*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Wasn't their non-con schedule/record what got them into the tourney TJ's first two years in addition to the Big 12 being so good?

I think it was done on purpose due to a bit of a rebuild.
The assessment was that this team had just getting to the tournament as its goal, not contending for a #1. It's not TJ and the team's fault they turned out to be better than anyone believed they would.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Me trying decide who I want to win.

full
Hoping for a meteor to strike CHA.

That, or the game is called when Fran and Tang die locked in battle with Fran throttling Tang and Tang dancing and clapping in Fran's face.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Wasn't their non-con schedule/record what got them into the tourney TJ's first two years in addition to the Big 12 being so good?

I think it was done on purpose due to a bit of a rebuild.

Our noncon sos in his first year was better, but still only 116. We still played 8 Q4 games (1 less, the main difference being our Big East opponent was Creighton instead of Depaul) , and 5 teams below net 300 (same as this year)

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
Conspiracy theory time.

#1. It sure seems that ISU got an unfair seed. Should Pollard offer a comment since he was on the committee? Does he agree that noncon was too weak? Didn't he set the schedule? Does he think ISU got a fair seed?

#2. My list of pitfalls: bad shooting & bad calls. Gotta think all games will be called fairly. However, I still remember MSU in 2000 and the NC that should have been. Don't forget your nutcups.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Two loud and clear messages--

1) NCSOS really matters
2) Conference Tournaments don't matter at all

The whole emphasis on strength of noncon schedule over strength of overall schedule is embarrassingly stupid.

ISU's overall strength of schedule is greater than UNC's, but UNC gets the 1 seed over us because the noncon portion of their weaker schedule was tougher than ours? Are you kidding me??

It's hard to believe a committee of persons who work in higher education could come up with such ridiculous logic.
We are the Committee you are the pleabs. You will take what we give you. We will use whatever metric to suit what we want to do and you'll consume it like good little doggies. Get it?

If we want to use OOC strength to justify a seed we will. If we want to justify conference tournament performance we will. You don't have any recourse or power to change it. Be glad we acknowledge you at all with the dog and pony bracket show.

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
really don’t think it’s not playing the the blue bloods that caused our SOS to be so bad. It’s that we played the most terrible teams in the terrible conferences. Play the better teams in the terrible conferences and we’d be better off.
This isn't entirely true, Green Bay finished 13-7, Grambling made the NCAA tourney, Eastern Illinois and New Hampshire were close to .500 in their leagues. The only teams that were awful were Lindenwood, Idaho Stare, Prairie View, and Florida A&M. I'm sure if you went through everyone else's schedules they would have 3 or 4 similar games.

The SOS in non-conference is just an excuse. So we played 4 terrible teams out of 35 total games.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Here's the problem: conference tourney wins only sometimes matter. The committee uses different criteria exclusively to justify their choices and that's problematic.

Apparently our Big XII Tourney wins didn't really mean much but other teams benefited from winning games in their conference tourneys. It has to cut both ways.

I'm big on analytics. The reason the NET was developed in the first place was to give the committee the best tool to compare different teams from different conferences.

It's not perfect but it's the fairest metric. So my message to the committee is: use it for Christ's sake!
It seemed like they really used the NET tool the first year or two but now it’s just another goal post the committee can move. There are several great metric tools at their disposal and a bunch of old men go with the non con schedule.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Jamie has consistently leveraged this fan base to increase the athletic outlook.

I imagine what Jamie said to the committee before he left. As long as you give us Omaha I don't care what you do.

Reactions: Hump4cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
That’s the thing though. When comparing with other 2 seeds, the difference was quad 4 vs quad 3. It isn’t like other schools are out there playing top 25 teams every game. We just need to make a small step in competition. Maybe that means more costly buy games, and maybe that’s not worth it. But we should not be worrying about quad 3 teams in Hilton.
It’s such a wild card scheduling Q3 and Q4 teams though. In other words you don’t know which quadrant those games actually end up falling in.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
This isn't entirely true, Green Bay finished 13-7, Grambling made the NCAA tourney, Eastern Illinois and New Hampshire were close to .500 in their leagues. The only teams that were awful were Lindenwood, Idaho Stare, Prairie View, and Florida A&M. I'm sure if you went through everyone else's schedules they would have 3 or 4 similar games.

The SOS in non-conference is just an excuse. So we played 4 terrible teams out of 35 total games.
KenPom rated our non-conference SOS at 351 out of 362 teams.

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We all already know what the most impactful driver is for the committee: $$$ MONEY $$$

That can mean a lot of things; butts in seats, viewership, storylines, etc.

All of these random "misplaced" teams are strategically placed to maximize revenues for all involved.
It’s the entire point behind the mysterious process in both football and basketball. Game the process privately and then give really vague non-answers when questioned about it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron