*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Can someone please explain how Kentucky got a 3 seed?

All of their metrics put them squarely on a 5 line. They have a losing record against Q1. Their non con SOS is 205.

Make it make sense.

Media stuffs have them as the “non chalk” final four pick.

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
Problem is UNI/Drake will only play us if it’s home/home. Or neutral site. Would we schedule home and home or neutral with Murray State?
Probably not to a Murray State. But home&home UNI/Drake agreement with an ISU favorable split at the gate + savings on in-state travel + increased in-state goodwill makes this a winning proposition economically. From a pure basketball standpoint, it increases out of conference SOS and provides an early season road test. Obviously would only play one or the other on the road each year, but everything thing about it is logical and sportsmanlike: two very anti-Hok sentiments.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
This is what I really don’t understand. If we’re the worst #2 after dismantling Houston you have to consider the strong possibility that we were a 3 even after the Baylor game. Which means committee had our resume on par with Baylor, Illinois. Kentucky, and Creighton with at least one of them lined up to be a 2.

Which shows how ******* crooked this whole thing is.

Kentucky has a losing record against Q1. Baylor just got trounced by us Friday and finished behind us in regular season. Creighton with an early exit from their tourney and 2 fewer Q1 wins and 3 more Q2 losses. And Illinois was 10 behind us in NET with 3 fewer Q1 wins, same number of Q1 and Q2 losses along with a Q3 loss.

Disagree. I think we were a close win or loss against Houston from being a 3 seed.
Yep. For everyone saying “the committee showed the conference tournament doesn’t matter”, I think this is the actual realization here. We probably weren’t a two seed without winning the tournament.

I thought we were a 3 seed headed into the tourney after the K-State loss. Once we beat Baylor, I thought we locked up a 2 seed. And maybe we did at that point. But likely we needed to beat Houston to solidify a 2 seed.

And, as I said all along, it didn’t really matter if we were a 2 or a 3 seed, in fact it was more advantageous in some scenarios to be a 3-seed. Well, lo and behold, I’d sign up for Baylor’s slot (as long as we still had Omaha) 10 times out of 10 rather than what we got.

All that said, none of that matters now, let’s just beat who we play.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The committee viewed our non-conference schedule as a negative, they also mentioned something about us basically playing a home game in the conference championship. Never mentioned the fact when UNC or Duke was winning championships in Greenville with a majority of their fans at the games, but we just can't allow ISU to do that.

But why would your non-conference schedule matter when you still end up with a top ten SOS overall?

They were bound and determine to show everyone that you had better not try and game the system like the B12 teams did was the message they are sending.

How you finish does not matter, playing in the #1 ranked league does not matter, winning your conference championship over the number 1 ranked team in the nation does not matter, or does the fact that you beat the #2 ranked team in our tournament twice in the season, nor your overall SOS.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The committee viewed our non-conference schedule as a negative, they also mentioned something about us basically playing a home game in the conference championship. Never mentioned the fact when UNC or Duke was winning championships in Greenville with a majority of their fans at the games, but we just can't allow ISU to do that.

But why would your non-conference schedule matter when you still end up with a top ten SOS overall?

They were bound and determine to show everyone that you had better not try and game the system like the B12 teams did was the message they are sending.

How you finish does not matter, playing in the #1 ranked league does not matter, winning your conference championship over the number 1 ranked team in the nation does not matter, or does the fact that you beat the #2 ranked team in our tournament twice in the season, nor your overall SOS.

The 'gamed the system' argument is also garbage.

Go look at our teamsheet from 2022. Now look at the teamsheet from 2024. The same number of Q4 buy games. The same number of Sub-300 teams. We didn't change anything in that department. No one was talking about us 'gaming the system' 2 years ago.We were just better so we won by more this year.

If the big 12 tried to make this argument about ACC teams if the situation were reversed, it'd get laughed off by the media. Instead ESPN platformed this nonsense and influenced the committee into caring a lot more about NCSOS to protect their favorite conference.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
Yep. For everyone saying “the committee showed the conference tournament doesn’t matter”, I think this is the actual realization here. We probably weren’t a two seed without winning the tournament.

I thought we were a 3 seed headed into the tourney after the K-State loss. Once we beat Baylor, I thought we locked up a 2 seed. And maybe we did at that point. But likely we needed to beat Houston to solidify a 2 seed.

And, as I said all along, it didn’t really matter if we were a 2 or a 3 seed, in fact it was more advantageous in some scenarios to be a 3-seed. Well, lo and behold, I’d sign up for Baylor’s slot (as long as we still had Omaha) 10 times out of 10 rather than what we got.

All that said, none of that matters now, let’s just beat who we play.
Baylor was the top 3 seed. Either we got zero credit for destroying Houston (not enough to move us ahead of 3 teams that just lost) or they were going to put Baylor ahead of us despite beating their a$$ on a neutral floor and finishing ahead of them in conference and being 8 spots in front of them on NET.

Could very well have been behind Kentucky (which is unthinkable given their losing record against Q1) and their metrics and Creighton too.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
When confronted with the brutal truth that Big 12 is toughest conference, the committee stated that they evaluate the entire season, including the Noncon, and ISU's weak noncon hurt them. Then why didn't the weak ACC schedule hurt UNC? Total season SOS: ISU = 16, UNC = 31. Tenn has SOS 10 so I can see them above us maybe, but not UNC.
Talking about 5 games here. Isu played 5 awful games

So a huge emphasis was placed on 7% season