*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I don't care much that we didn't get a #1 seed. I don't even care that much about ending up in UConn's region or the other matchups that aren't necessarily ideal. I'm just really bothered by Iowa State being the last #2 seed because it means that last nights win--one of the most impressive wins for any team the entire season--literally meant nothing to the seeding.

I think it's an interesting (though annoying) thought experiment to wonder what Iowa State's seed would have been if last night's result and exact same situation were somehow teleported to November in a game that didn't technically count as a conference game. I'd bet that it would have moved Iowa State up at least a couple of spots on the seed list, even though it wouldn't actually change the game outcomes or full-season resumes.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
This is what I really don’t understand. If we’re the worst #2 after dismantling Houston you have to consider the strong possibility that we were a 3 even after the Baylor game. Which means committee had our resume on par with Baylor, Illinois. Kentucky, and Creighton with at least one of them lined up to be a 2.

Which shows how ******* crooked this whole thing is.

Kentucky has a losing record against Q1. Baylor just got trounced by us Friday and finished behind us in regular season. Creighton with an early exit from their tourney and 2 fewer Q1 wins and 3 more Q2 losses. And Illinois was 10 behind us in NET with 3 fewer Q1 wins, same number of Q1 and Q2 losses along with a Q3 loss.

Honestly. guessing we were one tenth of a second from being a 1 seed.
Disagree. I think we were a close win or loss against Houston from being a 3 seed.

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Shouldn’t matter if you give any value at all to overall strength of schedule or strength of record.

Which is really the more important metric.

Maybe SOS is an excuse when you're on the bubble and you're explaining why a team hasn't picked up more wins despite having good metrics.

But at the top end, what should matter is entirely "what have you achieved". 10Q1 wins and 2 of the best wins in the entire season of basketball is 1 seed territory.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
This is the year. TJ and the team sure as **** isn’t crying about this. They’ll be focused even more. Just play who is in front of you and the defense will travel.

It’s going to be UConn vs. Iowa State in East regional final, in Boston. Playing in front of 15k+ of their fans. ISU is going to pull this off and it is going to be awesome.

Everyone just get on board. This team is different.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't care much that we didn't get a #1 seed. I don't even care that much about ending up in UConn's region or the other matchups that aren't necessarily ideal. I'm just really bothered by Iowa State being the last #2 seed because it means that last nights win--one of the most impressive wins for any team the entire season--literally meant nothing to the seeding.

I think it's an interesting (though annoying) thought experiment to wonder what Iowa State's seed would have been if last night's result and exact same situation were somehow teleported to November in a game that didn't technically count as a conference game. I'd bet that it would have moved Iowa State up at least a couple of spots on the seed list, even though it wouldn't actually change the game outcomes or full-season resumes.

Correction: One of the most impressive wins for any team since 1968. it was a legendary, historic performance.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
cbs brain trust going through the brackets and keep beating the drum of 'the MWC was underseeded' and 'how did only 3 big east teams get in'

but they wont say which teams are overseeded and which teams didnt belong. when it seems to obviously be the acc, big 10 and sec. weird.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
So schedule teams ranked in the mid 100’s pre-conference instead of 200’s. Rest your players during conference tournaments because they are meaningless. That’s the message from the selection committee. Asinine.

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
6 seed in our region was 12th in the NET. 4 seed #4. 2 seed is #5. With the overall number one seed.

Yet the #2 seed in #3 overall seeds region was 13 in NET.

Someone please explain this.

The only team who arguably should be more pissed off right now than us is UConn.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
ESPN talking heads are pretty much all picking Illinois to get past Iowa State; and there’s a lot of love for Kentucky in that room, as well. They’re pretty much all picking UConn to repeat (Bristol homers, of course).
Illinois isn’t making it to us, but I’ll be thrilled if they do

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
This is what I really don’t understand. If we’re the worst #2 after dismantling Houston you have to consider the strong possibility that we were a 3 even after the Baylor game. Which means committee had our resume on par with Baylor, Illinois. Kentucky, and Creighton with at least one of them lined up to be a 2.

Which shows how ******* crooked this whole thing is.

Kentucky has a losing record against Q1. Baylor just got trounced by us Friday and finished behind us in regular season (also a poor non conference SOS) Creighton with an early exit from their tourney and 2 fewer Q1 wins and 3 more Q2 losses. And Illinois was 10 behind us in NET with 3 fewer Q1 wins, same number of Q1 and Q2 losses along with a Q3 loss.

Disagree. I think we were a close win or loss against Houston from being a 3 seed.
The committee mailed it in and seeded the teams before the tournament finals it's clear. Only explanation to have all those conference winners in the east bracket. Any other explanation is more nefarious.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Every team in the East region got screwed with the way the bracket was filled out. ISU has been fortunate in past seasons to make the field with 5-9 and 7-11 conference records. We've never been on the wrong side of the bubble. So I'm trying to avoid throwing another pity party. There's a lot of work for the team to do to get to the Elite 8. Hopefully they carry forward the same mindset they had going to KC.

Craig4IState

Oct 7, 2017
This is the year. TJ and the team sure as **** isn’t crying about this. They’ll be focused even more. Just play who is in front of you and the defense will travel.

It’s going to be UConn vs. Iowa State in East regional final, in Boston. Playing in front of 15k+ of their fans. ISU is going to pull this off and it is going to be awesome.

Everyone just get on board. This team is different.
You had me at “Tj and the team sure as **** isn’t crying about this.” I agree with this and the rest of your post. Our two losses against them they went in to win titles. Let’s hope our guys are not only not scared but getting meaner and more determined by the game to win a title. If you want to be the best you’ve got to beat the best!! Woooooo!!!

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Every team in the East region got screwed with the way the bracket was filled out. ISU has been fortunate in past seasons to make the field with 5-9 and 7-11 conference records. We've never been on the wrong side of the bubble. So I'm trying to avoid throwing another pity party. There's a lot of work for the team to do to get to the Elite 8. Hopefully they carry forward the same mindset they had going to KC.
When did they get in while being 5-9 in conference?