tough conference season. Yup, there have been terrible games you want to forget, and then there are performances where you can see the talent rise up. I suppose the next steps are: to get Beverly and Brase to show up a little more; Get Babb healthy; get everyone to be a little more consistent. I hope to see it before the conference tournament starts.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
There are two issues for the inconsistency. The first is that this team is young and reliant upon a couple of 19 years and typically they will be inconsistent and let their offense dictate their effort in other areas.

The second which I think we have to accept as a likely constant is that CSP doesn't value the regular season to the extent that many of the fans (including me) would like him to. But I think there is a good reason for that. As a head coach and asst coach at Murray State your season is defined oftentimes by a single week at your conference tournament. Non-conference wins and losses do not matter and neither do regular season titles. All that matters is how you are playing the first week in March.

Hence, he is completely willing to sacrifice a game in November, December or January if he feels a lesson needs to be learned. It has worked for him at Murray State and that strategy worked well last year.

I'm not sure if Larry E., Tim Floyd or Bill Self would approach it the same way as those coaches put so much emphasis on regular season conference titles. I don't think there is a right or wrong approach but I do think it explains the clunkers and why they aren't always in "predictable low-energy" spots.
I think you’re right maybe on the why. I just don’t feel that is an acceptable way to coach at least to the extent it happens. Playing to March is a real thing but in multi bid conferences you can’t do it in spite of the regular season. For years like this year where coming in with the talent there was a real possibility of a bubble shot it is super important to value the regular season as that may be what gets you into the tournament.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think you’re right maybe on the why. I just don’t feel that is an acceptable way to coach at least to the extent it happens. Playing to March is a real thing but in multi bid conferences you can’t do it in spite of the regular season. For years like this year where coming in with the talent there was a real possibility of a bubble shot it is super important to value the regular season as that may be what gets you into the tournament.

I disagree about the talent we have on this team being representative of a NCAA bubble team. We don't have a third shooter and you will certainly need that in order to space the floor especially with Sololmon and Lard playing together.

I've been pleasantly surprised by the execution of Lard and with Talley. People shouldn't be fooled into changing their expectations after last night. Iowa State is like Bitcoin in the last two months when it comes to peaks and valleys. Getting to 6-12 and 15-15 overall would be a reasonable goal.

Great win for the Clones last night and we should all just enjoy it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One thing is that I think the last two times we’ve played West Virginia, prohm had s really good game plan.

Obviously we shot well last night, but the game plan would have had us in the game with an average shooting night.

RagnarLothbrok

Feb 28, 2015

I've felt that way about Prohm since the beginning. As a fan I want to win every game, not watch the head coach try to figure out who is going to be the best rotation in March.

I would be completely fine if this season ended in a conference tournament championship autobid though.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Not sure if anyone has commented on the ESPN broadcast of the game. To me, it seemed like they blamed WV for losing rather than giving credit to our guys for winning. Kinda ticked me off, but I guess when you have only 2 conference wins, respect is going to be slow in coming. Plus, they barely mentioned Talley and I thought he was a big part of the win, a big part of breaking the press.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011

Sorry but this makes no sense. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that Prohm puts little emphasis on conference wins; he only wants to win the B12 t'ment. But everyone wants to dance, and no one more than Steve. And to get to the dance, and get a decent seed, you need to do well in the conference. So, I am afraid that while you may be correct, it does not make sense to me.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone