*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I disagree on the Big East bias. Only 3 teams from the league got in. And only one of those bubble teams was even in the first 4 out (Seton Hall).

I’ve also seen people saying we were seeded 7th overall and fell to 8th after the Big 12 tournament. Where are people seeing we were listed 7th? If they are going off the AP poll, that literally has nothing to do with the committee’s S-Curve. In the committee’s first reveal, we were ranked 11th overall.
The AP poll is only a poll, but look at NET and Kenpom. NET has us as the 6th best team, Kenpom as 5th. We're not the 8th best team in the country. The committee is straight up wrong.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
The AP poll is only a poll, but look at NET and Kenpom. NET has us as the 6th best team, Kenpom as 5th. We're not the 8th best team in the country. The committee is straight up wrong.
Ok, but people are erroneously saying we dropped from 7th to 8th in the committee’s rankings after the Big 12 tourney, which is not true. Just wanted to clarify that.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Baylor was the top 3 seed. Either we got zero credit for destroying Houston (not enough to move us ahead of 3 teams that just lost) or they were going to put Baylor ahead of us despite beating their a$$ on a neutral floor and finishing ahead of them in conference and being 8 spots in front of them on NET.

Could very well have been behind Kentucky (which is unthinkable given their losing record against Q1) and their metrics and Creighton too.
Yep. My guess is we were behind Baylor (and maybe Creighton and Duke too) heading to the conference tourney.

And our ceiling was lowest two seed (i.e. no matter what we weren’t going to be able to catch Marquette, Tennessee, or Arizona).

Reactions: twincyties

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Which is really the more important metric.

Maybe SOS is an excuse when you're on the bubble and you're explaining why a team hasn't picked up more wins despite having good metrics.

But at the top end, what should matter is entirely "what have you achieved". 10Q1 wins and 2 of the best wins in the entire season of basketball is 1 seed territory.
And on the other side of that coin it’s absolutely disgusting for a team like Indiana St to get left out while the committee slides in Virginia, Michigan St, and Northwestern. I hate that they are making it harder and harder for the mid majors to get in and this last round of realignment will only make it worse.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
cbs brain trust going through the brackets and keep beating the drum of 'the MWC was underseeded' and 'how did only 3 big east teams get in'

but they wont say which teams are overseeded and which teams didnt belong. when it seems to obviously be the acc, big 10 and sec. weird.
The ACC and B1G have been crying about NET being gamed and the committee clearly listened… the bottom half of those two conferences are terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirt Boy 2

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
ISU doesn’t have a solution for Khalifa. We’d need to cross our fingers and hope they miss a bunch of open 3’s like they did in the 2nd half at Hilton.

They missed lots of open 3’s in the 2nd half. Then their guards crapped themselves in the last few minutes.
That has literally been BYU’s story all season…

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Iowa State went 2-2 against non con teams in the top 80 of KemPom (Texas A&M, Iowa, VA Tech, VCU)....we also went 2-2 against the top 230: Green Bay was the next best team we played at 231. We beat Grambling by 55, and played 6 of our 13 non con games against teams worse than them. Our one true road non con game was against DePaul (307) that won 3 games all year.

KemPom rates UNC's non con at 36. The other 2 seeds are at 10, 21, and 23. Iowa State is at 351......not a typo.

The Big 12 was an incredible league by any measure and our performance in those games played a role in seeding. The non con was absolute trash by any measure and also played a role in seeding.

This ^^^^^^^^

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I think we likely got seeded wednesday night thursday morning and it was never looked at again. I think the committee looked at the three one seeds (Houston, Purdue, and UConn) and said okay well thats easy. The next three were teams vying for the last number one (UNC, Arizona, and Tennessee). We heard it was still in play on Saturday because UNC was still playing. The last four slots were basically who wins gets 7/8. We were beat Baylor and Creighton lost before facing Marquette so that made it relatively easy. After that they never looked at it again.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
To those picking Houston to go deep - remember they aren't quite what they were 4-6 weeks ago. Their defense will keep them close, but their offense is struggling and injuries have taken a toll.
shead could lead them but we all saw what happened to him on saturday. 3-17 isn't going to win them games.

However, cryer can light it up as well as sharp

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Iowa State went 2-2 against non con teams in the top 80 of KemPom (Texas A&M, Iowa, VA Tech, VCU)....we also went 2-2 against the top 230: Green Bay was the next best team we played at 231. We beat Grambling by 55, and played 6 of our 13 non con games against teams worse than them. Our one true road non con game was against DePaul (307) that won 3 games all year.

KemPom rates UNC's non con at 36. The other 2 seeds are at 10, 21, and 23. Iowa State is at 351......not a typo.

The Big 12 was an incredible league by any measure and our performance in those games played a role in seeding. The non con was absolute trash by any measure and also played a role in seeding.
The question I haven't seen answered is "What is Non Conf SOS more important than the overall SOS"? That's the part that doesn't make any sense.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Talking about 5 games here. Isu played 5 awful games

So a huge emphasis was placed on 7% season

Meanwhile North Carolina played 5 sub 100 NET games IN conference play and lost one of them. Iowa State played 2.... Non Con SOS shouldn't matter when the Big 12 was head and shoulders above all of the other conferences by every metric available.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I sort of feel like the committee did what it claims it won’t do and judged us on the “look test”. Even though our numbers were those of the 4th 1 or the 1st 2, we don’t SEEM like a top team, so they used whatever reasoning they could to bump us down.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
The question I haven't seen answered is "What is Non Conf SOS more important than the overall SOS"? That's the part that doesn't make any sense.
You choose who you play in non-con, not in the conference. Did you decide to make your schedule more difficult or not.

This is one of the worst seeded fields I have seen in a long time.

• Winner
Reactions: RealisticCy

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
Looking at it, I don't hate our draw in Omaha. We shouldn't be concerned about a 15 seed, and I think we matchup extremely well with Drake. I don't have a clue on Wazzup but a non Big12 team on 1 day practice I like our odds.

The bigger issue is with the East and seeds overall. The projected East sweet 16 matchups would make sense as elite 8 matchups too. It's clear whatever criteria used to place teams was independent of actual team strength

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Yep. My guess is we were behind Baylor (and maybe Creighton and Duke too) heading to the conference tourney.

And our ceiling was lowest two seed (i.e. no matter what we weren’t going to be able to catch Marquette, Tennessee, or Arizona).
ISU was seeded # 10 on February 17th. We were already 2 spots ahead of Duke, 7+ spots ahead of Creighton and only 1 spot behind Baylor. Between Feb 17th and March 9th, ISU went 5-2. Duke also went 5-2. Creighton went 5-1. Baylor went 4-3. So we definitely should have been seeded no worse than # 9 on March 9th.

Somehow ISU going 3-0 and blowing out 3 quality Big 12 tournament opponents was only good enough to move us from # 9 to # 8. I don't think so. The field was set before we played against Baylor and Houston. Those games didn't change squat.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron